LIBERIA: Liberia 2022 Hunt Report

Fantastic adventure, thanks for sharing !

Good Report. Thanks for going before me. This one's off my list!

I went to search about Liberia.
First, it is not exactly cheap, by the offers I found on internet.

Interestingly, hunting consortium states, this is the best country for forest Duikers?!

I will qoute as follows
Liberia is inhabited by a very diverse palate of forest species, but only a fraction of these are currently huntable. Among the species available for hunting are highly prized species such as zebra duiker, water chevrotain, western bongo and dwarf buffalo. Liberia is the best location in Africa for hunting forest duikers.

Hunting conditions are tough and safaris to this country are designed for experienced Africa hands and serious collectors. Most hunting takes place at night, stalking along jungle trails, using spotlights in the thick rainforest. Camps are simple, rustic affairs, without many amenities. Temperatures are high, day and night, and the humidity is stifling.

Interestingly, hunting consortium states, this is the best country for forest Duikers?!

I will qoute as follows
Liberia is inhabited by a very diverse palate of forest species, but only a fraction of these are currently huntable. Among the species available for hunting are highly prized species such as zebra duiker, water chevrotain, western bongo and dwarf buffalo. Liberia is the best location in Africa for hunting forest duikers.

Hunting conditions are tough and safaris to this country are designed for experienced Africa hands and serious collectors. Most hunting takes place at night, stalking along jungle trails, using spotlights in the thick rainforest. Camps are simple, rustic affairs, without many amenities. Temperatures are high, day and night, and the humidity is stifling.
Well, my experience pretty much confirms everything they say . . . except that Liberia is the best place to hunt forest duikers. I would think that Cameroon would have much higher success rates, based only on my experience and discussions with others.

Thank you for report. As not perfect as it was, it sounds like a real adventure hunt few get to experience in Africa today. Hopefully they will set aside some land to be protected. It really wouldn’t take a large protected area for duikers to do well. What kind of success did previous hunters have in area?

I will qoute as follows

They may not mean best as far as quality of hunting, but in terms of species available in a country that can be hunted.

WOW! What an adventure! You have my highest respect for even trying this!

Hmmm
Many of the reports on internet by same outfitter are very old some are newer, but it seams he is in business more then 10 years.
If all the time hunting is that bad, he wouldnt survive.

Or, maybe it was new hunting area? Not yet searched and not familiarized by the guides?
Or maybe it was just bad luck.

All, in all. Rarely we have reports from Liberia, to compare. But it does not mean necessarily it is always and everywhere like that. Maybe it is only that particular area?

But, am I inclined to visit Liberia for hunt anytime in the future? Not. Maybe some areas are indeed better, but will I go there to try? No.
If we speak about rain forest and jungle hunts, so far Cameroun looks most promising, judging by writings on this forum.

Thanks so much for sharing. Not a place I had intended to go and now off the list unless things are different elsewhere. I enjoyed reading your report.
Bruce

Hmmm
Many of the reports on internet by same outfitter are very old some are newer, but it seams he is in business more then 10 years.
If all the time hunting is that bad, he wouldnt survive.

Or, maybe it was new hunting area? Not yet searched and not familiarized by the guides?
Or maybe it was just bad luck.

All, in all. Rarely we have reports from Liberia, to compare. But it does not mean necessarily it is always and everywhere like that. Maybe it is only that particular area?

But, am I inclined to visit Liberia for hunt anytime in the future? Not. Maybe some areas are indeed better, but will I go there to try? No.
If we speak about rain forest and jungle hunts, so far Cameroun looks most promising, judging by writings on this forum.
It is very likely the outfitter has other jobs and not deriving his income solely on hunting. If that is the case, he can survive indefinitely. It certainly sounded like a new hunting area since the camp was still being built, but it doesn't seem like it is a good location with the active farming and people living too close to it.

Thanks for taking up the challenge of going to Liberia to check it out for the rest of us. I think I may skip this one. Enjoyed the report.

@Hank2211 you sir are a great story teller- thank you. Bummer it didn't turn out better. Back in 1990's I was approached numerous times by a business man in Liberia about helping him set up hunting there. I was surely tempted but each time I thought I might actually do it something unpleasant occurred in Liberia which gave me pause. So I never went. I'm glad they are trying to get hunting going and that you and your friend went. Looking forward to the telling of your next adventure.

Great report, maybe I’m the type of person who enjoys the suck but your report made me want to experience a part of Africa few get to and try to grind it out.

Sometimes adventures that don't go as planned tend to make the strongest impressions and become the most memorable.

The palm civet is beautiful. Thanks for taking us on your journey.

Thanks a lot for sharing! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

1656332753296.png

Thank you for sharing your adventure. Time in some of the harder parts of the world allow you to really appreciate the simple things in life that we take for granted. (Clean water, a shower, etc).

Wow, what an adventure, thank you for sharing and for taking us along. Your hunt in the jungles of Liberia took me back to the days of hunting in the jungles of the Atlantic Coast of Nicaragua.

Really fascinating!
I went to school with a kurtz like character who resided in Sierra Leone for a short time. He was a contract photographer, covering the absolute devastation left behind from the war. While anyone I knew was unaware of what was even happening, it prompted me to do a write up during Charles Taylor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FEJ

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]