Loss of faith in gun

Tmask345

Reaction score
I'm guessing that I’m probably not the only one who has lost faith in a certain gun. It’s a tool and I know that I have had the gun fitted to me and just can’t seem to be consistent with it. Anyone else had this issue in a certain shotgun

When I started clay shooting, my father, who had been into regional and national trap shooting competition with very positive results for long time, told me to buy as my starter weapon either a Beretta 680 series or a Perazzi. Anything else wasn't worth to be considered in his opinion.

At that time I was unsure if I would have enjoyed or not clay shooting, so I chose to stay low on budget and away from Perazzi, and got myself into a 2004 Beretta 682 Gold E Sporting. I did my research and any reviewer was positively talking about this over under shotgun.

The gun came with a selective trigger commanded by inertial block, but I soon found there was no way to make that trigger reset on upper barrel after first shot on lower barrel. Otherwise choosing to shoot first upper barrel, the trigger would correctly reset on lower barrel with absolute reliability. The worse thing was that more I digged into the problem, further I found forum threads, discussions and other topics talking about that same issue experienced by shooters all around the globe. It was pointless to have it tried by other shooters, it wasn't an issue due to shotshells or my shooting stance.

And I really can't understand how one of the most appreciated and olympic winning clay guns of all times could be affected by said issue on some of its shotguns, and I am talking about one of those things where a competent armorer taking the gun apart would say everything in the inside mechanisms looks alright. I think reviewers of this gun are not stressing enough this problem that could affect some 682.

I guess the reason is one of those mysteries yet to be solved, but if I knew this before I wouldn't have chose this gun in the first place. It seems that people having this issue only solution is to convert the inertial to mechanical trigger. That's exactly what I had to do in order to solve my problem with the gun, and have it consistent.

I lost faith in my SBE2 after experiencing the Benelli “click” on a few occasions. I was constantly checking and re-checking to make sure my bolt was all the way in battery. Not ideal in a hunting situation. I will say that this gun cycled everything I put in it, it was just the singular issue I had a problem with.

This was a known problem with the SBE2 but it took a few years for me to experience it in the field. After that, it was over. I sold the shotgun with full disclosure.

I purchased a SBE3 and it restored my faith in the brand. Been using it for a couple of years now for sporting clays, goose, duck and turkey with excellent results. Bonus - all the chokes from the SBE2 fit the 3 and saved me from having to start from scratch.

I’ve also tried to ride the bolt slowly forward to make it fail, it goes into battery EVERY SINGLE TIME. Problem solved.

My Browning Gold 12g is very finicky in what it will feed reliably. For some reason, it feeds Federal waterfowl loads and nothing else. I have read that feeding is a known issue with the Gold.

I'm guessing that I’m probably not the only one who has lost faith in a certain gun. It’s a tool and I know that I have had the gun fitted to me and just can’t seem to be consistent with it. Anyone else had this issue in a certain shotgun
@Tmask345 - regarding the “gun you lost faith in” - is it a shotgun that you use to shoot well But now are shooting it poorly? (missing more targets then ever?). Or is the problem mechanical/reliability related? (It jams, fails to fire etc..?).
If the gun fits and you use to shoot it well - But now shoot it poorly it’s likely You…maybe you’ve developed a flinch or picked up some bad habit that has become ingrained in your shooting. For me, the temptation to solve the problem by buying a new gun is always a thought in my head….but buying “score” rarely works (However you do get a New gun!!)
My starting point would be to get a Lesson from a qualified instructor, worth the $200-$300 to have an NSCA level 1-2 or 3 Instructor evaluate your shooting. A good instructor will quickly determine what changes (if any) need to be made) and as importantly - do it in a Fun, non judge mental way that makes the lesson “enjoyable”. I don’t think the answer will be found on a blog - certainly Not from me

I know the feeling. To be very honest I’ve sold many rifles over not having faith in them hunting, thinking they were jinxed. I had a nice custom smokeless muzzleloader built several years ago, and I killed a deer with it the first week or so using it, and afterwards I went on a 2 year or more drought. I would hardly see deer, and definitely the nice bucks never came by. Then I missed a doe with it last year in Ohio, dumb shot in hindsight trying to head shoot her so I didn’t lose meat. That really had me thinking it was a jinxed gun. I was absolutely determined to make it work since it was an awesome shooting gun thou. I finally broke the curse this past December. I had the choice of the ML or my 45-70 in the truck seat. I grabbed the ML and went. An epic evening, probably one of the best evenings I’ve had in a long time. Tagged a nice 9ptr at 294 yards with it. Definitely glad I took the ML, I would never have attempted the shot with a lever gun. Faith restored. It only took 4-5 years…..

YES! I end up selling it. Had a pump action 35 Rem. Nice gun, missed a pack of pigs and got mad. It got sold.

Yes. A long time ago (45 years) purchased my first top and bottom single selective trigger. Planned as dedicated pheasant gun. By far the most expensive gun of any kind I had ever purchased. Really more than my meager salary could justify. From the get go…it had intermittent “bang” then “click” on second pull. Almost ruined my yearly pheasant trip. Had it fixed. Never trusted it again, never used it again for hunting… sent it down the road.

Years after that, purchased a “pump” specifically for waterfowl. Excellent fit, function and results for a couple years then sear and lock-up parts started intermittent malfunctioning from premature, excessive wear. Had it fixed and headed down the road faster than a late season canvasback with a tailwind.

I refuse to have, much less use such guns. The sad reality is that some are obviously under-engineered and made with inferior parts/materials. Human nature of remaining in a state of denial will not change that inconvenient truth- especially problematic with expensive guns.

Not so much in the gun but in my ability to shoot it. I had a Ruger Red Label. I am left handed and the amount cast on was too much for me. I could hit about 55% of the time with it. With the SKB or my SBE II I hit about 80%.

Not so much in the gun but in my ability to shoot it. I had a Ruger Red Label. I am left handed and the amount cast on was too much for me. I could hit about 55% of the time with it. With the SKB or my SBE II I hit about 80%.
@Bandera - I’m a Lefty too and shot only RH shotguns all my life. When I finally starting buy LH shotguns and later LH “cast” O/Us I thought I’d be shooting even better…..But, there was No measurable improvement or change at all. But I still like the fact I can get a gun that at least “fits” me slightly better and designed with a Lefty in mind

I have a nice Citori I picked up for a song a couple of years ago. Refinished and built a nice cherry wood case. Looks great but it doesn't fit. I can shoot trap with it okay (I can shoot trap with any gun) but low gun skeet or clays it's a waste of ammo. I tried again last year and didn't make it past station two clays. My vehicle was still close at hand so I swapped it for the A5 goose gun and cleaned up the rest.

It happens, I've sold many guns over the years due to me feeling they just weren't right for me, easy enough to load for, or just didn't fit right,....some because I grew to think they were ugly (plastic guns)

I changed CCW pieces for this reason. It’s also the same reason I put everything on paper before any trip or season—there are some days when the weather is crap, you’re tired, its been a grueling few days, but you can always fall back on the confidence you have in your equipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makeannee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.