Massacres in Burkina Faso

jpr9954

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
I don't think I'd be hunting in Burkina Faso for the time being. This was put out by the US State Department and the Government of the United Kingdom this morning.
https://www.state.gov/joint-statement-on-civilian-massacres-and-media-suspensions-in-burkina-faso/
https://www.state.gov/joint-statement-on-civilian-massacres-and-media-suspensions-in-burkina-faso/

The following joint statement was released by the Governments of the United Kingdom and the United States of America.

The Governments of the United Kingdom and the United States are gravely concerned by reports of massacres of civilians by Burkinabe military forces in late February. A recent Human Rights Watch report details first-hand accounts of the execution of at least 223 civilians, including 56 children, in the villages of Nondin and Soro in Burkina Faso’s Yatenga province. We call on the Transition Authorities to thoroughly investigate these massacres and hold those responsible to account.

We offer our deepest condolences to the loved ones of all victims of violence perpetrated in Burkina Faso in recent months, including Christians and Muslims murdered by terrorist groups in their places of worship, and members of the armed forces who have been killed. We call on all actors in Burkina Faso to respect human rights and adhere to international humanitarian law as applicable. The only long-term solution to the scourge of terrorism is expanding good governance based on the rule of law, respect for human rights, and promotion of social cohesion.

We strongly oppose the suspensions of media outlets, including VOA and the BBC, the blocking of Human Rights Watch’s website, and restrictions placed on all media from reporting on their articles. This decision coincides with World Press Freedom Day on May 3, which reminds us that societies are strengthened, not threatened, by well-informed publics and expressions of opinion. Free and independent media must be permitted to conduct investigations and good-faith reporting without fear of reprisals. We strongly urge Burkina Faso’s Superior Council of Communication (CSC) to reconsider its suspensions of media outlets.

Nothing new about the terrorist activities making Burkina Faso an unsafe hunting destination for the last few years. However a new wrinkle is that earlier this year, Putin dispatched his 'Africa Corps' to prop up the Burkina Faso Government. As a consequence I doubt that hunters from a western county could count on any support, and in fact may be targetted by both the terrorists and the Government forces.

I don't think I'd be hunting in Burkina Faso for the time being. This was put out by the US State Department and the Government of the United Kingdom this morning.

The following joint statement was released by the Governments of the United Kingdom and the United States of America.

The Governments of the United Kingdom and the United States are gravely concerned by reports of massacres of civilians by Burkinabe military forces in late February. A recent Human Rights Watch report details first-hand accounts of the execution of at least 223 civilians, including 56 children, in the villages of Nondin and Soro in Burkina Faso’s Yatenga province. We call on the Transition Authorities to thoroughly investigate these massacres and hold those responsible to account.

We offer our deepest condolences to the loved ones of all victims of violence perpetrated in Burkina Faso in recent months, including Christians and Muslims murdered by terrorist groups in their places of worship, and members of the armed forces who have been killed. We call on all actors in Burkina Faso to respect human rights and adhere to international humanitarian law as applicable. The only long-term solution to the scourge of terrorism is expanding good governance based on the rule of law, respect for human rights, and promotion of social cohesion.

We strongly oppose the suspensions of media outlets, including VOA and the BBC, the blocking of Human Rights Watch’s website, and restrictions placed on all media from reporting on their articles. This decision coincides with World Press Freedom Day on May 3, which reminds us that societies are strengthened, not threatened, by well-informed publics and expressions of opinion. Free and independent media must be permitted to conduct investigations and good-faith reporting without fear of reprisals. We strongly urge Burkina Faso’s Superior Council of Communication (CSC) to reconsider its suspensions of media outlets.
Problem there is you cannot trust the media anymore. Real shame!

Hunting has been closed there for a few years due to terrorism. Too bad, they had some really unique opportunities and what looked like good game numbers.

