LOP question

Axle2010

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For you boys that have experience with different make/model/style big bores tell me what you felt. I love my Model 70 375 with 13 3/4" lop and my Weatherby in 300wm is 13 3/4 so I assume that's the best lop for me but the CZ 550's that I see are 14 1/4-1/2". Is the half inch extra going to throw me off or make the felt recoil worse? I have a 12 guage that's 14 1/2 but obviously that's a different beast than a big bore rifle and I have no way of handling much less shooting one of the bb CZ's. My outfitter in SA had a cz in 300 wm that I shot fine but I would think a suppressed 300 is very different than a 458 Lott or 416. Thanks for any tips.

Every shooter has their own optimal LOP, but how noticeable the deviations of the length become perceptible depends on the shape of the stock. If a LOP does not quite match yours, the rifle has to be shouldered to see how well and quickly you can get it into position. When it comes to a rifle for DG hunting, something like this is very important for safety reasons. In this case a shorter LOP is better than a longer one, unlike by a rifle that is primarily used for long range shooting in a lying position where a longer stock can often be an advantage. Sure, a non-optimal shorter LOP can have an effect on the recoil of a big bore rifle, but all this rifles have a more or less strong recoil which has to be accepted if you like the rifle and it lie good on your shoulder.

I don’t worry about stocks that are too long. It’s easy to cut a little off of a too- long stock. Or better yet, first remove the recoil pad and shoulder the rifle to see if it helps.

LOP matters on big bores. I like them longer as to get my eye away from the scope. You need 3 1/2" minimum and likely 4".

For you boys that have experience with different make/model/style big bores tell me what you felt. I love my Model 70 375 with 13 3/4" lop and my Weatherby in 300wm is 13 3/4 so I assume that's the best lop for me but the CZ 550's that I see are 14 1/4-1/2". Is the half inch extra going to throw me off or make the felt recoil worse? I have a 12 guage that's 14 1/2 but obviously that's a different beast than a big bore rifle and I have no way of handling much less shooting one of the bb CZ's. My outfitter in SA had a cz in 300 wm that I shot fine but I would think a suppressed 300 is very different than a 458 Lott or 416. Thanks for any tips.

Right up there with LoP are cast and cheek height.

I have a MRC 404 Jeffery, original factory stock. I shot it 4 or 5 times after I got it, it slapped the ever-loving shit out of my face. I added the Bradley kydex cheek riser and increased the LoP by an inch with a slip-on (and at the suggestion of another forum member - with double-sided gorilla tape under it so it doesn't slide around). I won't say it shoots like a kitten, but as big bores go, it's very shoot-able now.

There is an old military adage that's apropos: if it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

1708437052953.jpeg

Having a 15" LoP, I haven't had the problem in my adult life of shooting a gun with too much butt stock. I'd imagine if your LoP really is 13 3/4, you'll probably want to cut down the CZ to 12 3/4, then add a 1" Decelerator or similar.

What I have never been able to comprehend is why US made rifles come with really short stocks while rifles made everywhere else in the world have an LOP at least an inch longer . I had a Ruger Safari Magnum in 458 Lott - a really nice rifle but a bitch to shoot . Added an inch to LOP and a wider recoil pad and it turned into a pussycat . Appreciate any thoughts on this.

I have also noticed that, but it is fine for me because I need shorter LOP rather than longer ones.

By the way, it is much easier to lengthen a rifle stock by using various simple devices than to shorten it.

Agree with @sgt_zim , there’s a lot more to fitting a stock than just LOP.

Cast, drop at heel, drop at comb, grip angle, palm swell, distance to reach the trigger…and on and on.

It all starts with a consistent rifle mount and for a hunting rifle, that’s difficult because the variety of shooting positions (off sticks to fully prone) change that rifle fit significantly.

Finding something that fits you well for the majority of your shooting (ie, big bore would be standing from sticks) but also can be used comfortably in at least a couple more positions is the goal.

If you are of average height, weight and size…it shouldn’t be too hard for a professional stock fitter to sort you out.

I’ll also say that the more you shoot, the better you will know what you need and what you like when it comes to stock fit. Experience counts.

I have found that a 14 inch LOP works fantastic for me. I have long arms and stand 6'3". I had to try many different rifles and ways to get a rifle to work best for me.
That, in itself, is the best way to find out what works for you. Without having a rifle stock made especially for you

It also makes a big difference in how the firearm will be used. I’ve heard several people say that a DG rifle needs to have an “instinctive” fit for quick mounts and fast shots much akin to shotgun hunting birds.

FYI - The average shotgun LOP is longer than the average rifle for exactly this reason. Instinctive shooting. And I also hear a lot more discussion about shotgun fit than rifle fit. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case.

I’ve had to add LOP to both my rifles and shotguns to get a fit that works for me. I’ve never had a professional fit me for a stock, it’s been trial and error to see what works.

It also makes a big difference in how the firearm will be used. I’ve heard several people say that a DG rifle needs to have an “instinctive” fit for quick mounts and fast shots much akin to shotgun hunting birds.

FYI - The average shotgun LOP is longer than the average rifle for exactly this reason. Instinctive shooting. And I also hear a lot more discussion about shotgun fit than rifle fit. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case.

