Looking for more reach then my .375 ..options?

charlieB12345

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I absolutely love my model 70 in
375 h&h but i want a caliber that is equivalent in power but has longer reach out and touch them range... Opinions?

.375 Ruger beats the H&H. Are you concerned about ammo availability? Weatherby?

Any of the .416s above the Hoffman should have a bit more reach/power.

375 RUM fulfills this requirement. I set mine up as a long range moose and elk rifle.

375 H&H fulfills this requirement as well. :cool:

It sounds like you're interested in something like 378 Weatherby. Same 300 gr bullet but 400 fps faster. Presumably there are some on here who use one.

I’m currently having a .375 Wby barrel built for my R8. 150-200 fps advantage and can use .375 H&H ammo in it in case of emergency.

I do indeed hand load 300 grain aframes 73.5 IMR4350
Since you are using a semi-bonded bullet, consider stepping down one step in bullet weight and use a bonded, a mono, or a bonded/mono hybrid bullet (like a North Fork). Ramp up the MV and flatten the trajectory a touch. You may get just what you are looking for using what you already have. Just needs some R & D.

I was shooting Barnes 250 gr TTSX in my .375 H&H with a Leupold scope with a CDS dial in South Africa for everything but DG. On a drive back to the lodge, the PH stopped the Land Cruiser and pointed out a 6” metal disk on the far side of the road and stated that the disk was 320 yards away and asked if I could hit it. I dialed 320 on the CDS and hit the disk. Then he pointed out a second and told me it was at 425 yards. I dialed 425, took a deep breath, exhaled and squeezed. Hit that one also. I would recommend 250 gr TTSX with a similar scope/dial.

Gotta ask:

What ranges are you wanting?

The H&H can make long distance calls out to 400+ effective yards on the bigger PG animals.

IMO, Any shot over 300 yds, really over 100 to 150 yards, work in closer, that's Why It's Called Hunting and Not Shooting. But that's another subject and beating the perverbial dead horse, as this has been discussed and responsible for many a hijacked threads.

You could go with a 338 Lapua or 50 BMG if your wanting to play a sniper at 1000 yards+ on game animals. But that's not hunting,...IMO.

I doubt your PH will want you to shoot 300+ yards.
For moose, won’t a .300 Win Mag work just fine? Or a .338 WM!

To provide my answer your question, I’d follow @Puddle and go down in weight to a 250 gr monometal in an .375h&h And make sure to have a scope you can dial.

260 gr NAB at 2700 fps gives you quite the reach. still ~2000 fps and around 2400 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChandaTanc

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.