Making a Standard Long Action Model 70 Into a Magnum Action

APolizzi11916

Reaction score
I am just trying to see what is required to take a pre 64 model 70 in a standard long action (30-06/270win) and convert it into a magnum length action able to fit h&h length ammo.

Any help is appreciated
-Andrew

They are all the same length, but this article shows the differences in magazine box and side rails. The H&H had a little bit of the rear bridge cut out to lengthen the ejection port, but it’s mostly for ease of loading.

Attachments

• Making sense of the pre-64 model 70 receiver – pre64win.com.pdf
    794.7 KB · Views: 9
They are all the same length, but this article shows the differences in magazine box and side rails. The H&H had a little bit of the rear bridge cut out to lengthen the ejection port, but it’s mostly for ease of loading.
Interesting. The folks at Winchester were very crafty back then.

Thanks for info

True all Model 70 actions were the same length and the H&H length was achieved by removing metal.

Same was done with many of the '98 Mauser actions. The MarkX, Whitworth, Santa Barbers and most of the English and German small shop builds, and even some of the larger firms used "Standard" length Mauser actions simply opened up to accept the longer length.

Metal is always removed, but if done correctly safety will not be compromised, but of course the action is a bit weaker.

Some look at the bottom lug of the Mark X in the H&H length and it's almost knife like top edge of the lower lug and shudder....but as far as I know they have never failed as a result of the modification.

The Savage 110 is another example of a standard length actions being opened up to accept H&H lengths, although that metal was only removed from the rear of the action just ahead of the bolt. I believe after the mid '90's all of the Savage 110's so called standard length actions were long enough to handle the longer cartridge. I believe that mostly came about when they started chambering the RUM and STW cartridges, for production cost reasons. If you look at a 110 pre mid '90's you will see about 3/8" of metal just ahead of the bolt when it is at the rear of it's travel, in later models that metal is gone, hence the longer length.

Yes, the changes to Winchester receivers to handle magnum length were not unlike what Jeffery and others did to standard 98 Mauser actions. I am intrigued by Wichester changes to extractor. Seems they did more than just reshape the claw.

This is from old gun digest, if this can at least partially help:

LONG ACTION ON 375 AND 3006.jpg

Hi AP,

D'arcy Echols, one of the best if not THE BEST gunmaker in the USA, used to prefer to start from a standard Pre 64 30-06 lenght to make a H&H one. That because this way the action can be opened more to the rear than only to the front. Anyway, I have a factory Pre 64 (1954) 375 H&H that works flawlessly to say the least. Feeds and extract as if there were no cartridges at all...

Good luck!

CF

Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc just finished the conversion your asking about for me. Feed and function are spot on. You will need a different mag box, follower, and extractor. The extractor is the hard part, I have a spare H&H mag box that is excess to my needs as I'm using Sunny Hill bottom metal if you need one. D'arcy Echols has an excellent lesson on how he does this conversion, you can find it on his blog.

Extractor issue can be a problem if cutting back the bridge (back ring). Cut too much and extractor slips out of its retainer groove when bolt is being cycled. This can be fixed if one can find a longer stemmed magnum length extractor but seems there are no aftermarket sources these days, not even for Mausers. Duane Weibe's method is to remove just enough metal inside the bridge/ring to allow the longer thicker cartridge to be ejected. Just enough removed to keep the end of extractor locked in its channel. Fortunately, 404J can clear the standard Mauser locking ring without cutting it back but just barely so I didn't have to modify that. Curious if it would be necessary to trim Model 70 ring for 404?

I am just trying to see what is required to take a pre 64 model 70 in a standard long action (30-06/270win) and convert it into a magnum length action able to fit h&h length ammo.

Any help is appreciated
-Andrew
Your smith will need to do some cutting.

Depending on where you’re located or willing to send the gun, we might be able to throw a few names your way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BW32

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!