M1917 Enfield Rifle Project

Furharvester

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA
I found in my grandpa’s rifle collection what I believe is an M1917 Enfield Rifle. As best I can tell it is in its original military configuration. I’ll get pictures in the next day or two. My grandpa has passed away and we are figuring out what to do with his collection. What I am thinking about doing with the rifle is converting it to 500 Jeffery. I don’t know if I’ll ever get the chance to hunt Africa but either way I love the big bore rifles and don’t have anything in a 500. So far I have a .375 H&H, a .404 Jeffery, and a .458 win mag. My question to you guys is is the rifle worth more as is or would this make for a good starting point for an affordable 500 Jeffery. I know that I need pictures of the rifle to say one way or the other on better the way it is or build away. What are your thoughts on my idea of turning it into a big bore rifle? Thanks in advance guys.

You can definitely use the action for building a .500 Jefferey.

Between 1918-1958, Holland & Holland was building several sturdy magazine rifles on the Pattern 14 Enfield actions. This is from their 1958 catalog.

IMG_1408.png

Cogswell & Harrison was offering these until 1952.
IMG_1066.jpeg

I actually used one of these Cogswell & Harrison Pattern 14 Enfield action rifles (in .404 Jeffery) for hunting a nice hippopotamus bull on land.
IMG_1535.jpeg
IMG_1376.jpeg

If you were building a .505 Gibbs, then I would have recommended the Pattern 14 Enfield action. But for .500 Jeffery, the Enfield Model 1917 action is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
The history of the 1917 Enfield is quite interesting. It’s kinda like the poor bastard red headed stepchild of the rifle world. Produced for WW 1 because the US didn’t have enough 03 Springfields but Remington was producing Pattern 14s in 303 for the Brits. Remington felt they could quickly change over and make these in 30-06. If I remember correctly, there were some production issues between Winchester and Remington with the ability to interchange parts but that was worked out. I think Eddystone was a subsidiary of Remington that produced 1917s also. They were never popular and were never produced after WWI. Remington used up leftover actions in the Remington Model 30. I think there were more 1917s used in WWI than 03 Springfields. I have one that I “rescued“. The rifle was partially sporterized by drilling and tapping the receiver for a scope. Thankfully, they didn’t remove the ears but managed to use the existing screw holes for the rear sight for the rear mount (yes it was ugly). I removed the scope and mounts, plugged the holes and found another rear sight so it wasn’t a major effort, it’s just a shooter. I take the 1917 Enfield, Springfield 03-A3 and a M1 Garand to the local range on July 4 and Memorial Day to celebrate. My local gun shop has 3 sporterized 1917s for less than $400 dollars that have had the ears ground off and the bolt face opened up for magnum cartridges so there is no shortage of donor actions. There seems to be more interest in vintage military rifles and they are increasing in value. Enjoy your Grandfathers guns, whatever you decide.

I agree, if this gun hasn't been messed with, it's worth three, maybe four, times as much in military configuration. There are easier actions to build on. Those ears are a bugger to grind off. The 1917 and P14 had notoriously hard receivers. I'm just wrapping up a 404 Jeffery build on 98 Mauser (barrel mounted last Friday but gunsmith wanted to fix a minor issue with bolt locking for 3-position safety - I pick it up today). I bought an action with 30-06 barrel off the internet and an unfinished stock from another vendor. Then went to work. Springfield 1903 is, in my opinion, the best action to work with. Incredibly smooth cycling. I kept mine in 30-06 but have seen many built up to magnums. Mausers seem to have the most available aftermarket parts (magnum bottom metal, triggers, safeties, etc.).

I have a P14 sporterized junker in the gun closet from my late wife's grandfather's stuff. I thought about using that one for the build but those guns were formerly registered in her dad's name and that turd facilitated his other daughter stealing my daughter's inheritance (his same daughter who facilitated my wife's death texting while driving!). Needless to say, I don't speak to them and certainly don't trust him. Sadly, I think the best thing to do is take that bunch of junk to RCMP to be cut up. The real tragedy is grandpa found a military surplus WWII sniper scope and chiseled off the mounts to jerry rig it onto P14. That scope was definitely a collectable.

I think an interesting side note is that Cogswell considered .404 a large bore rifle, according to the advertisement. This goes against the view that big bores historically started at .450.
It's my understanding that 404 Jeffery was the first RIMLESS big bore cartridge (1905), followed shortly thereafter by even smaller diameter 416 Rigby (circa 1913). Both were, and still are, considered "big bore" calibers.

Still haven't had a chance to take any pictures. Thank you guys for your input. You answered my question on whether or not to use it as a starting point for a big bore project. The rifle isn't sporterized. The one thing I did notice is that the engraving in front of the ejection port was ground off. I know i read something about that on some of the rifles but can't remember what the article said now. How much does having the model number being ground off effect the value?

