Let's talk Ibex hunting

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I've recently become enthralled in the whole idea of mountain hunting and have been researching the various game that can be hunted.
My search initially led me down the Sheep (OVIS) path but that prices on those hunts are astronomical. I've since come across the various Ibex species, which appear to be hunted in the same terrain but for much, much less.
While I am also considering European destinations, hunting a Mid-Asian Ibex has great appeal.
Who here has hunted them? Which countries/regions did you hunt in? Where would you recommend for a first Ibex hunt?
What was the overall difficulty of the hunt? Would you do it again?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunted the mid Asian in Kyrgyzstan. It's been a while. Was a good hunt but the language difficulties are real. My son and I both got our Ibex. Translator wasn't with me when I got my ibex. Big winter herd. I was "told" to shoot ibex #3 from the right. So I shot the 3rd one in. Turns out they wanted me to shoot the 3rd billy in.....
Elevation was around 10,000 ft. At that time your couldn't get a steak on the hunt or in the towns. All done in stews. Lots of pick pockets in the towns. Lost my camera along with most of my pics of the trip during a market visit. Once my son and I killed our animals we were hustled out of the mountains and back to a hotel where we paid the bill until our outbound flight.
Be sure and get the extra help at the airport if you go. Extra $100-150. Well worth it. My hunt wasn't excessively difficult as I had a horse. My son hiked up the mountain so his was harder. Overall we had a good time. Was at the beginning of my international hunts.
Bruce

I have looked at those hunts. An Alpine Ibex is sky high. The Spanish Ibex are reasonable as are the Mid-Asian. The Mid-Asian IMO have the best curls.

Only Spanish (three ibex - two subspecies), and had fabulous experiences. The terrain is nothing like Central Asia, but you will still know that you have been hunting mountains. The best thing about Spain, is that it is the perfect destination to take a spouse on a combination hunting and tourist vacation. Mrs. Red Leg and I have done it four times there over the last decade, enjoying a different corner of the Iberian Peninsula each time.

A second, affordable European mountain game animal is the chamois. They can be hunted from the Perenez through the Alps and Central Europe. They are a wonderful animal to hunt in some of the most spectacular terrain in the world.

You should also look into an Aoudad hunt in West Texas (Free range - not behind a fence!). It will be as demanding as a desert bighorn and far, far less expensive.

Gredos Ibex
Ibex Hunting Spain

Spain Hunt Ibex

Beceite Ibex (Non-typical with flaring horns)
Beceite Ibex Hunt Spain

Austrian Chamois
Austrian Chamois Hunt

Free range West Texas Aoudad
Davis Mountains Aoudad

Last edited:
I've been pursuing the Capra World Slam for a few years now. Same reason you describe, I like hunting the mountains but the sheep prices have become overwhelming.

Thus far I have hunted the Spanish Ibex in, well, Spain. I've also hunted the Pyrenean, Cantabrian, Balkan, Alpine and NZ Alpine chamois in Spain, France, Macedonia, Slovenia and NZ, as well as the Tahr in NZ. I've shot various feral goats in NA, SA, Europe and NZ as well. I have a Carpathian Chamois hunt booked in Romania (booked with AH member HuntRomania) in November.

I will move onto the various Asian Ibex in Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and/or Turkey next.

I would say that my various Capra hunts have been excellent. I have grown to really enjoy the hunting traditions in Europe. Eastern Europe obviously has an incredibly unique, long and interesting history/heritage. I find it really interesting to add some tourist activities into my European trips, and I now have 2 children in University in Europe, so there is that draw as well (for me). The European hunts are easy to get too, and you can always get by in English. Spain is great, though the VAT taxes are an issue to keep in mind, and the food is great (if you like dried meats, cheese and olive oil). Spain is far more mountainous than most folks, especially Americans, realize. Its good mountain hunting. New Zealand is such an awesome destination, the hunting is challenging but excellent, its serious mountains but helicopters are always fun, and I love that I can get in some excellent fly-fishing on the same trip.

As I said, Asia will be next.

I've been pursuing the Capra World Slam for a few years now. Same reason you describe, I like hunting the mountains but the sheep prices have become overwhelming.

Thus far I have hunted the Spanish Ibex in, well, Spain. I've also hunted the Pyrenean, Cantabrian, Balkan, Alpine and NZ Alpine chamois in Spain, France, Macedonia, Slovenia and NZ, as well as the Tahr in NZ. I've shot various feral goats in NA, SA, Europe and NZ as well. I have a Carpathian Chamois hunt booked in Romania (booked with AH member HuntRomania) in November.