I’ve had to add LOP to both my rifles and shotguns to get a fit that works for me. I’ve never had a professional fit me for a stock, it’s been trial and error to see what works.
Good point about instinctive shooting style. I do a fair bit of driven pheasant shooting - I go fairly well but not so good on clays . My guns are fitted to me . On my big rifles all the ones I have commissioned have been fitted . 14.5 inch LOP , a fair bit of cast off and appropriate drop . Fits my shortish 5’10” and wide frame 270lbs . My rifle work is generally instinctive deer , pigs or buff so this works for me .

Everyone is different. I know that getting LOP right will reduce your chance of scope bite with the bigger calibers.

I need a 16-1/8” LOP. On big bores it’s extremely important. I can shoot the standard 13-3/4” LOP bolt guns up to 458WM without issue. My M70 in 375 at 13-3/4” I could shoot all day but once I switch to a double rifle fit becomes so much more import. I learned the hard way on a DR that doesn’t fit. After shooting a 15” LOP DR it was a world of difference and I can only imagine on one that’s been fit specifically for me.

I need a 16-1/8” LOP. On big bores it’s extremely important. I can shoot the standard 13-3/4” LOP bolt guns up to 458WM without issue. My M70 in 375 at 13-3/4” I could shoot all day but once I switch to a double rifle fit becomes so much more import. I learned the hard way on a DR that doesn’t fit. After shooting a 15” LOP DR it was a world of difference and I can only imagine on one that’s been fit specifically for me.
I’ve only held double rifles, never fired a shot. Coming from a shotgun background, double rifles have a heavier barrel weight but the fit seems to be very similar to a field shotgun. Not even close to what most bolt action rifles are fitted to.

Stick with what's working for you, sounds like you are trying fix something that aint broke! just be sure it works with a heavy jacket or t shirt. It mostly depends on if one tends to climb a stock btw..the human body can adapt btw but that freaks some folks out! :)

I am 6'2" and need a 15" length of pull esp on big bores. have a mate about the same height but he has a short neck compared to my long neck so a 14" LOP works for him. So the LOP for each person can be very individualistic. Also do you hunt in hot climate or cold climate. The style and thickness of clothing affects LOP.

As others have said their is way more to rifle fit than just LOP.

AXLE2010”. I’ve found that, for Me, LOP in a “scoped“ rifle is Not critical - anything within a standard range of 14” to 15 1’2” works fine. This is Not because I’m a great rifle shooter (average) but because of the deliberate way a scoped rifle is usually shot - you bring up to should, settle in, get steady, obtain full picture in the scope - squeeze BANG. Now, for a fast snap shot (quick mount-Fire) a better fit helps. Even with a perfect fit you can still get “Magnum Eyebrow” by either shooting Down a steep angle or Up — your eye gets much closer to the scope in both situations (plenty of videos & blood to show this). As mentioned earlier - a big bore Double Rifle & Open sights - stock fits is more important and I also think shotgun shooting from “Low Gun” stock fit is more important. I had a “Master Stock Fitter” evaluate my stock fit on an OU shotgun I shoot for Sporting Clays [an off the rack Browning] I hoped to improve my average. He said the fit was “Fine” and that I was “shooting where I looked” - he said if you are of average height 5’8” to 6’ and average build most off the rack shotguns will fit you. I was VERY disappointed because that meant All my “misses” were MY Fault. I also have 3 guns where the stocks are custom and fitted to Me….I shoot them the same as my off-the-rack guns (maybe I just can’t shoot?)

I am 6'2" and need a 15" length of pull esp on big bores. have a mate about the same height but he has a short neck compared to my long neck so a 14" LOP works for him. So the LOP for each person can be very individualistic. Also do you hunt in hot climate or cold climate. The style and thickness of clothing affects LOP.

As others have said their is way more to rifle fit than just LOP.
Here in south GA my hunting season can run from 82 to 22 degrees. I just wanted to see if it would make a difference going from a 13 1/2" on my M70 to a 14+" on a CZ since I can't try one before I buy. It sounds like there's no noticeable difference so when I find the right rifle I'll jump on it. Thanks for the replies guys yall are great

AXLE2010”. I’ve found that, for Me, LOP in a “scoped“ rifle is Not critical - anything within a standard range of 14” to 15 1’2” works fine. This is Not because I’m a great rifle shooter (average) but because of the deliberate way a scoped rifle is usually shot - you bring up to should, settle in, get steady, obtain full picture in the scope - squeeze BANG. Now, for a fast snap shot (quick mount-Fire) a better fit helps. Even with a perfect fit you can still get “Magnum Eyebrow” by either shooting Down a steep angle or Up — your eye gets much closer to the scope in both situations (plenty of videos & blood to show this). As mentioned earlier - a big bore Double Rifle & Open sights - stock fits is more important and I also think shotgun shooting from “Low Gun” stock fit is more important. I had a “Master Stock Fitter” evaluate my stock fit on an OU shotgun I shoot for Sporting Clays [an off the rack Browning] I hoped to improve my average. He said the fit was “Fine” and that I was “shooting where I looked” - he said if you are of average height 5’8” to 6’ and average build most off the rack shotguns will fit you. I was VERY disappointed because that meant All my “misses” were MY Fault. I also have 3 guns where the stocks are custom and fitted to Me….I shoot them the same as my off-the-rack guns (maybe I just can’t shoot?)
Lol you sound like me, I'm going to find something wrong with the gun cause that'll mean I'm not to blame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatiaOKeef

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg