HookMeUpII

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, Georgia, RSA
I just finished listening to JH Patterson's Maneaters of Tsavo (and other African Adventures) on Spotify. First off, great book. Seems to go in chronological order of events. The Tsavo happenings are about 30-40% of the book and the rest is Patterson's adventures in-country concurrently and thereafter. Seems like the maneater occurrences happened just as he arrived in country.

So the burning question I have: Were man-eating cats really that big of an issue back in the turn of the 20th century and such? Why don't we have these issues now?

The book addresses the man-eating pair, but in his mentioning after, there were several other problematic lions in various locales. Wasn't like it just the two old, exiled/injured males had their fun.

Interestingly enough, the Indian tiger, Chimpawat, killed about 400 souls around that time in India/Nepal as well. I am currently in the middle of "No Beast so Fierce." Jim Corbett is the savior there. That tiger apparently had a poacher bullet in it which rendered it injured.

I just can't seem to understand how these issues don't present themselves currently? Maybe it was just the influx of Europeans back then was so new and created crowding? Maybe we know enough now? Are we just smarter to not get eaten?

There are less then 4,000 tigers left in India. Approx 40-50 people are killed by them every year, excluding any attacks that may not get reported accurately.
There were approx 40,000 tigers back in Jim Corbetts day.

There are less then 4,000 tigers left in India. Approx 40-50 people are killed by them every year, excluding any attacks that may not get reported accurately.
There were approx 40,000 tigers back in Jim Corbetts day.

Makes sense. I assume the same situations with lions?

They do occur, frequently I hear, although it isn’t a grand idea to advertise such shenanigans as getting eaten by any of the assorted wooly buggers in Africa be it lions, crocodiles, hyenas, etc., bad for tourism

They do occur, frequently I hear, although it isn’t a grand idea to advertise such shenanigans as getting eaten by any of the assorted wooly buggers in Africa be it lions, crocodiles, hyenas, etc., bad for tourism

I've sort of come to hear this as well. The one constant in Africa: You should probably stay away from larger bodies of water. Nothing good ever seems to happen on the banks.

The whole not wandering around at night seems like a good idea too.

The pages below are from Chapter VI of my autobiography. Hopefully, it will provide some insight into human-wildlife conflict involving Royal Bengal tigers in our part of the world.

It also details the reasons why Royal Bengal tigers become man eaters. The same reasons also apply to lions & leopards in Asia & Africa.
IMG_20240823_021236.jpg
IMG_20240823_021253.jpg
IMG_20240823_021309.jpg
IMG_20240823_021321.jpg
IMG_20240823_021335.jpg

IMG_20240823_021339.jpg
IMG_20240823_021351.jpg

Go read up on the man-eaters of Njombe -George Rushby, read “The hunter is death” by TV Bulpin if you want a book on it. By far worse and more people than Tsavo. Patterson and the fact that the Tsavo lions targeted the Indian railway workers, who was building the track for the British, made them more notorious…

Then there are the various man-eaters of the Kruger (all contained in various books of KNP game rangers).

Then there is Mfuwe, and few lesser known. It still happens today, but I believe with modern technology and ease to notify authorities etc, they are quickly killed as PAC animals before it escalates such as Njombo or to a lesser degree Tsavo.

Last edited:
One thing to remember about the early 1900’s. Africa was undergoing a huge rinderpest epidemic. Most of the lions and other predators prey was almost non existent. Some claim that only 1 out of 10,000 buffalo survived, they had to eat something. The Patterson story may be before this epidemic I haven’t read it in a while.

I have a book that goes in-depth on the lions of Tsavo, I will find it tonight and get the exact title.

I am about to start reading No Beast So Fierce. I've had it for a while, but haven't had a chance yet.

No beast so fierce was very enjoyable.
One of my buddies in the "whiskey and the wise" book club had that as his choice a few years back.
Loved it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaulEqm871

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!