Problem there is you cannot trust the media anymore. Real shame!

you can trust the media on this one (or at least trust that there is absolutely a problem and that Burkina isnt really a good option for any optional or recreational travel right now...

we've (my firm) had guys in and out of West Africa regularly for the last decade.. things are degrading in most of West Africa, with only a few exceptions.. one of which is not Burkina..

Which is honestly a serious shame... I havent been there personally in a very long time (I think the last time I was boots on the ground in Burkina was 2006)... but there used to be a fabulous little french restaurant in Ouagadougou that had all sorts of art and artifacts all over the walls that were used for decor, that was all for sale.. the food was excellent, the service was great, the ambiance was very cool and eclectic.. I wish I could remember the name of the place (it was something in French lol).. but it was a super neat experience that I wish I could at some point have taken my wife and/or kids to see..

I was hunting regularly in Burkina Faso for years and for private reasons I continue to have regular contact with a person in this country. The situation is dramatic, security as well as economical. Most of the country is no longer under control, so it is not advisable for any foreigner to go there. Hunting is definitely over. The hunting areas in the east of the country are in one of the most dangerous zones.

They have been killing the wildlife to feed the soldiers, didn't I hear? BF was one of the strongholds for lion, but predators need prey to survive.

The lion population was very high in the eastern hunting area, I spotted a few almost every day, but there was also a lot of prey. Lions were rarely hunted, there were extremely few licenses.

I assume that the wildlife situation must be desolate at the moment, and I am particularly worried about the approximately 1500 high elephant population that still existed in this area.

Nothing new about the terrorist activities making Burkina Faso an unsafe hunting destination for the last few years. However a new wrinkle is that earlier this year, Putin dispatched his 'Africa Corps' to prop up the Burkina Faso Government. As a consequence I doubt that hunters from a western county could count on any support, and in fact may be targetted by both the terrorists and the Government forces.
It's things like this that make me worry about the short-medium term future of hunting in places like Central Asia. I could see things getting pretty ugly for visiting Western hunters in Central Asian countries in the event that Putin decides to flex his muscles in the region.

AMERICA WILL FIX IT
Before 2009, US aid to Burkina Faso (BF) was nil.....about $200,000 per year. This could not go on.

"though the Country was home to no specific terrorist threats during this time, and certainly none to the US, the US Govt began supplying a significant influx of funding, weapons, and training to Burkina Faso's military. .....there was little reason to be confident that the BF military would be a good steward of America's generous support".....Council on Global Affairs, Chicago.
By 2019, BF's military was fully funded, up 3 fold.

12 days ago another $55 million given to augment the $158 million last year and the $175 mil the year before. Will any of it get to the children? Or will it be used to kill them? Blinken Intervention 101.
FWB

AMERICA WILL FIX IT
Before 2009, US aid to Burkina Faso (BF) was nil.....about $200,000 per year. This could not go on.

"though the Country was home to no specific terrorist threats during this time, and certainly none to the US, the US Govt began supplying a significant influx of funding, weapons, and training to Burkina Faso's military. .....there was little reason to be confident that the BF military would be a good steward of America's generous support".....Council on Global Affairs, Chicago.
By 2019, BF's military was fully funded, up 3 fold.

12 days ago another $55 million given to augment the $158 million last year and the $175 mil the year before. Will any of it get to the children? Or will it be used to kill them? Blinken Intervention 101.
FWB
I bet all that one went to the pockets of 10 people, all arms sold to the same terrorist they are supposed to repel. It’s a conundrum.

Its been pretty much a no go for some time. No doubt a few of the more adventurous types may have hunted there in the past few years, but its got problems.
I had a trip almost booked about 5 years ago now and backed out of it. Too risky.

Sadly, it's Burkina Faso military that is blamed for executing the 56 children. US funded military. When American tax dollars floods these poor countries, competition for wealth leads to waring of factions and chaos. Hunting is a collateral casualty. .........FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobbinRobb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg