Memories of the .303 Lee Enfield

That is one sweet looking SMLE. Looks to be in top condition.
Thanks. It was FTR in '55 and I can only assume it was dressed up externally at that time. The furniture has been sanded back quite a bit and then appears to have been varnished, almost as if to create a parade rifle or similar. A little too flashy honestly. It has no butt markings remaining so I cant research any issuing but it appears to have been used very little, mechanically it's A1.
As a bonus it came with a nifty foresight cap which many have but this one includes a tab that extends down to cover the muzzle.

Shot my first deer with a .303 Jungle Carbine back in 1987.

3D145B99-4CEB-42D9-B073-9E40825CFA97.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard on the ears those guys, whats with the Black & White or did you mine 1977 ?

My uncle was a contempory of the good keen man era and at over 80 now has a great store of stories arround that time and the rifles they used.
I like the 303 and have built a number of lee speed styled rifles on the MLE platform and have one in my safe for the simple reason that I think every anzac should have one in their keeping. Still a cartridge and rifle combination that is as capable today as it was 120 years ago.
Superior to a 308 in every way and can fire much heavier bullets . The old No1 Mark iii Lee Enfield was and remains very common in OZ.

Woodleigh made a 240 grain for .311 bullets , Weldcore on custom basis to see and try . In loading manual they write if given a large commercial order for them , they would make it .
No idea how it would be possible
Now .

Woodleigh made a 240 grain for .311 bullets , Weldcore on custom basis to see and try . In loading manual they write if given a large commercial order for them , they would make it .
No idea how it would be possible
Now .
It would take a group buy and in reality every one in the group would need to be in the one country. I have now standardized my home loads for the 303 to 174 grain soft points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamamelody

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]