Leupold's Illuminated Fine Fire Dot 4 Reticle

DLB210

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia
What is everyone's thought on this reticle? Looking at the VX5 HD 1-5x24, not sure if I want/need the CDS. Would be installed on a Winchester M70 in .375, thanks in advance. Open to other recommendations.

Oh yeah young squire.

That is truly one hell of a balanced outfit and even some as blind as myself can easily see and sight through.

Recently was looking at thot one myself. The Vx5-HD 1-5x24 comes in 2 models. One has the open turret and the other doesn't. I wanted one for a DG rifle, so figured I didn't need the turret and it might even be a problem if it got bumped/spun. However, only the turreted model looks to come with the illuminated reticle; the non-turreted model just comes as a duplex. (I think you may be able to get custom reticles on these, but that's additional cost.). In the end , I went with the Trijicon 1-6x24 with the red 'triangle on a post' sight.

I have several Leupolds with lighted dot reticles. I really like them. I don’t have the 1-5x VX5, but a couple of VXRs, a couple of VX5s and a couple of VX6s. I really like them all.
I replace the batteries each time I go to Africa and carry a spare which I haven’t had to replace on any trip yet.
Best of luck in your decision!

Ridgewalker--I just got a VXR in 3x9 with lit duplex reticle. How does that compare to the VX5-HD 2X10 with same reticle. I like to keep my scopes simple but like the lighted reticle for some applications. Is the glass that much better in the VX5-HD to warrant the additional cost?
I presently use VX3/VX3i/VX2 scopes with a couple of old Varri-X II 3X9 scopes.

Ridgewalker--I just got a VXR in 3x9 with lit duplex reticle. How does that compare to the VX5-HD 2X10 with same reticle. I like to keep my scopes simple but like the lighted reticle for some applications. Is the glass that much better in the VX5-HD to warrant the additional cost?
I presently use VX3/VX3i/VX2 scopes with a couple of old Varri-X II 3X9 scopes.
I certainly can’t tell much difference with my old eyes. My VX6s are the older non HD as well and between them and the newer HD doesn’t warrant replacement. Maybe the last few seconds of last light on a perfectly clear low humidity evening you could use it, or extreme range (I only shoot prairie dogs at long ranges, not big game) you may see the difference.
You’ll be fine!
I really like the lighted reticles for night critters! My passion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DemiClimps

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg