Mediums that perform

I only have experience in Africa with a 300win mag. My first trip over this past June. I used 180accubond bullets hand loaded going just under 3000fps. I didn’t realize just how tough the animals were going to be. If I ever used a 300WM again I would definitely use heavier bullets or smaller animals. I think I only had one shot that was a pass thru, it was on a Zebra just shy of 200yards. They thought I missed it. Next shot was a frontal shot and they thought I missed again. I knew I hadn’t. There was no reaction from it at all. As it was running away I started to see the blood pumping out and it finally fell over. The sable did react to shot it was only 50-60yards away quartering to me. I drilled it low shoulder. I hit it once more, and another follow up shot afterwards. Waterbuck was right at 200yards. Hit it low front shoulder area and it reacted as well but was out of sight so fast it wasn’t funny. Perfect heart shot and it went 50-75 yards. My first purchase when I got home was a 9.3x62. Followed by a 375h&h, and last week I picked up a 338win mag. I don’t plan on taking a 300WM back to Africa, unless the kids want it for smaller stuff, but the small stuff they shot with a 6.5creedmoor and it did fine. We used 129long range accubonds, only one bullet was recovered from a blesbuck. They shot impala and blesbuck with it

300WM is an awesome cartridge launched in 1963. With proper shot placement and bullets it is a bulldozer. Your shot placement looks great I am not a big fan of Nosler. I like Barnes 180 grain TSX and Berger 185 grain VLDs.

8mm Rem Mag is SO overlooked, but anything the 300 H&H will do, it will do a whole lot better.
BTW is there such a thing as 375 H&H necked down to 35?
Released in 1965 the 350RM (Remington Magnum) is based on the 7mmRM, with that being base on the 375H&H...so it's a .35 caliber based on the 375H&H. By most accounts this cartridge has found it's way to the graveyard, so you would probably need to handload cartridges. Not sure if anyone company is making them.

I’ve hunted with a Brno ZG47 in 8x60S for the last 15 years or so. 180gr TSX at 2750fps or 200gr Nosler Partition at 2650fps. Both loads are deadly on all plains game.

Its funny as I list 30 and below as small, 8mm-375 as med. With this in mind the two 338's I have experience with are the 338WM (elk and black bear) . and My wife took possesion of the 338 Ruger Compact Mag and has shot over 20 specis from croc, blue wildebeest down to steenbok. I have shot more game with the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 than with any other mediums and when I reach in the safe 9 out of 10 times the 338 and 375's stay in the safe. For the 375's it is hard to go wrong (Exception is the 375 win, to small a case for the bigger plains game and has no place in the DG area) The 375 H&H, 375 Ruger and 375 weatherby are my three favorite. Currently working with a 376 steyr but havent shot anything with it yet. Outta the mediums I have the 9.3's are my go to.
Hi AZDAVE,

I see you are very pleased with your 9.3s. Can you share the bullets and velocities that have worked for you?

8mm Rem Mag is SO overlooked, but anything the 300 H&H will do, it will do a whole lot better.
BTW is there such a thing as 375 H&H necked down to 35?
@steve white
Yes there is or the 8mm rem mag necked up. It's call the 358 Shooting Times Westerner. Very very potent.
Bob

I’ve killed many PG with a 7MM REM MAG up to Eland. Killed several elk, black tail deer, antelope, pigs, and coyote. I started out with Accubond, switched to partitions, and settled on Barnes TTSX and TSX. That 7MM was very effective to 330 yards!

I’ve replaced the 7MM with a .300 RUM to increase my distance. I shoot 210 Berger VLD hunting bullets through the 300 RUM and so far that combination worked well on a couple Elk. I have Barnes LRX that I’m looking forward to loading and trying.

I’ve used .375 H&H on Sable, Giraffe, Zebra, Croc, Buff, Impala, and probably a Warthog or two. 270, 300, and 350 Grain Barnes all work great! I’ll take my .375 H&H to Russia for Moose and Bear if Kamchatka opens back up in the next year or two.., Otherwise. Alaska.

I’m not certain I’d bring my .300 RUM to Africa. At least not for what I’m after. Roan, Tiny Ten, smaller PG or Small cats and of course I have other DG I’m interested in…

I enjoyed using my .243 and .375, so that’s the likely combination I’ll take on my next Safari. I’m certain I’ll continue to use Barnes bullets.

Now that NZ has opened back up, I’ll take my 300 RUM when I go. Also on North American animals.

The 358 sounds interesting. What load did you like?
Try 225grn Swift A-Frame over W748 or Varget for 2530fps. Hits like Thor's hammer! Got the load from early Barnes load manual. 225grn Barnes TSX too long and compress the powder more than I care for.

I have a few medium bores; .325 WSM, 9.3x62 and .375 H&H.

My .325 has proven to be a very effective long range rifle. I am shooting very good groups out to 600. I have only shot deer with it, but it hits them hard at long range.

There’s not much to pick between the 9.3 & .375. I lean toward the 9.3 more due to the lighter weight than any belief that there is any practical ballistic difference between the two cartridges. Terminal performance of both with Swift A-Frames is outstanding.

7MM RM is another highly versatile cartridge for PG and most American lower 48 states and some Alaska species. .284 Jarrett with Berger 195 grain Elite Hunter VLDs at 476 yards.
tempImageEXeZu5.png

Its funny as I list 30 and below as small, 8mm-375 as med. With this in mind the two 338's I have experience with are the 338WM (elk and black bear) . and My wife took possesion of the 338 Ruger Compact Mag and has shot over 20 specis from croc, blue wildebeest down to steenbok. I have shot more game with the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 than with any other mediums and when I reach in the safe 9 out of 10 times the 338 and 375's stay in the safe. For the 375's it is hard to go wrong (Exception is the 375 win, to small a case for the bigger plains game and has no place in the DG area) The 375 H&H, 375 Ruger and 375 weatherby are my three favorite. Currently working with a 376 steyr but havent shot anything with it yet. Outta the mediums I have the 9.3's are my go to.
Experience speaks; 'nuf said.

If its not DG I use a 35 Whelen, its been my go to cartridge for years. With bullets weights ranging from 180 to 310 grain everything under 2000 pounds is on the menu. If you like hunting before you pull the trigger use a 35 Whelen, if you enjoy hunting for small speck of blood with a flashlight after you shoot stay away from the medimum bores.

I used 338 federal for first safari took impala kudu blue wildebeest blesbuck warthog here in northern BC 2 black bears whitetail deer, mule deer
338-06AI 2 Black-bear
338 win mag elk moose
9.3x62 black bear bison
350 Rem Mag black bear white tail deer
8mm Rem mag black bear coyotes
375 H&H elk black bear

All very capable cartridges 338 Federal Sako 185 TSX and 338-06AI 250 woodleigh custom Sako rifle
Lots of them and not known to be very friendly in the north but are an apex predator and your just an easy meal if not paying attention

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleby

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]