Looking for CZ550 spare bolt

teklanika_ray

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
life time NRA member, Life Time Alaska Trappers Association Member
I am having a 505 Gibbs built, and the smith has a barrel change option. I'm thinking it might be useful to be able to swap out to a 375 H&H, but I need a second bolt. Any idea where a new or used CZ 550 bolt can be sourced from?

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
I am having a 505 Gibbs built, and the smith has a barrel change option. I'm thinking it might be useful to be able to swap out to a 375 H&H, but I need a second bolt. Any idea where a new or used CZ 550 bolt can be sourced from?

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I'm going to ask the obvious.

Have you contacted CZ for a new bolt?
Have you asked CZ; Is the .375H&H receiver strong enough to handle 505 Gibbs pressures?

Not meaning to be derogatory or asinine. Just thinking things out.

Sort of like, Just because it seems to be a good idea at the time doesn't always mean it's the safest thing to do in the long term.

The cz 550 magnum action comes in two pressur grades. 416 action is higher in strength than the 375 action. But 505 cartridge is not a high pressur cartridge. How ever it could be loaded for higher pressure that could be a problem.
Krish

Asking CZ WILL BE A GOOD IDEA TO BE SAFER THAN SORRY.
KRISH

I would think the feed and magazine proportions would preclude a two barrel take-down in 375HH and 505 gibbs? Might be worth asking Wayne at AHR, he’d know, and he has spare actions to obtain a bolt.

Out of safety, I’d be worried about the mismatch of two bolts a little bit. If I was going down this path I think I’d stick with one bolt, and have one barrel 375HH and the other 458 Lott. Feed and bolt face would be very similar, hence why this is a popular two barrel combo.

But by all means, if you can make it work, it would be a very cool two barrel setup.

More over spare bolt will cost you dear penny. Then you have to get work done on the mag.box, feed rails, feed ramp, may be even mag springs. If nag is modified then you have to machine the bottom plate and receiver. Lot of work and money. Cheaper to buy a already built 505G than re inventing it. Even if you change the bolt then serial number with action won't match.
Krish

Last edited:
A friend lost a 550-bolt, ended up buying a complete rifle to strip for parts.

But-will an action converted to 505 feed 375hh?

505g is a large cartridge. Feed rails will not match 375..

More over spare bolt will cost you dear penny. Then you have to get work done on the mag.box, feed rails, feed ramp, may be even mag springs. If nag is modified then you have to machine the bottom plate and receiver. Lot of work and money.
Agree, due to the feed issues you are basically going to end up making 2 rifles. 2 separate rifles will most likely be less dollars and far more reliable.

Hmm, It is starting to sound like this is going to fall into the to hard/impossible to do category. I guess I'll take the advice of Rookhawk and build the 505 gibbs seperate, and then combo up a 375 H&H to a 458 Lott. An excuse for another gun, that is not a bad thing. Ultimately I had not given consideration to the level of difficulties related to making two vastly different sized rounds feed from the same action.

Thx for all of your assistance!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrendaY16

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]