Let's talk Ibex hunting

Yours is a good example of what is possible with pre-scouting and local knowledge, especially with rifle. I think it would be interesting to have some drone footage of that area as the terrain is pretty amazing...all around is flat desert and then it gets nasty quickly! The scale is hard to understand in this photo...those cliffs are huge. One of the big questions in hunting this area is can you recover the goat after you shoot it? It would be devastating to lose the animal afterwards and it definitely happens every year.

Florida_Mountains.jpg

Yours is a good example of what is possible with pre-scouting and local knowledge, especially with rifle. I think it would be interesting to have some drone footage of that area as the terrain is pretty amazing...all around is flat desert and then it gets nasty quickly! The scale is hard to understand in this photo...those cliffs are huge.

View attachment 630485
It pretty incredible to see the goat simply go straight up a rock face for sure. You are looking at them thinking "how in the world is that possible"....

I've wondered the same thing and just sent a booking agent friend that question. He hunts sheep and sells sheep hunts and should have some ideas on it. I have seen Marco Polo sheep hunts around 35k lately. What are you seeing?

35 to 37 in Kyrgyzstan and 45 in Tajikistan

I think they are cheaper because of the "stan factor". But they have been in this price range for years, where NA sheep have gone up. I can't believe I am going to say this but I think they do a better job managing their sheep. They adjust permits pretty much every year and there is fewer sheep hunted in general.

Also, and just saying and anyone should be aware when hunting Argali, they have had issues getting them imported in the past, though I heard that is breaking free some. But something to keep in mind.

From all accounts I’ve heard the Marco Polo (and Mid-Asian Ibex) are very plentiful and you can expect to see 2000+ animals over a 10 day hunt.

In Tajikistan yes, in Kyrgyzstan no. Different hunting styles at different times of the year.

The sheep in Asia are doing MUCH better than say Dalls in Alaska. You will see hundreds of sheep a day in some parts of Asia. Argali (not ibex) require a CITES permit as well as other specialized paperwork. I would be sure your outfitter is well versed on the process with a good track record.

I've heard there are considerable differences in hunting Tajik vs Kyrgyz areas. A lot of the Tajik hunts are kind of a high volume operation. Also the elevation in Tajik can be quite a bit higher than Kyrgyz....4-5k higher.

Argali (not ibex) require a CITES permit as well as other specialized paperwork. I would be sure your outfitter is well versed on the process with a good track record.

The biggest hold up on this was USFW I believe. But you are correct to go with an experience outfitter.

Everything you said is spot on. The more I am hearing about NA sheep the more concerned I am.

The biggest hold up on this was USFW I believe. But you are correct to go with an experience outfitter.

Everything you said is spot on. The more I am hearing about NA sheep the more concerned I am.
My understanding from booking agents in the US is that the permits holdup has been with USFWS. The hunters I've talked with are told they will get their permits but one of the countries (can't remember which one) submitted a 500 page document that is being translated to English, which is part of the hold up on the US side.

My understanding from booking agents in the US is that the permits holdup has been with USFWS. The hunters I've talked with are told they will get their permits but one of the countries (can't remember which one) submitted a 500 page document that is being translated to English, which is part of the hold up on the US side.

That sounds like a convenient excuse. No translator, Google or ChatGPT. You gotta love the government.

and the score above gold medal baseline cost him an additional 12K USD
Red leg, would you happen to know what was the final CIC score for this roe buck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelicaMa

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]