Leupold fxii 2.5 power fail

Going to agree with the others here and say there had to be some movement in the mount or rings to cause this failure.

Also, I had never heard of that particular model. I looked it up and saw it was a light weight model. Not sure that is the ideal choice for 460 wby.
The FX- 2.5 Leupold is a lightweight model, not necessarily "light" construction, but it is small, and the low mass is a benefit to the scope i.e. lower inertia than say a 3-9.
The lighter weight and inertia is a benefit on a heavy recoiling rifle, less stress on the internals.

Mr. Phil Shoemaker, Alaskan bear guide for decades, and a Vietnam combat veteran, has used the Leupold 2.5x for decades on a .458 Win Mag Mauser action.
That would be my choice for a heavy rifle, I have owned a couple. My only reason for changing is that, for my astigmatic eyes (that really suck), the FOV is a little tight for me. They eye relief is a big benefit for a heavy rifle.

Let us know when you get the rings, mounting and scope sorted out.

So I received the scope back from leupold with no issues and was actually 3 weeks faster than what was quoted for a return, I also purchased new rings from warne I opted for the fixed rings I stead of their quick detached version, I got the new scope and rings all mounted up just waiting for some time off from work so I can take it to the range and test it all out but after this post I have came to the conclusion that it was the rings is what caused the issue in the first place

So I received the scope back from leupold with no issues and was actually 3 weeks faster than what was quoted for a return, I also purchased new rings from warne I opted for the fixed rings I stead of their quick detached version, I got the new scope and rings all mounted up just waiting for some time off from work so I can take it to the range and test it all out but after this post I have came to the conclusion that it was the rings is what caused the issue in the first place
Use a thin amount of liquid electric tape between the rings and scope. The thin paper Alaskan arms provides is a novelty. I like their rings and use them on 2 Rugers. One slipped on me shooting a 375 once. Fixed since then.

I have Alaska Arms rings on several Rugers up through 416 Ruger, and a CZ 458 Lott. All mounted with much heavier scopes. I have not had any issues with their rings. I have had a couple of issues with trueness of receiver machining.

I see that scope is a 2 piece tube type. Certainly a possibility that the tube threaded connection was not a good fit, and or a bit out of alignment also. Inducing its own stress.
The was a reason for the use-to-be heavily advertised one piece scope tubes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericzwai01

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]