Let's talk Ibex hunting

This Mid-Asian Ibex was taken in Uzbekistan in July 2024 in the Western Tien Shan. 51" and 12 years old. Very rugged hunt. Ibex spend their time up high that time of year, but they are there. I doubt whether he will have survived the oncoming winter. At 8,000 feet, we saw snow measurement markers that were 30 feet high. Uzbekistan has to be one of the most game-rich, under-hunted countries in Central Asia.
Mid-Asian Ibex - Uzbekistan July 2024.jpg

I've recently become enthralled in the whole idea of mountain hunting and have been researching the various game that can be hunted.
My search initially led me down the Sheep (OVIS) path but that prices on those hunts are astronomical. I've since come across the various Ibex species, which appear to be hunted in the same terrain but for much, much less.
While I am also considering European destinations, hunting a Mid-Asian Ibex has great appeal.
Who here has hunted them? Which countries/regions did you hunt in? Where would you recommend for a first Ibex hunt?
What was the overall difficulty of the hunt? Would you do it again?
It is my passion after Africa. I’ve hunted Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Mongolia, and will hunt Spain this year. There is quite a lot to say about Ibex hunting but to sum it up “there is nothing like getting your hands on Ibex horns”!

There is quite a lot to say about Ibex hunting but to sum it up “there is nothing like getting your hands on Ibex horns”!

I second this. I have taken 5 Ibex now, and it might be quickly becoming my favorite animal to hunt. And there is something about the horns!

I second this. I have taken 5 Ibex now, and it might be quickly becoming my favorite animal to hunt. And there is something about the horns!
Yes sir! After Spain this year I need to go to Greece, Turkey, and Pakistan to complete the slam. It's on the list!

Congrats on your progress thus far. I feel like in terms the overall adventure and wow factor, a Mid- Asian Ibex hunt in one of the 'Stans will be the top of the list. I am still somewhat hesitant of traveling to these countries as I have read a few horror stories on here and elsewhere.

I would likely leave the Alpine Ibex and Mid-asian Ibex hunts for the end. Id also like to add in some mouflon onto the European hunts as they seem to be the most affordable sheep to hunt.

From the videos I have been watching the terrain in NZ hunting for Tahr also looks to be unbelievable.
For me those sketchy destinations are where I use a good US booking agent like The Hunting Consortium. But I do agree we all hear a few horror stories here and there.

I hunted Ibex in Spain this past December, as well as Mouflon and Fallow deer. I would recommend all of that, but Ibex hunting in particular is not cheap (to me) but I guess you got past that part already.

I have heard from folks that have hunted Ibex in several countries that on average the mid-Asian hunts yield the "best" animals, but hey, its hard to beat Spanish culture.

I have also hunted Chamois in Italy, in the Alps. I second the comment on taking a look at Chamois. I really enjoyed that hunt and the mountain part was challenging, as is the animal itself. In general, Chamois hunts should not be as expensive as Ibex. Good luck
The Mid-Asian Ibex is likely still the best adventure worldwide for the buck.

Yes sir! After Spain this year I need to go to Greece, Turkey, and Pakistan to complete the slam. It's on the list!

Yeah I have Greece scheduled for later this year. Not 100% sure how I feel about Himalayan Ibex, but will probably go for the Sindh Ibex. I do plan to hunt a couple of different countries for the Mid Asian. I hope someday Sudan gets its shit together so I can do there and hunt the Nubian, but not sure that will ever happen.

Yeah I have Greece scheduled for later this year. Not 100% sure how I feel about Himalayan Ibex, but will probably go for the Sindh Ibex. I do plan to hunt a couple of different countries for the Mid Asian. I hope someday Sudan gets its shit together so I can do there and hunt the Nubian, but not sure that will ever happen.
I think they are hunting the Nubians in Chad. Of course I have plenty of them running around here as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arisha1On

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!