Magpul 700 hunter stock, worth it?

Elton

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I might be able to pick up a magpul hunter 700 stock for my new 6.5. I am sure it beats the cheap plastic stock it comes with from Remington.

My question is how practical is the magpul stock for ACTUAL HUNTING purposes? It seems to be loved in the tactical world but has anyone carried the stock while hunting? It looks somewhat unwieldy?

I have one on a short barreled 35 Whelen that I use to hunt white tails out of box blinds. It is absolutely perfect for that, however I am taking it to Zim in May for a leopard hunt, mainly due to the tremendous Meopta scope on it, so I will see how it is in the field. My impression based on the short walks to the stand it is not as handy as my Sako 375

a guy I hunt hogs with has one on his 6.5 creed... He loves it for sitting in the blind.. also loves it at the range (shoots more like a precision chassis than a traditional stock)... but isnt optimum for spot and stalk type hunting IMO...

FWIW he also has a Daniel Defense Delta 5 (a $1900 6.5 creed bolt action that comes with a similar stock and guarantees .75 MOA accuracy out of the box)... his 700 creed in the magpul stock out shoots his Delta 5.. he gets about .5 MOA out of his rifle using federal gold medal match..

Im thinking about putting a magpul hunter on a little ruger 10/22.. they make the hunter x22 for that rifle (similar, but scaled down and unfancied for a .22... ).. its affordable ($125) and while I use the rifle on rare occasion for hunting small game, its really more of a range toy that I'd like to trick out a bit and improve the performance of..

I had one. It was acceptable for precision work, assuming a stalk into a fixed position - with the rifle riding in an Eberlestock on the way in and an AR carried in the hands.

Too clunky and heavy for still hunting. Would be very nice from a box blind.

I would get a Hogue overmolded for still hunting. The one on my .375 Ruger Alaskan is hands down my Goldilocks stock. They make pillar bedded and full length block versions. Bell & Carlson carbelite stock would be a weak/distant runner-up.

Mine was a good inexpensive way to rebuild a Rem 700 308 vssf Varmit into a longer range (and more accurate) CM. More suited to shooting with bipod from bench or prone than hunting, IMO. Somewhat clunky and a little heavy for general hunting, but part of that is the light varmint contour barrel I have.

For hunting with same Caliber I would grab my plastic stocked Tikka every time.

Consider this:
My hunting buddy stiffened up and bedded his son's plastic stocked Rem 700 7mm Mag with JB Weld and it came out great, including an accuracy improvement. There is a YouTube video on how-to, including what to use for a release agent.

Put them on many a 700 clone. Nothing wrong with them.

If you are using a big 34mm 5-25x56 (for instance) you can lift the cheek weld up as they give you spacers. I really like mine. I also splurged on the bottom metal and it is really nice with the magazine box. I can't fault them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deaner20

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt