London Made 375H&H Safari Rifle by C&H

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
A bit of worthless trivia for you. I've hunted more animals with Cogswell & Harrison 375HH rifles than all other rifles combined. They've been my constant companion in Africa since my 2nd hunt.

Recently, a good friend on AH offered to sell me a double rifle that has a set of 375HH barrels with it, so I won't be needing this rifle any longer as a duplicate, and honestly I could use the cash to expedite payment in full for my double rifle.

This is the nicest London-made Cogswell & Harrison I've ever owned. Oh, and I've never shot it, I kept it in reserve. It is different and better than other Cogswell 375s I've had in several ways. First, it has a 25.5" barrel whereas they usually are 26". It has a recessed target crown, usually they are flat. It has full, traditional quarter rib with three folding sights, usually they are an island rear sight. Usually they have an aluminum bottom metal from Parker Hale, this one is steel with the release on the front of the guard.

The longest shot I've ever taken was with a C&H 375HH, 345 yards on a bushbuck in the Zambezi Valley. For whatever reason, they made incredibly accurate rifles at a time when accuracy wasn't a well-known virtue in the gun world. As to maintenance, the only thing I've ever had to do to them is to replace magazine follower springs at a price of $15 due to people adding +1 to the magazine and wearing them out leaving them overloaded.

For those unaware, Cogswell & Harrison is London's oldest gunmaker still in continuous operation. Most of the Cogswell & Harrison 375HH rifles were made between 1951-1953. About half were sold to Park's departments of Africa, the other half to safari travelers. This particular gun is a bit more gourmet than the guns of that era. It was clearly a special order from a client, I suspect it was made just after WW2 based upon the configuration.

What I love about Cogswell rifles: First, they are literally the only London rifle that was made extra-long so they fit modern American stock dimensions. Second, they are silky smooth actions you can count on in a panic. I'm not ripping on a CZ or other alternative pricepoint gun, but the C&H has London smoothness without the $30k pricepoint. Lastly, they are dimensionally British and come up fast for an instant shot. While most economical 375s are clunky and slow to point with bad stocks, the C&H guns are sveldt and easy to point.

Specs are:

Cogswell & Harrison

25.5” barrel
3 folding sights
cheekpiece
quarter rib
steel bottom metal
14.25” LOP with a 3/4” recoil pad (would be 14.5” with a 1” silvers pad)
Oversized traditional British sling eyes
Excellent bore
Approximately 9lbs

If you don't like it au naturale, all you need to do is have it drilled and tapped, drop some talley mounts on it, and put a 3-position safety on it and you have a long range 375HH with some class.

$5800 plus Fedex actual shipping in the lower 48 States to your FFL. (Or if you like to negotiate, $6800 negotiable, but I'll negotiate to $5800 plus shipping)

Feel free to ask questions, whether you buy or not, I obsess over Cogswell rifles and I'm happy to advise. Friends, you know I love the finer things and that I'm frugal as can be, the Cogswell & Harrison rifles are London-good like a Jaguar, but they are cost-affordable like a Chevy. You won't find a British safari rifle anywhere for less money with more quality. Happy hunting!

IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0736.JPG
IMG_0737.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG
IMG_0742.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I have owned exactly ONE C&H rifle. A Schonauer in 375 Express 2 1/2".
Absolutely fantastic rifle.
Unfortunately I had to sell it in an unfortunate time financially speaking..:confused:
@rookhawk you have truly great rifle made by one the only premium English gun companies left.
Good luck with the sale, someone will have a wonderful rifle.

How close is the serial number to the one I picked up from you last year? That one, still remains one of the most accurate hunting rifles I own.

How close is the serial number to the one I picked up from you last year? That one, still remains one of the most accurate hunting rifles I own.

Hello @Brod. The Cogswell & Harrison Serial number range for your 375HH and most others is in the 64000 series of guns, usually around 1951-1953. The Serial number ledger records conclude at that time. Here’s a table:

IMG_0811.webp

The gun above is outside of those serial ranges. It was sold to me as a 69,000 serial number, however the book doesn’t account for 69000. It could be that it was a 59000 serial number as well because the first digit isn’t a crisp strike that is obvious? It was either 1945ish, or post 1953. Rifles by C&H with similar features tend towards an earlier era. In any case, C&H did not make 3000 guns and rifles between 1953 and today so the serial numbering is non-sequential which has happened several times in their history. The address on the barrel 168 Piccadilly was valid beginning in 1917 until the 1950s.

The C&H rifles are such a good value. If I didn't already have a completely perfectly fit to me BRNO 602 I would be sorely tempted. Someone needs to buy this great rifle from the Gentleman sell it.

C&H Rifles are indeed beautiful things. Somehow the proportions just seem to flow like fine art. My .318 is from between the wars and built on a P-17 action, but every bit as elegant and accurate.

Hi rookhawk,

Looking closely at the pictures, it can be seen the feed ramp is not overly shortened. So, the lenghtening of the action must have been done to the rear. Good!

Lets get it moved this weekend. I'll include free FedEx ground shipping to your FFL and a shipping case at my expense. Oh, and its C&R compliant so if you have a collector FFL it can go straight to your door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallyNesbi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?