Luxury exotic animal hunt in Texas?

Tommy_Fontaine

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Canada, USA
Do any of you have first hand experience hunting exotic animals on a luxury ranch in Texas? I know this has been asked before, but I didn't see a response that was not based on the cost of Texas vs Africa. I'm looking for what was the experience like?

Do any of you have first hand experience hunting exotic animals on a luxury ranch in Texas? I know this has been asked before, but I didn't see a response that was not based on the cost of Texas vs Africa. I'm looking for what was the experience like?
There are some super luxurious hunts and some places to definitely avoid ( Thomson Temple)
what animals are you thinking about coming for ? What area you looking to go?

I've done three exotic hunts in Texas. One for Aoudad (which you can also hunt free range), one for Axis, and one for Mouflon. All the hunts were on properties big enough they were as real as any other hunt. I did them all on foot, not riding around in high rack trucks. Pick a place like 777 Ranch or its competitors and you will have a fine time.

I wouldn’t saw I’ve done “luxury hunts” in Texas but I go to the same family ranch every year and hunt axis, pigs, Catalina goat, Aoudad sheep and occasionally something else. It’s high fence but big to where it’s hunting because you can spend days looking for the specific animal you want. The accommodations are nice. We usually opt to sit blinds over water or feeders morning and evening and hunt by glassing from ridges midday. I don’t usually hunt the trophies as the price is high (one axis buck is more than two plane tickets to Johannesburg). I usually hunt culls, does, ewes, Nannie’s, and pigs. Usually end up spending about $1500 for 3-4 days and shoot 5-10 animals which are mostly pigs. This year I took an Aoudad ewe, axis doe, broke horn cull Catalina goat and three pigs. My buddies took another 5 pigs, two axis does, and a Texas dall ram that.
38D1A0CD-CED2-4D06-8E50-BDFDD10ADB02.jpeg
7D7C2FA7-E592-4366-B0CC-D1E0253A887D.jpeg
363D777C-04BD-4A7C-8B47-304485C77EA8.jpeg
F8EE6B21-1D92-45AD-AEB0-B593A2C7A57D.jpeg

@Jeff505 and I hunted the OX Ranch near Uvalde. I think it fits the description of a luxury ranch! The facilities are over the top. Rustic but very high-end. Jeff and I wondered how they expect to recoup that investment by selling hunting trips! We hunted axis deer, which turned out to be a very sporting hunt. They were switched on. However there was a bunch of them! I think they were more sporting to hunt because they are on the lower end of the price scale. That means they probably get chased a lot! On the other end of the scale, were the Pere David Deer. Hugely expensive. As a result, they were as tame as domestic livestock. Not much sport involved in harvesting one of them.

Recordbuck Ranch in Utopia, TX ran a special a few years back for cow elk so we hunted with them (IIRC it was like $900.. and included 2 nights stay in the lodge, meals, etc).. so we gave them a try... Super friendly people.. the lodge is very comfortable.. food was very good, etc.. and we ate a lot of elk over the next year :)

https://www.recordbuck.com/

We also did a Corsican Ram and Texas Dall Sheep combo package with The Wildlife Ranch several years ago in Mason, TX.. this is NOT a luxury exotics location.. they have some very good animals.. and they pitch an "african" type hunting experience (cruise the property on the back of the bakkie, spot animals, then stalk, etc)... we chose to do everything on foot (left the vehicles at the gate) since the property was only about 1500 acres that we were hunting and we knew it had a dense population of sheep and goats.. The animals and overall experience was good for the price.. people were super friendly and helpful.. but.. the lodge is more of a bunk house type situation.. you bring your own food.. etc (more like spending a few days at deer camp than visiting a luxury location)..

I know a lot of guys here on AH have hunted with @gizmo with Rockin G Ranch and all have provided very positive hunt reports.. Rockin G is definitely on my short list of places to visit the next time we want to chase an exotic (weve talked about non trophy bison, eurasian boar, and axis deer all as possibilities)..

Recordbuck Ranch in Utopia, TX ran a special a few years back for cow elk so we hunted with them (IIRC it was like $900.. and included 2 nights stay in the lodge, meals, etc).. so we gave them a try... Super friendly people.. the lodge is very comfortable.. food was very good, etc.. and we ate a lot of elk over the next year :)

https://www.recordbuck.com/

We also did a Corsican Ram and Texas Dall Sheep combo package with The Wildlife Ranch several years ago in Mason, TX.. this is NOT a luxury exotics location.. they have some very good animals.. and they pitch an "african" type hunting experience (cruise the property on the back of the bakkie, spot animals, then stalk, etc)... we chose to do everything on foot (left the vehicles at the gate) since the property was only about 1500 acres that we were hunting and we knew it had a dense population of sheep and goats.. The animals and overall experience was good for the price.. people were super friendly and helpful.. but.. the lodge is more of a bunk house type situation.. you bring your own food.. etc (more like spending a few days at deer camp than visiting a luxury location)..

I know a lot of guys here on AH have hunted with @gizmo with Rockin G Ranch and all have provided very positive hunt reports.. Rockin G is definitely on my short list of places to visit the next time we want to chase an exotic (weve talked about non trophy bison, eurasian boar, and axis deer all as possibilities)..

I used to guide there (the wildlife ranch) quite often. Had a lot of great times back then.