I will move onto the various Asian Ibex in Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and/or Turkey next.

I would say that my various Capra hunts have been excellent. I have grown to really enjoy the hunting traditions in Europe. Eastern Europe obviously has an incredibly unique, long and interesting history/heritage. I find it really interesting to add some tourist activities into my European trips, and I now have 2 children in University in Europe, so there is that draw as well (for me). The European hunts are easy to get too, and you can always get by in English. Spain is great, though the VAT taxes are an issue to keep in mind, and the food is great (if you like dried meats, cheese and olive oil). Spain is far more mountainous than most folks, especially Americans, realize. Its good mountain hunting. New Zealand is such an awesome destination, the hunting is challenging but excellent, its serious mountains but helicopters are always fun, and I love that I can get in some excellent fly-fishing on the same trip.

As I said, Asia will be next.
Congrats on your progress thus far. I feel like in terms the overall adventure and wow factor, a Mid- Asian Ibex hunt in one of the 'Stans will be the top of the list. I am still somewhat hesitant of traveling to these countries as I have read a few horror stories on here and elsewhere.

I would likely leave the Alpine Ibex and Mid-asian Ibex hunts for the end. Id also like to add in some mouflon onto the European hunts as they seem to be the most affordable sheep to hunt.

From the videos I have been watching the terrain in NZ hunting for Tahr also looks to be unbelievable.

I hunted Ibex in Spain this past December, as well as Mouflon and Fallow deer. I would recommend all of that, but Ibex hunting in particular is not cheap (to me) but I guess you got past that part already.

I have heard from folks that have hunted Ibex in several countries that on average the mid-Asian hunts yield the "best" animals, but hey, its hard to beat Spanish culture.

I have also hunted Chamois in Italy, in the Alps. I second the comment on taking a look at Chamois. I really enjoyed that hunt and the mountain part was challenging, as is the animal itself. In general, Chamois hunts should not be as expensive as Ibex. Good luck

Congrats on your progress thus far. I feel like in terms the overall adventure and wow factor, a Mid- Asian Ibex hunt in one of the 'Stans will be the top of the list. I am still somewhat hesitant of traveling to these countries as I have read a few horror stories on here and elsewhere.

I would likely leave the Alpine Ibex and Mid-asian Ibex hunts for the end. Id also like to add in some mouflon onto the European hunts as they seem to be the most affordable sheep to hunt.

From the videos I have been watching the terrain in NZ hunting for Tahr also looks to be unbelievable.
Just remember if you think something is expensive now, just wait a few years. Hunt price inflation is a very real thing.

Did you take your trophies home with you?
Yes my son and I brought them home with us. Much cheaper than shipping later. Not sure that is an option now.......
Bruce

This is more related to Europe but I keep hearing about this trophy grading system, i.e. Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Can someone explain this to me? These trophy costs are in addition to the posted hunt prices I'm seeing online? Is there a universal grading system across the EU or would this be country-by-country basis?

It sounds like when it comes to Ibex, Mouflon, Chamois etc., the larger the horns, the bigger the bill.

Someone on here will be able to explain it better than I can but yes its a size / weight grading system, which they can tie to pricing.

Importantly, many outfitters offer, or at least you can ask for, a fixed price for a "representative" of the species. That way you have your price locked in. You need to understand the details from the outfitter but I think in many cases that means an animal that is bronze or less. Sometimes maybe better than bronze, but you can work out a fixed price.

I have done this as I get nervous too knowing you can suddenly add 10-15K to your bill (or whatever amount) by dropping a certain animal. This can get particularly nerve racking depending on the animal, as many of these animals can be hard to judge for an American used to judging whitetails and has not hunted Europe before, or much (like me). These animals may have what appear to us as small differences (if any) but they can cost you a lot. Chamois is a good example, Roe deer even better. Ibex should be relatively easier but I personally would still inquire about a fixed price unless you have the money to simply not worry about it.

This is more related to Europe but I keep hearing about this trophy grading system, i.e. Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Can someone explain this to me? These trophy costs are in addition to the posted hunt prices I'm seeing online? Is there a universal grading system across the EU or would this be country-by-country basis?

It sounds like when it comes to Ibex, Mouflon, Chamois etc., the larger the horns, the bigger the bill.
Sound advice from @Throwback. Normally usually most of the time, a client books a hunt for a baseline medal category. When the animal is taken, it is measured and there is typically an additional charge for every cm above the baseline cost. Depending on species, this can indeed be quite an upper.

