Long time guest, first time member!

Welcome to the AH community.

Welcome ... hope you enjoy your honeymoon and who knows, maybe you can sneak a day or two of hunting in. There's some great wing shooting in South Africa.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. I was the same until recently where I lurked and now I just keep a tab open all the time :D

Welcome to AH! Glad you found us and joined our community.

Welcome to AH! Nice to have you on the site.

Welcome to AH! Enjoy your honeymoon in SA! Hope to have you back in SA for your trophies soon!

Welcome aboard!

Hello Everyone!

I have been a long time lurker on the site for a few years now but have finally made my own account and would like to say hello. A common story in here, I grew up hunting in the United States (mostly upland wing-shooting) and am now thinking seriously about my first trip to Africa in the next coming years. Hunting in Africa has always been a childhood dream for me as it is probably for a lot of you, and I don’t really know why. It is sort of a calling that I know I just have to do it. I’ll be heading to SA soon for my honeymoon. It’s no hunting trip as the wife to be tolerates my hunting but does not partake herself. But I hope to return soon to target Kudu, Gemsbok, and hopefully a Zebra. If it goes well, I’d like to return for a buffalo cow management hunt (as that is really all I can afford at the moment). I’d need to pick up at least a .375 H&H for that hunt, but one step at a time. I have used this forum to research for years, mostly gunsmithing and gear, and have built this rifle recently as my future plains game rifle in .30-06. I use Winchester Expedition Trophy Long Range in 190 grain which seems to carry enough energy to take down what I am targeting with a correctly placed shot. Please see the picture attached! Its an old Winchester model 70 from the 1970s (I know, just push feed, oh well… that’s why it was cheap) gussied up with a little bit of the African expedition spirit. I pillar bed the stock, glass bed the action, free floated the barrel, fitted a silvers style orange recoil pad, added an express rear sight, chopped the end of the stock, added on the ebony forend, cut the barrel channel in that (pain in the butt with how hard the wood is) and mounted/blued the barrel band. Also using the Leupold QD scope bases because iron sights are always fun for messing around.
So anyway, it’s great to meet you all and here’s to many adventures ahead!

-ST

View attachment 594284

View attachment 594283
Check out @Limcroma Safaris - the missus and I are headed there on 17 August. She isn't a huntress either, but Limcroma has some really sweet digs - hot tub and a spa at one of their lodges that offers massages. For the missus, we're also getting a non-hunting day at a nearby preserve so she can see all the animals.

The couples package I bought includes gemsbok and zebra, though kudu would be an add-on, but I'm sure you could work out some sort of deal with Dan.

Their lodges are pretty close to the Limpopo River, so it's for certain we'll see hippos and crocodiles; bushbuck is also on my list, and I expect we'll find a nice one to shoot on or near the river, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
venator

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.