Looking for guidance - cold weather dogsled hunt - N. America

Datchew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
School of hard knocks
Hunted
Texas, Oregon, Washington, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Maine, Tennessee
Hi all,

I've always had this romantic notion of packing in via dogsled team and having a cold weather hunt.
Caribou, moose, elk, and similar would be of interest. I'm not overly interested in a bear hunt per se unless they were interested in eating me first.

I have decent experience in mountaineering (summited Mt. Hood on foot then splitboard down) and cold weather from my time in the pacific northwest.
I've lived out of a pack for up to 8 days at snow altitude on bow elk hunts and had plenty of snow and wet hunts in Maine.
I realize this isn't the same as traversing ice sheets or possible ice flows but I would lean on a guide without being a complete rookie.

Having a dogsled carry out the meat is much more attractive to me these days vs. hauling it on my back.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a 6-10 day hunt via dogsled with rifle or bow? Looking for fall or spring 2026.
I'm open to S. America as an option as well.
I did some searching but came up mostly with Greenland/Iceland and pack-ins via helicopter.
Located in San Antonio, Texas.

The classic hunt for that is Polar bear!

IMG_1427.jpeg
IMG_1407.jpeg
IMG_0902.jpeg

The best contact for those hunts is Shane Black at Canada North outfitting. Very pricey but the real Arctic experience and hunts.- musk ox, caribou, grizz, etc

The classic hunt for that is Polar bear!

View attachment 612871View attachment 612872View attachment 612873

The best contact for those hunts is Shane Black at Canada North outfitting. Very pricey but the real Arctic experience and hunts.- musk ox, caribou, grizz, etc
Deepest congrats for this incredible achievement - to me, Polar Bear with bowhunting equipment, in the that environment, it's a pinnacle hunt.
May you post a couple more pics of the Bear and/or the hunt?

That's a gorgeous polar bear. Thanks for sharing. I'll reach out to Shane for guidance as it looks like there are other animals he guides for.

I suspect timing is a factor against me as well. I.e., the season for hunting elk, caribou, moose and similar may not coincide with need for snow travel via sled and that's a key part of the experience i'm looking for.

I'm not opposed to hunting bears but typically go after things I can eat. Also, I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me in my sleep if I went elephant or polar bear hunting. To her this would be like killing a Labrador retriever puppy. LOL

How an earth did you take that 1st picture? Was the bear charging you? Hats off taking it with a bow
I’m on the dogsled! There was an assistant guide on a support sled that was able to take the pictures of the pursuit. Very lucky it worked out that way never know what a bear will do

That's a gorgeous polar bear. Thanks for sharing. I'll reach out to Shane for guidance as it looks like there are other animals he guides for.

I suspect timing is a factor against me as well. I.e., the season for hunting elk, caribou, moose and similar may not coincide with need for snow travel via sled and that's a key part of the experience i'm looking for.

I'm not opposed to hunting bears but typically go after things I can eat. Also, I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me in my sleep if I went elephant or polar bear hunting. To her this would be like killing a Labrador retriever puppy. LOL
The other option may be to go to Greenland on a winter hunt for musk ox. The prices will be less than the Canada costs. I have hunted there with Karsten Lings. He used to run dogs but don’t think he still does…. It’s becoming a lost art of hunting. So not entirely sure if any current outfits regularly use dogs.

Would be worth talking to him though since he is an old timer living in Kangerlussuaq and knows all the history.

Canada/Nunavut does have the law requiring non native hunters to pursue Polar bears by dog sled, thus the availability.

IMG_1888.jpeg

I went on a Sept hunt, the winter hunts are less. Tons of musk ox there, I shot two and a caribou

appreciate it. I'll reach out to them and start my research.

I always wanted to do a dog-sled caribou hunt off of the Haul Road, but never had the time, money and dog-team simultaneously.
I do still know a couple mushers, might could hook you up with somebody for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBUFreda80

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with