Looking for advice…

@mark-hunter
My oryx bull had no complaints about the cheap 250 gn round nose out of my Whelen. He found it very difficult to breath with a big hole thru both lungs and bleeding from two holes in his hide. The one on the off side was the size of a golf ball.
Just make sure you match the old bullet to the game.
Yes I did use premium as well like Woodleigh and accubond. I had heard good things about the old Hornady round nose so decided on that as well .
Helps when your rifle has the same poi with a lot of different bullets.
Bob
But Bob, I thought you used a .243 to take that oryx

Just kidding. That's a beautiful bull my friend!

Doug

Thanks for your comment. I hear what you’re saying and agree. I’ve been planning this trip in my mind since my first subscriptions to Sports Afield and Outdoor Life started trickling in many years ago. Of course as a child without a care in the world, no responsibilities, it’s easy to say you’re going to do something. But that’s been my dream and regardless of my financial situation, it remains one of very few lifelong dreams. I’ve read the stories of EH, and Capstick, O’Conner and Boddington to name a few, not to mention a zillion hunt reports and stories from many of you here on this forum. On my first attempt in 2004 (44 years old), that was the first time in my life when I had the means to even consider a trip like this. But as I noted, life got in the way. And I’ll admit I sort of gave up on the idea as my life would be fairly hectic for the next 15+ years. The itch would resurface once again, and I thought it was going to happen last year but once again it stalled. Another thing that didn’t help before was my wife was not totally onboard with the idea of me heading off to the other side of the world for 2 weeks to hunt animals that we wouldn’t eat. I realized that if she wasn’t totally onboard with the idea of my African dream, then I would not pursue it. I would not allow anyone to detract from my dream or make me feel guilty about wanting to do it. I could see myself in Africa but feeling bad about the decision to go without my wife’s support and blessing, and I just couldn’t bear the idea of that. Thankfully, in time I was finally able to connect with her about this, and she now truly understands and supports the idea. That makes the planning this time so much better! I’m remaining optimistic and pressing forward with the quest once again. With a little luck and by the grace of God, I will be hunting with KMG Hunting Safaris in Eastern Cape next May.
@Hyde
I was fortunate when I was forced to retire. I didn't have much in superannuation and my wife asked what I would like to do. There was nothing we needed as a family so I told her I have always wanted to hunt Africa. I wanted to do it with my wife and son.
Her reply was simple and beautiful. She said we'll do your research and make it happen just don't talk about it. We ALL had a great time and it was a wonder experience hunting with with my then 14 year old son. We also did a side trip to Etosha national Park, an amazing experience.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertres

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.