Define luxury, I’ve been to a lot of ranches not to hunt and most of them while extremely nice, I would not call luxury.

I’ve never hunted one myself but have been to several, spoken to some for work, and know people who have.

Questions would be
What do you want to hunt? What are you looking for in terms of service and accommodations. Luxury can mean a bunch of different things to different people.

Thanks everyone for you input I will look up the suggested/ranches. Yep agreed luxury can be fairly broad depending what you have in mind. But I got what i was looking for thanks much.

Tommy

I would very much enjoy the opportunity to visit with you. I own the Rockin G Ranch here in Turkey Tx. We have had many many AH members hunt with us and we absolute love the AH crew. If you are looking for a high end hunting ranch with tons of opportunities at animals from all over the world we have you covered. We have a brand new lodge that was completed two years ago which has two private suites and can comfortably house 12 people. We have a camp hostess/ chef that is an absolutely amazing cook. We provide alcohol in moderation and have an open bar. The lodge has had fiberoptic ran to it and we have a conference room as well as an office if one needs to do some business.
Additionally, we have fishing, sporting clays, photo safaris including trips to Palo Duro Canyon (second largest canyon in the US) to see the canyon as well as the state bison herd. The bison in the park are the original plains bison that were saved by Col. Goodnight at the close of the Indian Wars. We also have our own bison herd which are of Northern Plains Bison genetics. The ranch has a full upland hunting operation as the entire ranch is a registered private bird preserve. We offer pheasant, chukar, and quail. We run registered Drahthaar's, which in my opinion, are the best all round hunting dogs. Please feel free to reach out and I am confident we can provide a first class experience for you and your family/friends.
I will be happy to provide references if you'd like as well or just post a thread asking for feedback from AH members who have hunted with us.
Thank you, Erik

Star S Ranch is first class place and big $$$$.

I've done three exotic hunts in Texas. One for Aoudad (which you can also hunt free range), one for Axis, and one for Mouflon. All the hunts were on properties big enough they were as real as any other hunt. I did them all on foot, not riding around in high rack trucks. Pick a place like 777 Ranch or its competitors and you will have a fine time.
I've hunted 777 Ranch several times. Just got an Arabian Oryx there 2 weeks ago. You have your own cabin. Maybe not "luxury" like Ox Ranch (never been there) but have tons of animals & wide selection of species, nice lodge for meals.
20230325_122345.jpg

I was at the OX this past weekend for a bachelor party. It is pretty luxurious, the facilities and food was top notch. You will not lose weight. Good population of animals and some with some good size, the amount of big blackbucks is insane.

They also have a lot of other activities and a pet kangaroo. Pretty cool overall.

Went to take a look, on what are the pricing, I was surprised to see Markhor for 11k. (triple seven ranch)
Ten times cheaper then in natural range of Pakistan!

The Champion Ranch in Texas is very luxurious. Owned by a guy that hunted with me in Colorado for mountain goat.

I've hunted 777 Ranch several times. Just got an Arabian Oryx there 2 weeks ago. You have your own cabin. Maybe not "luxury" like Ox Ranch (never been there) but have tons of animals & wide selection of species, nice lodge for meals. View attachment 528444
That’s crazy Gebo. I must have been there a few days before you bc I know that exact animal you killed. It was between that one and this one, which I finally settled on

0738BAC7-97FE-4C39-A021-8AF80717F96B.jpeg

I’ll give you my experience with the few high end exotic ranches in Texas that I’ve hunted including the recent 777. Size of the ranch is normally irrelevant as there will be smaller subdivided high fence pastures. The more expensive the animal, the smaller the pasture. Most are 200-2,000 acres each. Not all pastures will contain all types of animals. They will know which 1-4 pastures hold what you are looking for. As mentioned, the more $$$ the tamer they tend to be. I always do stalk hunt on the few I have dove which can increase the difficulty. Those animals are used to vehicle traffic daily but once you get on goit and they realize they are being hunted, it can get difficult…. ier.

I would very much enjoy the opportunity to visit with you. I own the Rockin G Ranch here in Turkey Tx. We have had many many AH members hunt with us and we absolute love the AH crew. If you are looking for a high end hunting ranch with tons of opportunities at animals from all over the world we have you covered. We have a brand new lodge that was completed two years ago which has two private suites and can comfortably house 12 people. We have a camp hostess/ chef that is an absolutely amazing cook. We provide alcohol in moderation and have an open bar. The lodge has had fiberoptic ran to it and we have a conference room as well as an office if one needs to do some business.
Additionally, we have fishing, sporting clays, photo safaris including trips to Palo Duro Canyon (second largest canyon in the US) to see the canyon as well as the state bison herd. The bison in the park are the original plains bison that were saved by Col. Goodnight at the close of the Indian Wars. We also have our own bison herd which are of Northern Plains Bison genetics. The ranch has a full upland hunting operation as the entire ranch is a registered private bird preserve. We offer pheasant, chukar, and quail. We run registered Drahthaar's, which in my opinion, are the best all round hunting dogs. Please feel free to reach out and I am confident we can provide a first class experience for you and your family/friends.
I will be happy to provide references if you'd like as well or just post a thread asking for feedback from AH members who have hunted with us.
Thank you, Erik

You won’t go wrong by choosing Erik and the Rockin’G Ranch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babawanjimba

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!