Interestingly, due to their popularity, one of the most dramatic can be roe deer. I have an acquaintance who booked a gold medal class buck in Hungary, and shot a real monster. A few weeks later, he received his final bill, and the score above gold medal baseline cost him an additional 12K USD. :oops:

I would strongly urge you to use a well experienced hunting consultant for the first couple of European hunts. The best I have dealt with for Europe in the Hunting Consortium. Bob Kern and family have been doing this for many years and can help you avoid any unexpected pitfalls.

Someone on here will be able to explain it better than I can but yes its a size / weight grading system, which they can tie to pricing.

Importantly, many outfitters offer, or at least you can ask for, a fixed price for a "representative" of the species. That way you have your price locked in. You need to understand the details from the outfitter but I think in many cases that means an animal that is bronze or less. Sometimes maybe better than bronze, but you can work out a fixed price.

I have done this as I get nervous too knowing you can suddenly add 10-15K to your bill (or whatever amount) by dropping a certain animal. This can get particularly nerve racking depending on the animal, as many of these animals can be hard to judge for an American used to judging whitetails and has not hunted Europe before, or much (like me). These animals may have what appear to us as small differences (if any) but they can cost you a lot. Chamois is a good example, Roe deer even better. Ibex should be relatively easier but I personally would still inquire about a fixed price unless you have the money to simply not worry about it.
Yeah that does sound pretty nerve racking. I like to go into my hunts knowing the total costs upfront, no surprises. Not really a fan of this model.

I'm looking at prices for Croatian Ibex well under 10k Canadian, so it sounds like that price could easily double given trophy size.

Also looking an combo hunts in Spain for their Ibex "Grand Slam" for around 22K Canadian. Again, I could see how this could easily double or triple the costs.

Looks like I will have to have these conversations with the outfitters before signing the fine line.

Sound advice from @Throwback. Normally usually most of the time, a client books a hunt for a baseline medal category. When the animal is taken, it is measured and there is typically an additional charge for every cm above the baseline cost. Depending on species, this can indeed be quite an upper.

Interestingly, due to their popularity, one of the most dramatic can be roe deer. I have an acquaintance who booked a gold medal class buck in Hungary, and shot a real monster. A few weeks later, he received his final bill, and the score above gold medal baseline cost him an additional 12K USD. :oops:

I would strongly urge you to use a well experienced hunting consultant for the first couple of European hunts. The best I have dealt with for Europe in the Hunting Consortium. Bob Kern and family have been doing this for many years and can help you avoid any unexpected pitfalls.

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like I have some further research to do. Also, I'm not seeing these trophy surcharges on the Asian hunts so I can see how that is a major advantage on their end.

Lots to consider.

Yeah that does sound pretty nerve racking. I like to go into my hunts knowing the total costs upfront, no surprises. Not really a fan of this model.

I'm looking at prices for Croatian Ibex well under 10k Canadian, so it sounds like that price could easily double given trophy size.

Also looking an combo hunts in Spain for their Ibex "Grand Slam" for around 22K Canadian. Again, I could see how this could easily double or triple the costs.

Looks like I will have to have these conversations with the outfitters before signing the fine line.
Where did you find a Croatian Ibex for under 10k CAD? I am headed to Croatia & Slovenia shortly, and at that price I would be happy to add that to my list. Slovenia is 30-50K USD and at least a 3 year wait to get a tag. Austria is not cheap either and Switzerland closed Ibex hunting.

Where did you find a Croatian Ibex for under 10k CAD? I am headed to Croatia & Slovenia shortly, and at that price I would be happy to add that to my list. Slovenia is 30-50K USD and at least a 3 year wait to get a tag. Austria is not cheap either and Switzerland closed Ibex hunting.
I've been using bookyourhunt.com, can filter game by country.

There are currently 3 Croatian Ibex hunts listed at $5,200, $7,900 and $9,800 CDN respectively.

I also see a Slovenia Ibex + Chamois hunt for $24,000 CDN.

Not finding that when I look. I've even used a VPN and set it to Canada. The only thing that I can find in Croatia is Kri-Kri. Alpine below:
Screen Shot 2024-06-30 at 10.40.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-30 at 10.36.06 AM.png

Slovenia is among my favorite destinations, my wife and I love it. And the fly fishing is awesome. There is some good roe deer hunting, and some Alpine chamois hunting (I shot one in Slovenia), that are reasonably priced, but the Alpine Ibex hunt is as you say, very expensive. They are also the most prized game animal in Slovenia. Enjoy yourself!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CelesteKoh

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!