Looking To Purchase A Rifle In 264 Winchester Magnum

Jgarner197

AH member
Reaction score
I probably “need” one like I need another hole in my head if you ask the wife but I have an itch I just can’t seem to scratch. I am looking to purchase something in 264 win mag. I’ve always wanted one and would love to have a side by side comparison with my 257 Weatherby Magnums. Scoured all the auction sites and nothing seemed to call out to me. If anyone has something in 264 that they may want to part with I would be interested. I tend to lien towards Winchester Model 70s but I am totally open with manufacturers for this little endeavor. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
I probably “need” one like I need another hole in my head if you ask the wife but I have an itch I just can’t seem to scratch. I am looking to purchase something in 264 win mag. I’ve always wanted one and would love to have a side by side comparison with my 257 Weatherby Magnums. Scoured all the auction sites and nothing seemed to call out to me. If anyone has something in 264 that they may want to part with I would be interested. I tend to lien towards Winchester Model 70s but I am totally open with manufacturers for this little endeavor. Thank you for your time.
I have a brand new Winchester model 70 Super Grade 264 Win Mag with hang tags still attached, new in the box. I would consider selling. I can send you some pictures tomorrow if you would like.

I would give this one a really hard look :)

1654998255687.png

And I would not even look at anything that does not have a 26" barrel. For the .264 Win this is critical, if you care to get the advertised velocity, which is the point of a .264 Win, right?

Last edited:
Mine is a Model 70 super grade with the French Walnut stock. It shoots 140 grain TSXs in half-inch groups. Love that rifle.

View attachment 470796

And I would not even look at anything that does not have a 26" barrel. For the .264 Win this is critical, if you care to get the advertised velocity, which is the point of a .264 Win, right?

View attachment 470796

And I would not even look at anything that does not have a 26" barrel. For the .264 Win this is critical, if you care to get the advertised velocity, which is the point of a .264 Win, righI have an L61R in 375 H&H that I enjoy thoroughly! My sentiments exactly about the 26” barrel and why I wasn’t too interested in this one. My understanding was the L61R in this caliber was primarily in 24” barrel lengths?
I have an L61R in 375 H&H I enjoy thoroughly! My sentiments exactly on the 26” barrel length and why I wasn’t as interested in this one. My understanding was the L61R was primarily a 24” barrel in the standard model?

with the ammo being so hard to find anymore...why not just get a 7mm mag? Great ballistics in 140/160 grn loads and bunches more! Good luck with what ever you do!

with the ammo being so hard to find anymore...why not just get a 7mm mag? Great ballistics in 140/160 grn loads and bunches more! Good luck with what ever you d
A very valid point. I have a rifle in 7mm Remington magnum and love it. I guess this is more of a want than anything as it’s “different” and I tend to have a taste for that.

you would be at 257 wby/264 wm/7mm (284) rem mag! LOL! I guess you would have a group of rifles no bigger then .027 at the max size difference. Wants are wants though! LOL! You got the smaller lightning fast catridges handled between the 257wby and the 7 rem mag so jump up to between a .30 and 338 lightning fast carts! .257/.284/.3?? and there you go! LOL! 300 norma mag, 338 norma mag, 308 norma mag is a dandy...i have two and i might put one up for sale here in the next few days or so. I like the 308 norma mag better then 300 win mag if you handload as it has a longer neck and will take heavier bullets then the win mag. Anyway, just started thinkin and typing! LOL! Good luck with it!

you would be at 257 wby/264 wm/7mm (284) rem mag! LOL! I guess you would have a group of rifles no bigger then .027 at the max size difference. Wants are wants though! LOL! You got the smaller lightning fast catridges handled between the 257wby and the 7 rem mag so jump up to between a .30 and 338 lightning fast carts! .257/.284/.3?? and there you go! LOL! 300 norma mag, 338 norma mag, 308 norma mag is a dandy...i have two and i might put one up for sale here in the next few days or so. I like the 308 norma mag better then 300 win mag if you handload as it has a longer neck and will take heavier bullets then the win mag. Anyway, just started thinkin and typing! LOL! Good luck with it!
A glaring hole in my collection has always been the .34 caliber as I do not own one. My collection goes straight to .375 from .30. I am partial to the 300 H&H for the .30 caliber realm but I suppose I do have a speed demon .30 cal in a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum that my father gifted me after taking a scope bark across the brow lol! Working up loads and tinkering in the basement was a pastime I grew up watching and stuck with me as an adult. “Playing” around on the Forester Coax could keep me occupied for days. Thank you for all the kind words and wish of luck sir! Cheers

Last edited:
I found a donor Howa and built a 264 WM with 26” Pac-Nor barrel, timney trigger and B&C stock, shoots under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Didn’t need it in the least but just wanted something a little different. Good luck in your search.

I have an L61R in 375 H&H I enjoy thoroughly! My sentiments exactly on the 26” barrel length and why I wasn’t as interested in this one....

Are my eyes deceiving me :E Rofl: ?

1655067259699.png

If you have its .375 H&H twin, and love it, then it is a no brainer. It may be worth verifying with the seller the barrel length, but I doubt very, very much that it is not 26"; all the Finnbear .264 Win I ever saw advertised always had a 26" barrel (which makes sense). A quick "Finnbear .264 Win" Google search will confirm this :)

Last edited:
Are my eyes deceiving me :E Rofl: ?

View attachment 470937

If you have its .375 H&H twin, and love it, then it is a no brainer. It may be worth verifying with the seller the barrel length, but I doubt very, very much that it is not 26"; all the Finnbear .264 Win I ever saw advertised always had a 26" barrel (which makes sense). A quick "Finnbear .264 Win" Google search will confirm this :)
Some of the earlier guns had 26” barrels and the later guns had 24” was always my understanding. Upon my scouring I encountered plenty of current and old listings with 24” barrel lengths stated. The only 26” I found were early pre Garcia examples marked “bofors steel”. Either way I sent the seller a message to confirm barrel length :)

Last edited:
Hi sir!
We happen to have a couple of Winchester Model 70s
Winchester Model 70 Super Grade Stainless new in box. 264 win mag. This is a Baco/Browning mfg.
Winchester model 70 Classic Super Grade 264
Used but very clean. New Haven mfg.
Both are 26 inch barrels

Feel free to call me at shop if you are interested

Mark

Hi sir!
We happen to have a couple of Winchester Model 70s
Winchester Model 70 Super Grade Stainless new in box. 264 win mag. This is a Baco/Browning mfg.
Winchester model 70 Classic Super Grade 264
Used but very clean. New Haven mfg.
Both are 26 inch barrels

Feel free to call me at shop if you are interested

Mark
Awesome! I will cal you shortly sir

I love Model 70s and .264 Win Mag is one of my favorites, but Winchester needs to make their barrel twist 1-8" instead of 1-9".

Thank you everyone for all the help. I have an offer pending on this Remington 700 Sendero Special SF-II in a Kuiu stock. It’s not a Model 70 but I can be a little rougher on this one without having to worry about beating up a supergrades stock. And I have a couple of triggertech triggers in a drawer that would go great in this if needed. :) My other 3 700s all shoot lights out so I should be able to make this one do the same.

889327CB-04BB-4453-9505-91DF437B7404.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gazlim

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?