Magnum primers for 308?

Phil Giordano

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Usa, Canada, Italy
Morning Friends,
there's a Gentleman out there who can tell me why Norma reccomend using Magnum Primers (WLRM) on 308, and many others standard (non magnum) cartridges as well?
IMG-20240619-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20240619-WA0017.jpeg
IMG-20240619-WA0005.jpg

SWAG: Actual 7.62x51 uses a hotter primer with a hard cup to prevent slam fire. So something similar was used in load development by Norma for the 308W.

I load both 7.62x51 for 7.62 chambers and 308 for a bolt gun. To keep things simple, I use CCI Nato Spec LR primers for all.

I use standard Winchester large rifle primers for all of my 308’s (3x bolt guns and 2x AR10 semi autos)… never had an ignition problem with any of them, or any of the dozen or so 308’s I’ve owned previously…

I see zero reason to use a magnum primer in a 308…

I use standard Winchester large rifle primers for all of my 308’s (3x bolt guns and 2x AR10 semi autos)… never had an ignition problem with any of them, or any of the dozen or so 308’s I’ve owned previously…

I see zero reason to use a magnum primer in a 308…
Exactly
Can't understand why they publish that

I think that Normas loading recipes are 100% LRM primers, regardless of whether they are 'needed' or not. It can't possibly hurt (well, if you're into bench rest shooting or a similar extreme-precision sport, I guess you could argue against it), and you could probably decrease your load by a grain or so.

I use LRM for all of my reloading; 6.5x55, 30-06, 9.3x62 and 404J. It keeps it simple to just have one type of primer.

If I had any magnum primers left I would be guarding them as more precious than diamonds. I can buy all the diamonds I want but not magnum primers.

Several articles written on the subject. Some claim to have a more accurate round with the magnum primers. Have tried it several times without any results that would cause me to switch.

Talked to a ELR shooter last month, explained to him I was putting off building a 375 EnABLER. Availability of components has me going the other direction (22lr).
He was telling me so people are using LRP to shoot 375 Cheytac. They are lighting a charge weight over 130grs with that primer with great results (2 miles).

If we are honest with ourselves, we are still learning alot all the time if we are pushing the envelope.

Exactly
Can't understand why they publish that

Not sure what things are like in Italy, but finding magnum primers here in the USA is virtually impossible. I have a stash, but I use them only for my magnum calibers. I would not waste any on non-magnum calibers. The regular long rifle primers are difficult to find, but not impossible.

Not sure what things are like in Italy, but finding magnum primers here in the USA is virtually impossible. I have a stash, but I use them only for my magnum calibers. I would not waste any on non-magnum calibers. The regular long rifle primers are difficult to find, but not impossible.
Me, I have still more F215 than I will ever need to use - but at present day, Federal, Winch and CCI are extremely difficult to find. There are plenty of RWS and they're excellent.
This issue with US made primers supply started 4 years ago...

Try the RWS 5333!

Reactions: WAB
I've been loading for .308 Winchester since the mid 70s.

Never used a magnum primer. Loaded very moderate h380 loads with cci primers and 180 grain Speers for ne USA deep woods hunting, where my longest deer kill was about 70 yards...and that was with a .54 caliber patched round ball out of my flintlock! Most .308 kills were from 15(!) yards to maybe 40 or so...

Remington 788 with an 18 inch barrel is perfect for this type of terrain. Often thick, brushy going.

That 788 shoots lights out at 100 yards. That's just what I need it to do. I figured out a 200 yard holdover using the duplex reticle in my scope. If I anticipate any longer shots, I take my sendero .300 win mag.

Norma has done that for everything as long as anyone can remember. Their load data was pretty much the go to here in Sweden before people started using the Internet/quickload/grt for data. Norma does not sell primers so I don't think it's for financial reasons atleast.

I've seen powder manufacturers recommend magnum primers when used with spherical powders.

I can only report on what I have done, for decades...

H380, a spherical grained powder, has always done just fine for me with standard large rifle primers.

Now, as I pointed out, I was loading well below maximum recommendations for my bullet weight.

My data was derived from a Lyman reloading manual published in the 1970s, which was the latest available at that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunwinfreeapp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.