This picture is NOT of the exact rifle that I have it is only a picture to show the engraving that is ground off of the gun I have
1917.png

This project is still in the planning stages so nothing is set in stone for it yet. Also I unfortunately don't have a hunt planned for the rifle yet so I am in no big hurry to get the rifle built. Having a love for the big bore rifles and not being recoil sensitive I know I want to build a rifle in the 500+ group of rifles. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different calibers. 500 Jeff, 505 Gibbs, and so on. I know that the 500 Jeff and the 505 Gibbs both have factory ammo available and cost the same per round. As far as ammo on the other 500 group rifles I don't know the ammo cost or availability. Thanks in advance guys.

If I don’t go with the enfield action what others would you guys recommend? Also are there any good left handed options? I’m a lefty but have always made do with right handed guns. But if I’m making a custom rifle why not have it the best way possible for me.

@
I found in my grandpa’s rifle collection what I believe is an M1917 Enfield Rifle. As best I can tell it is in its original military configuration. I’ll get pictures in the next day or two. My grandpa has passed away and we are figuring out what to do with his collection. What I am thinking about doing with the rifle is converting it to 500 Jeffery. I don’t know if I’ll ever get the chance to hunt Africa but either way I love the big bore rifles and don’t have anything in a 500. So far I have a .375 H&H, a .404 Jeffery, and a .458 win mag. My question to you guys is is the rifle worth more as is or would this make for a good starting point for an affordable 500 Jeffery. I know that I need pictures of the rifle to say one way or the other on better the way it is or build away. What are your thoughts on my idea of turning it into a big bore rifle? Thanks in advance guys.
@Furharvester
An original M17 in good condition is worth money now as most were cut up and sporterised.
You could convert it to 500 Jeffery but it would probably be cheaper to buy on 2nd hand and keep the M17 as is
Just my thoughts
Bob

@Hunt
You can definitely use the action for building a .500 Jefferey.

Between 1918-1958, Holland & Holland was building several sturdy magazine rifles on the Pattern 14 Enfield actions. This is from their 1958 catalog.

View attachment 546186
Cogswell & Harrison was offering these until 1952.
View attachment 546189

I actually used one of these Cogswell & Harrison Pattern 14 Enfield action rifles (in .404 Jeffery) for hunting a nice hippopotamus bull on land.
View attachment 546191View attachment 546190

If you were building a .505 Gibbs, then I would have recommended the Pattern 14 Enfield action. But for .500 Jeffery, the Enfield Model 1917 action is perfectly fine.
@Hunter Habib
The old P14s and M17s are massive actions built like a brick outhouse with silky smooth action that can handle the big cartridges with ease.
Bob

If I don’t go with the enfield action what others would you guys recommend? Also are there any good left handed options? I’m a lefty but have always made do with right handed guns. But if I’m making a custom rifle why not have it the best way possible for me.
@Furharvester
My mate @peter who has the same problem being a southpaw. All his rifles are left handed.
He even has a Weatherby MKV in 404 Jeffery left handed. Yes you did read correctly.
Bob

@Hunt

@Hunter Habib
The old P14s and M17s are massive actions built like a brick outhouse with silky smooth action that can handle the big cartridges with ease.
Bob
You know...
When you aren't on one of your fiendish .243 Winchester burning crusades, you and I actually agree on a lot !

You know...
When you aren't on one of your fiendish .243 Winchester burning crusades, you and I actually agree on a lot !
@Hunter Habib
We actually agree on more than you realise but we will NEVER see eye to eye on the 243.
At the moment I have the opportunity to but a 30 Newton on an M17 action complete with brass and dies. Unfortunately my Whelen fills my needs otherwise I would be all over it. If it was a 35 Newton I would be on it quicker than a seagull on a hot French frie.
Bob

@Hunter Habib
We actually agree on more than you realise but we will NEVER see eye to eye on the 243.
At the moment I have the opportunity to but a 30 Newton on an M17 action complete with brass and dies. Unfortunately my Whelen fills my needs otherwise I would be all over it. If it was a 35 Newton I would be on it quicker than a seagull on a hot French frie.
Bob
Bobby, you’re the resident Enfield expert. Tell me something. The stories about the Pattern 14 Enfield & M1917 Enfield actions built at the Eddystone factory being brittle… are they true ?

I always liked the Remington made actions myself. But never noticed anything brittle about the Eddystone ones.

Bobby, you’re the resident Enfield expert. Tell me something. The stories about the Pattern 14 Enfield & M1917 Enfield actions built at the Eddystone factory being brittle… are they true ?

I always liked the Remington made actions myself. But never noticed anything brittle about the Eddystone ones.
I thought that was only some of the early Springfields (and only a very few).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345

Latest profile posts

Ready for the next hunt
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg