Mass killings - some food for thought

As my wife will confirm, my most common comment is - "most people are stupid". And, with the changing demographics of the USA due to the school systems being invaded by liberal teachers and managers for the last 30+ years the younger populace (which now amounts to a majority of the citizens) has been indoctrinated into the "gun ban" mentality with very little information passed on about how this country was founded and why we have the Second Amendment. Secondly, and most sadly, most just don't care about the governance of the country. They just want to be left alone to move through their lives in quiet desperation. When most can't locate Colorado on a map of the USA how can we expect them to understand basic Economics or the Bill of Rights? The fact remains - most people are stupid and/or don't care. Thomas Jefferson could have been very correct when he said that "only the landed gentry should have the franchise to vote".
I'll get off my soap box now. Vent, vent, vent.

Cliffy, you're right...the thing is that all this started with OUR generation! Where did we loose the plot? Our fathers instilled all the right stuff in us (they certainly had it...or mine did at least!) and we lost it somewhere! I believe the 'political correctness' thing is largely to blame....and our acceptance of it!! I think after the Iraq and Afgan conflicts are done, there'll be a lot more men out there that are accustomed to standing up and fighting for what they believe and maybe we'll see a return to things more disciplined?! I was watching a program on TV of 3 brothers...2 went to Iraq as special ops type soldiers and the 3rd went to see what his brothers were up to and do a documentary on what made them tick....one was back on R&R and became irritated at the pettiness of people in walmart whining about this and that! His attitude was 'suck it up or change it' and I believe you'll see a new generation emerge in the US in due course. We can hope anyhow! :)

Hello. Good post. However the 2nd amendment is not about personal self defense. It is the afirmation, by the then newly formed government, of God given human rights (as was the rest of the bill of rights); specifically the means to resist tyranny by a duely constituted government. Being armed keeps power in the hands of the citizens. That is why governments, including ours, want a disarmed populace. Gun control is about control, not guns. The 2nd amendment is not about self defense or hunting. Those are just side benefits for citizens to enjoy.
Best,
jpj3
Sorry to disagree but if a defending against a tyrant government is not a form of self defense then we live on different planets. Our forefathers new what they were doing when they made it the number 2 amendment. If it didn't have prominence and importance it would not have been part of the original ten.

Hello 1OH,
I don't think either one of us is from another planet (I'm not, anyway!) but our founding fathers began fighting a war against tyranny with the "shot heard 'round the world" at Lexington and Concord when British Soldiers left Boston to confiscate the local Militia's arms and powder stores and failed to do so as the Militia (every able bodied man over 18) had their required personal arms and were able to resist successfully.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The wording of the 2nd Amendment reflects that intent as I wrote above which is why the words "State" and "militia" are included but does not limit "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" in any way by our government at a Federal level. "To secure a Free State". All able bodied men are the militia. "Keep and Bear arms". This Right "shall not be infringed."

When proposed as an addition to the newly proposed Constitution (so several of the States would ratify to it), the Bill of Rights was felt by many to list such basic fundamental concepts of Liberty in a Free People, several states would not sign it (as common law was well understood and debated at town hall meeting, in pubs and gathering places rather than football, etc.) that the listing of some rights and the omission of other, non-enumerated rights for future Americans and hense the 9th and 10th Amendments (which have been ignored most of the past century!). Personal self defense and the means to do so was one of the benefits God gave a free people as expressed by our founders and supported by the 2nd and non-enummerated 10th Amendment Rights. The entire Constitution defined the role of the Federal Government and limitations of its power and authority. It does not limit the actions of a free people. Which include resisting tyranny and personal self defense.

Best,
jpj3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YYSBridget

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.