Leupold Patrol 6HD 1-6x24 mini review

jwood1284

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I just picked up my first .375 H&H from the dealer in the form of an unfired New Haven built M70 Safari Express. It came with a VX-III 1.75-6x in Leupold QR rings. Nice scope, but I find it tough to look through 1” tubes after being spoiled on my 34mm competition scopes, the eye relief and erector travel is less than optimal for a big bore.

I was looking at the VX5 and VX6 lines but the old school duplex reticle models with capped turrets must have been discontinued. All I see available are the CDS versions; I’m sure they work fine, but not what I want for this rifle. This leads me to the relatively new Patrol 6HD line. The 1-6x24 is optically identical to its VX6 counterpart, but the 182398 PN is a firedot duplex reticle with capped turrets! Mine checked in at 14.5oz, which is almost 2oz lighter than advertised. It ships with tight fitting plastic flip caps in lieu of nicer Alumina caps, and also features a removable throw lever (which is nicer than the VX6’s). Fit, finish, and feel of the controls are every bit on par with a VX6, as well as the eye relief.

I’m still waiting on the Warne bases & rings, but nevertheless I’m excited to get this “no frills VX6” on the gun.

IMG_8684.jpeg

IMG_8685.jpeg

Will follow up when mounted. I hope this info helps someone that has been on the fence about this optic.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the VX6 HD for years and they are a great glass and reticle

IMG_2893.png

the old school duplex reticle models with capped turrets must have been discontinued.
I have done similar searches and purchases in the last few years, also trying to avoid the CDS protrusions. It is a fine system for dialing in a single load, but for practical hunting in thick woods the last thing one needs is another knob or button to catch on things.

Glad you found a sleek solution.

I have done similar searches and purchases in the last few years, also trying to avoid the CDS protrusions. It is a fine system for dialing in a single load, but for practical hunting in thick woods the last thing one needs is another knob or button to catch on things.

Glad you found a sleek solution.

The CDS dials sticks out no further than the capped dial. They have a push lock button so the dial doesn't move until you want to move it. It comes with a standard MOA dial. The CDS custom dial is an option that has to be ordered. The first one is free. You can get more if you want for different loads. If you don't want it, you don't have to order it. FWIW, the system does work when set up correctly. But so does knowing you dope for a load and just using the standard dial it comes with.

I mounted the patrol 6 1-6x24 on my Dakota 76 416 Remington Magnum and it'll be going with me for my cape buffalo hunt in June of 2024! So far I really like the scope and think it will be perfect for dangerous game hunting. I don't care for the CDS dials on this type of scope especially when you're going to be traveling. The only way to be able to adjust the turret to lower bullet impact is to remove the dial with a really small allen wrench, and if you forget to bring one with you good luck trying to find one in a hunting camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ascgroup0

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]