Looking for a quality light gathering scope for .308 BLR

Your limiting factor here is going to be the rifle not the scope. From memory the BLR is also reasonably thin and a larger scope will make the whole 'package' unbalanced. ie you will need to use wrist strength to keep the rifle upright as the weight of a larger scope will make it top heavy and that will affect trigger control and then potential accuracy. A properly balanced rifle is a joy to use, is easy to point naturally at the target and oftens feels lighter than it really is.

If you are useing a 3-9x40 and the rifle balances alright, then turn it down to 6x for max light transmission. If it is still no good then you need to upgrade to better qality lenses with excellent coatings.

IMO Leupold and the Zeiss Conquest scopes are middle entry scopes when it gets to optics. Depending on your budget start looking at (light) Kahles, Zeiss Duralyt, Schmidt and Bender, German Zeiss and Swaro glass. Look through them in darkness or into dark corners, not in a fully lit showroom. Even a Tasco will look good in the middle of the day.
 
I have owned the Zeiss and Leupold and could never make out enough difference to matter. Leupold has always been the standard against which all the rest are eventually compared.

Zeiss has confused much of the market by putting their name on scopes of good but lesser quality than their best scopes. Leupold is a standard for scopes only in the same way that Cadillac is a standard for automobiles.
 
The Zeiss Conquest was put on the US market to compete with the Leupold.
They are very far from the quality of the German made Zeiss scopes and binoculars.
 
I would have a look at the Zeiss Conquest range as I have found them excellent and great value.
A friend bought one of the latest Zeiss and he can see in lower light than I can with my Leupold VX3.
I will be getting one soon.
 
I have owned the Zeiss and Leupold and could never make out enough difference to matter. Leupold has always been the standard against which all the rest are eventually compared.

In South Africa the Benchmark is Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Kahles and then only Leupold. Unfortunately what you pay is what you get. I do not owe one of the four top brands. I don't hunt in low light and the Leupold, Redfield, Lynx and Vortex scopes serves me well on the day hunting I do.
 
+1 on the Zeiss Conquest or the victory, they are very good.

I am a Zeiss pro stalker :D

I could help you find the right for you.

Regards

Alex
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,941
Members
169,655
Latest member
NehuSinhi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top