Let's talk Ibex hunting

I've recently become enthralled in the whole idea of mountain hunting and have been researching the various game that can be hunted.
My search initially led me down the Sheep (OVIS) path but that prices on those hunts are astronomical. I've since come across the various Ibex species, which appear to be hunted in the same terrain but for much, much less.
While I am also considering European destinations, hunting a Mid-Asian Ibex has great appeal.
Who here has hunted them? Which countries/regions did you hunt in? Where would you recommend for a first Ibex hunt?
What was the overall difficulty of the hunt? Would you do it again?
Have hunted mid-asian ibex. It depends on the type of hunt you are looking for. Asia is remote, the mountains are very high, and in my opinion for someone looking for an "adventure". I would rate the hunt for a mid-asian ibex hunt in the stans as difficult but rewarding.

Not finding that when I look. I've even used a VPN and set it to Canada. The only thing that I can find in Croatia is Kri-Kri. Alpine below:
View attachment 617042

View attachment 617041
Yeah those were the three hunts that I was seeing (Kri-Kri). I should have said Ibex hunts in Croatia, is there a specific "Croatian Ibex" that you are wanting to hunt?

They really aren't Croatia Ibex and really shouldn't be advertised as such. It is a Kri Kri Ibex Hybrid.

I dont think there are any true Ibex in Croatia.

Alpine Ibex will be the most expensive Ibex to hunt, the price has been going up at a rate of North American Sheep hunts, meaning I have watched it double or more in 4 years. Though expensive I would book that one now and get a price locked in. Btw it will almost always be a pay by the cm or CIC point, it is kind of one of those things were you need to set expectations with the outfitter and be prepared for 2k to 3k one way or the other. It is really a cool hunt and probably the most iconic animals in Europe. But just want to set expectations accordingly.

Yeah those were the three hunts that I was seeing (Kri-Kri). I should have said Ibex hunts in Croatia, is there a specific "Croatian Ibex" that you are wanting to hunt?
No, there is not in Croatia. I would love to hunt a Alpine Ibex, (Slovenia or Austria) but for a few thousand more, I can go to Tanzania and hunt, Lessor, Gerenuk, Thomson, Grants, & Buffalo.

Yeah that does sound pretty nerve racking. I like to go into my hunts knowing the total costs upfront, no surprises. Not really a fan of this model.

I'm looking at prices for Croatian Ibex well under 10k Canadian, so it sounds like that price could easily double given trophy size.

Also looking an combo hunts in Spain for their Ibex "Grand Slam" for around 22K Canadian. Again, I could see how this could easily double or triple the costs.

Looks like I will have to have these conversations with the outfitters before signing the fine line.

I understand you don´t want any pricing "surprises", well neither do I, but it´s quite easy.

You can set a limit to the price of your trophy with the outfitter, and he should find an animal within your price limit, if there is any mistake in trophy judgment, it´s on the outfitter.

Actually these problems happen with hunters looking for exceptional animals, which means Gold Medal pricing as a base plus CIC points, and that can hurt...a lot.

IMG-20210602-WA0037.jpg

My Ibex from Beceite, I told my outfitter I would pay for a Bronze. Depending how you use the tape, this will be a high Bronze, or a Silver, but I paid what was agreed.

I understand you don´t want any pricing "surprises", well neither do I, but it´s quite easy.

You can set a limit to the price of your trophy with the outfitter, and he should find an animal within your price limit, if there is any mistake in trophy judgment, it´s on the outfitter.

Actually these problems happen with hunters looking for exceptional animals, which means Gold Medal pricing as a base plus CIC points, and that can hurt...a lot.

View attachment 617073

My Ibex from Beceite, I told my outfitter I would pay for a Bronze. Depending how you use the tape, this will be a high Bronze, or a Silver, but I paid what was agreed.
If thats a bronze I'm impressed.

Nice trophy.

Those are FACTS. We will never see prices go down.
Yup, and in todays world very few employers raises are keeping up with cost of living increases, let alone inflation on non-essentials and luxury expenditures like hunting.

I've been pursuing the Capra World Slam for a few years now. Same reason you describe, I like hunting the mountains but the sheep prices have become overwhelming.

Thus far I have hunted the Spanish Ibex in, well, Spain. I've also hunted the Pyrenean, Cantabrian, Balkan, Alpine and NZ Alpine chamois in Spain, France, Macedonia, Slovenia and NZ, as well as the Tahr in NZ. I've shot various feral goats in NA, SA, Europe and NZ as well. I have a Carpathian Chamois hunt booked in Romania (booked with AH member HuntRomania) in November.

I will move onto the various Asian Ibex in Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and/or Turkey next.

I would say that my various Capra hunts have been excellent. I have grown to really enjoy the hunting traditions in Europe. Eastern Europe obviously has an incredibly unique, long and interesting history/heritage. I find it really interesting to add some tourist activities into my European trips, and I now have 2 children in University in Europe, so there is that draw as well (for me). The European hunts are easy to get too, and you can always get by in English. Spain is great, though the VAT taxes are an issue to keep in mind, and the food is great (if you like dried meats, cheese and olive oil). Spain is far more mountainous than most folks, especially Americans, realize. Its good mountain hunting. New Zealand is such an awesome destination, the hunting is challenging but excellent, its serious mountains but helicopters are always fun, and I love that I can get in some excellent fly-fishing on the same trip.

As I said, Asia will be next.
Looking forward to your hunt report from HUNTROMANIA. I've got a hunt booked with Marius in 2025, so anything I can learn from your hunt would be much appreciated. Best of luck to you.

Looking forward to your hunt report from HUNTROMANIA. I've got a hunt booked with Marius in 2025, so anything I can learn from your hunt would be much appreciated. Best of luck to you.

Skydiver386. I hunted with Marius for Roe deer outside of Cluj Napoca area in 2022. My hunt report is on this site. I wouldnt worry about anything. He is a man of his word. Beautiful countryside. I hope to go back for Fallow and Red Stag one day.

This is more related to Europe but I keep hearing about this trophy grading system, i.e. Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Can someone explain this to me? These trophy costs are in addition to the posted hunt prices I'm seeing online? Is there a universal grading system across the EU or would this be country-by-country basis?

It sounds like when it comes to Ibex, Mouflon, Chamois etc., the larger the horns, the bigger the bill.

Everything is regulated by the CIC , le Conseil International de la Chasse.

For example:

Last edited:
This is more related to Europe but I keep hearing about this trophy grading system, i.e. Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Can someone explain this to me? These trophy costs are in addition to the posted hunt prices I'm seeing online? Is there a universal grading system across the EU or would this be country-by-country basis?

It sounds like when it comes to Ibex, Mouflon, Chamois etc., the larger the horns, the bigger the bill.
CIC is the system used in Europe. Check out some info here - https://www.cicukteb.com/european-species/alpine-ibex

Attachments

• Alpine Ibex.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Sound advice from @Throwback. Normally usually most of the time, a client books a hunt for a baseline medal category. When the animal is taken, it is measured and there is typically an additional charge for every cm above the baseline cost. Depending on species, this can indeed be quite an upper.

Interestingly, due to their popularity, one of the most dramatic can be roe deer. I have an acquaintance who booked a gold medal class buck in Hungary, and shot a real monster. A few weeks later, he received his final bill, and the score above gold medal baseline cost him an additional 12K USD. :oops:

I would strongly urge you to use a well experienced hunting consultant for the first couple of European hunts. The best I have dealt with for Europe in the Hunting Consortium. Bob Kern and family have been doing this for many years and can help you avoid any unexpected pitfalls.

It is very common in Europe to tell your guide your expectations and what you want to shoot. They are very good at judging in the field - if you only want to pay for a Bronze and you see a bigger one, they will tell you and give you the option. You can say no and keep looking. If it turns out to be bigger than what you agreed - outfitter swallows the cost. Anyone who isnt offering this, I would avoid. $12USD for a roe buck? I am afraid to say your friend was very much taken advantage off and I would be avoiding that outfitter.

*from Bryan Martin/Asian Mtn. Outfitters' article in Western Hunter
1719840886858.png

Yeah that does sound pretty nerve racking. I like to go into my hunts knowing the total costs upfront, no surprises. Not really a fan of this model.

I'm looking at prices for Croatian Ibex well under 10k Canadian, so it sounds like that price could easily double given trophy size.

Also looking an combo hunts in Spain for their Ibex "Grand Slam" for around 22K Canadian. Again, I could see how this could easily double or triple the costs.

Looks like I will have to have these conversations with the outfitters before signing the fine line.
Just tell your outfitter your budget and they will be either find you a trophy in that range or agree a package. They will take you to different areas which product animals in the range you are looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulmusoni

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.