Looking for advice…

Thank you Bob. Have you ever had them reassign your seat once you are at the airport? I had that happen once on a domestic flight and they said a platinum frequent flyer bumped me. Thankfully it was just a 3-4 hour flight. I find that 4 hours is about my max in other than a seat with extra room.

I’d contact outfitters and tell them what you want and ask for a specific quote. Not necessarily a package deal but a specific day rate and trophy fee list for what you plan to hunt. I don’t like the stress a package hunt puts on you and being your first trip you’re likely to add some species you didn’t originally plan on after seeing them. Warthog are great trophies. They are a little more difficult to bring home but if you have taxidermy in South Africa do a professional euro mount it’s considered a finished product and not additional trouble to bring home. I’d also tell you to look at eastern cape over Limpopo. Limpopo is very developed and more similar to fenced exotic ranches in Texas to me. Eastern cape is much less developed and larger farms. It doesn’t have commercial feel Limpopo does to me and I think you get a lot more for your money and a better experience.
@375Fox
Fortunately my PH asked what WE wanted on our list and worked hard to do it . Also prices were in Australian dollars as well which made life a lot easier. When we got there he told us if we wanted a zebra we could have the 2nd one half price. Originally my son wanted one but with that offer I was able to afford one as well.
There are good offers out there if you look hard enough.
Bob

If it were me, it would be kudu. Eiland is impressive in size but the kudu trophy more impressive. I suppose you'd have to evaluate on the spot.
I was hunting kudu with a ph. He was walking in front of me down this animal trail in proper bush. He gets distracted and looks to the right and as I look ahead past him a monster kudu jumped clear over the path, incredible stride, about 5 meters in front of us. Dead quite. There's a reason they call it the Grey ghost.
Still haven't brought a kudu home so I'm a little preoccupied with them. Felt like I missed an opportunity.

I’d second @375Fox advice on the Eastern Cape. I absolutely loved my time there, and he’s right about it feeling a little less commercial. Kudu from the EC can be a little smaller on average compared to Limpopo and a few other areas but a mature bull is still an impressive sight to hold. My experience is their colors and markings tend to be a little more striking.
@Mtn_Infantry
Namibia offers up some great kudu and some very impressive oryx/ gemsbok as well as a host of others including water buck, sable and some of the tiny ten. Top that off with cheaper than south Africa when I was planning my trip
Bob

@Hyde,

Welcome to AH

I've imported 2 warthogs and 1 baboon along with several other pieces of taxidermy and haven't had any problems getting my animals into the US.

Since I live East of the Mississippi and roughly an equal distance from Dulles and Atlanta airports and have flown out of and into both airports. I prefer traveling out of Dulles. Flying out of Dulles has been less expensive on Qatar than Qatar and Delta via Atlanta.

Package deals: I figure the number of days I want my trip to be and plan my animals accordingly.
When checking out outfitters I recommend an outfitter that doesn't charge for both your arrival and departure days, only for your hunting days.

Example:
The outfitter I hunt with in the East Cape, RSA offers 7 full hunting days, and doesn't count my arrival or departure days; roughly 7 full days, 2 half days (depending on arrival and departure flight schedules), 8 nights at the lodge. A 9 day total trip.

Some outfitters offer a 7 day trip but you only hunt 5 or 5 1/2 or 5 and 2 half days depending on your arrival and departure flight schedules.

Talk with outfitters, vet them though the forum, ask who has hunted with the particular outfitters, get members opinions and experiences, "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

Figure out your budget: ie
Flights, surcharge for taking weapon(s) or gun rental plus ammunition.
Daily Rates
Trophy Fees
Taxidermy deposit
Tips, if you choose to tip
Souvenir shopping
Snacks, meals, drinks, etc. between flights or while traveling to and from hunting areas or just out and about away from the lodge.

Then discuss with your outfitter what kind of package deal they can offer you. You might be able to add an extra day and/ or another animal.

As previously mentioned TIA expect the unexpected. You'll definitely want to discuss with your outfitter about being able to substitute /exchange animals on your package list for animals on your Animals of Opportunity list. Because you and your PH may see a lot of a species on your list, but not a trophy quality animal.

IMO the easiest Pg trophy size animals to hunt are impala, springbok, blesbok, duiker and giraffe. Warthog depends on the area. The hardest of the PG animals: bushbuck, bushpig, the tiny ten, kudu, eland, gemsbok, lechwe, sable, hartebeest, zebra, and wildebeest.

Good luck with your planning and Happy Hunting.
@Ridge Runner
When we were in Namibia zebra, gemsbok red hartebeest and wildebeest were like bugs in a bumper in quantity. Finding a trophy size one still took a lot of work and patience. Herds of 100plus black wildebeest is an impressive sight. I was fortunate my PH put me into to lone old bulls on the last day.
My son shot a 39" cull gemsbok female with a slightly bent horn for free for meat for the staff and their families and was allowed to keep the horns.
Even tho Namibia was in drought at the time the game numbers were impressive to me and it was LOW fence free range hunting. One thing u didn't know was that blue wildebeest can pass disease into cattle.
I fell in love with Namibia, the land,the game and the people
Bob

I believe once you have been there, the perception about any “must have” species list may change. The Limpopo RSA is only one among endless choices for Africa.

Which ever long haul flight route or routes you choose, that will prove your biggest physical challenge. Any regional flight that continues from JNB is no different from most any relatively short domestic flight and is a breeze after a good night’s sleep after the long haul. Cannot stress enough using a hunting oriented travel agent like the two most often mentioned here. Also, consider using outfitter’s guns For further stress relief and simplification, especially first trip. Practice shooting off sticks. Ask outfitter the kind of sticks they use, then borrow, buy or make comparable ones to practice with. No need to overpack gear. Daily laundry is common. “Winter” in Africa can be cold so a mid weight jacket is advised for mornings and comfortable footwear is a must. Slightly longer time there is better. The hard part is getting there, the easy part is being there- take advantage. :)
@fourfive8
And the hardest part is leaving because you have had such a great time in a beautiful country with fantastic people. You just don't want to go back home to everyday life..
Bob

Namibia offers up some great kudu and some very impressive oryx/ gemsbok as well as a host of others including water buck, sable and some of the tiny ten. Top that off with cheaper than south Africa when I was planning my trip
Bob
I really like hunting Namibia, but on average it will be more expensive than South Africa particularly Eastern Cape. I think the quality of the hunting justifies it though. I also think outfitters have less incentive to offer deals now than they did. Several years of drought have really hit certain species, particularly warthogs and hartebeest.

Thank you Bob. Have you ever had them reassign your seat once you are at the airport? I had that happen once on a domestic flight and they said a platinum frequent flyer bumped me. Thankfully it was just a 3-4 hour flight. I find that 4 hours is about my max in other than a seat with extra room.
@Hyde
Yes happened to me once. They had to change planes at short notice on Namibia airlines.
When they showed me the seat I just laughed and told them ain't no way I will fit in there. I explained my situation and that I had paid for the bigger seat.
They ended up moving a 5 foot lady from the exit seat that hadn't paid the extra and gave it to me. She was pissed off but the staff politely explained there was a change of planes and seat allocation had mixed up due to the difference in seating numbers. She was still pissed but saw the size of me and understood
Bob

If it were me, it would be kudu. Eiland is impressive in size but the kudu trophy more impressive. I suppose you'd have to evaluate on the spot.
I was hunting kudu with a ph. He was walking in front of me down this animal trail in proper bush. He gets distracted and looks to the right and as I look ahead past him a monster kudu jumped clear over the path, incredible stride, about 5 meters in front of us. Dead quite. There's a reason they call it the Grey ghost.
Still haven't brought a kudu home so I'm a little preoccupied with them. Felt like I missed an opportunity.
@Creigh
As impressive as kudu are I fell in love with the beauty of the oryx. I had my kudu shoulder mounted but in hind sight I should have had my oryx done as well.
Alas the budget would allow it so just my kudu and gold Roland ward impala got the nod. Still regret not doing my oryx but got the euro mounts and flat skins so still very happy.
Bob

Excellent strategy! I wish I could take everyone, my wife would love to go. The girls… not so much.
@Hyde
Take the first wife as well
I'm told they make good leopard bait, especially the bitchy ones.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob

I would appreciate comments!
Find south African hunt offer that includes kudu and eland.
Use an outfitter sponsor on this forum they are all reputable.
South African plains game packages have 99% success rate with reputable outfitter.

Flight prices vary by season, one of the tricks is to book in advance as early as possible, if you can commit as early as possible based on your private schedule, work, family, health etc.

Rental gun is appealing, but first drawback is you will not choose ammunition. You will use whatever ammo they give you.

Thus, my advise is to take your rifle, and your premium ammunition.
I deeply believe that cheap classic soft point bullets, have increased frequency of wounding on large plains game species. So, exclude this possibility. Take your rifle, and your high quality ammunition, eliminate any surprises you can.

For the rest, based that you are asking these questions, you will not do wrong

@Creigh
This is why I love oryx / gemsbok they are just beautiful to me with the face markings and long thick horns.
Bob
received_498300927681654.jpeg
received_1195312760657862.jpeg

Find south African hunt offer that includes kudu and eland.
Use an outfitter sponsor on this forum they are all reputable.
South African plains game packages have 99% success rate with reputable outfitter.

Flight prices vary by season, one of the tricks is to book in advance as early as possible, if you can commit as early as possible based on your private schedule, work, family, health etc.

Rental gun is appealing, but first drawback is you will not choose ammunition. You will use whatever ammo they give you.

Thus, my advise is to take your rifle, and your premium ammunition.
I deeply believe that cheap classic soft point bullets, have increased frequency of wounding on large plains game species. So, exclude this possibility. Take your rifle, and your high quality ammunition, eliminate any surprises you can.

For the rest, based that you are asking these questions, you will not do wrong
@mark-hunter
My oryx bull had no complaints about the cheap 250 gn round nose out of my Whelen. He found it very difficult to breath with a big hole thru both lungs and bleeding from two holes in his hide. The one on the off side was the size of a golf ball.
Just make sure you match the old bullet to the game.
Yes I did use premium as well like Woodleigh and accubond. I had heard good things about the old Hornady round nose so decided on that as well .
Helps when your rifle has the same poi with a lot of different bullets.
Bob

@Mtn_Infantry
Bob
I enjoyed my time hunting in Namibia a few years ago. I never connected on the kudu or eland via track but that’s because we got side tracked chasing a PAC Elephant.

I did however shoot a great gemsbok there, a dik-dik, an awesome warthog, and Hartman’s zebra. I’m a big proponent of hunting animals where they naturally occur. In some areas of Namibia they have really good Red Lechwe, and Hartebeest as well. If I’m not mistaken most all the sable in Namibia are introduced and game farmed but I could be incorrect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBMShirlee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.