Making a smokeless 8-bore cartridge

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I was sitting around bored today and decided it might be fun to make a small tutorial of how I make cartridges for my 8-bore 3.25" double rifle. Use at your own risk!

1. I start with a primed 3.25" case and 67gr of Alliant Blue Dot.
powder charge.jpg

2. Next is four 1/2" cushion wads, three overshot cards, and one 1/8" nitro card. This stack-up is simply what I found got the bullet to sit properly at the top of the case and has not been tweaked for accuracy reasons. These are pressed over the powder using tools included in the 8-bore load kit from RMC. A simple dowel would work as well but getting the thick cushion wads started can be a little difficult.
wads and bullet.jpg

3. For the projectile I typically use the 84-1200 mold from Accurate Molds. Mine was customized to produce a 0.850" bullet. I also have a push through sizing die that was custom made for me by a gentleman off another forum. The alloy I'm currently using (random scrap lead) is producing 0.849" bullets weighing it at 1240gr.
1200gr 85 caliber.jpg

weight.jpg

4. For seating the bullet, I simply put a little Duco Cement around the forward driving band and push the bullets in by hand. I haven't tested this glue extensively, but the idea is to prevent the bullet from shifting under recoil instead of crimping. I got the idea from a black powder cartridge forum and have been testing it in recent loads. Here is the final result:
end product.jpg

Lastly here is a picture of the assorted components used in the making of this cartridge:
components.jpg

Fantastic thank you for posting that info, I only load black in my 8Ga shotguns so far as wads are a real hassle to get in NZ.

Been going to build a 8bore rifle on a shotgun action for over 10yrs have barrels & kiln gun cases (what I use in my shotguns as well) & RB mould I was going to use Nitro in this as it will be a bit lighter & the Nitro has a bit less recoil, even less with the 850gr or so RB load .

Fantastic thank you for posting that info, I only load black in my 8Ga shotguns so far as wads are a real hassle to get in NZ.

Been going to build a 8bore rifle on a shotgun action for over 10yrs have barrels & kiln gun cases (what I use in my shotguns as well) & RB mould I was going to use Nitro in this as it will be a bit lighter & the Nitro has a bit less recoil, even less with the 850gr or so RB load .

a ball over smokeless powder produces pretty mild recoil. I have tried the same 67gr Blue Dot load under a 0.853" ball with some success. But the terminal performance of an 8-bore ball load isn't great. So, I haven't put much effort in creating a good load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnnyOveta

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia