Let's hear about your first dangerous game hunt, from start to finish

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
As a prospective Dangerous Game hunter, I'd love to hear about your first dangerous game hunt.

Everything from the early planning stages to the execution of the hunt, to the kill shot and the taxidermy and trophy export.

So a few questions:

1. What' made you want to initially hunt dangerous game?

2. Had you hunted Africa previously? Plains game hunt? Or did you dive headfirst Into a DG hunt?

3. How did you decide on the DG species you wanted to hunt first?

4. How did you decide on both the country and PH/outfitter for your first DG hunt?

5. Did you already have a rifle appropriate for this hunt or did you buy a new rifle/cartridge specifically for this trip?

6. Details on the hunt itself, how did it go? Were you successful? Did you get the trophy you set out to kill?

7. Were you fortunate enough to try some of the game meat before departing?

8. What kind of trophy/mount did you export? What was the overall process like?

9. From start to finish, what was the cost of this hunt?

10. What are you planning for your next DG hunt?

Last edited:
Here my answers:

I cannot really explain, something about willing to test myself in a most challenging hunt.

2. Had you hunted Africa previously? Plains game hunt? Or did you dive headfirst Into a DG hunt?
I only had one previous PG hunt experience before in SA.

I saw the buffalo breeding operations in SA, so that put me a bit off. Hunting over a bait is also not my cup of tea, and my wife forbid's cats. Rhino is a bit rich for me still. But elephant, the true king of the animal kingdom, now that got my blood pumping!

4. How did you decide on both the country and PH/outfitter for your first DG hunt?
Through AH, I spoke with @rookhawk, who recommended this outfitter/PH for me.

5. Did you already have a rifle appropriate for this hunt or did you buy a new rifle/cartridge specifically for this trip?
I did not have a big bore at the time of booking the hunt, so I bought a bolt action 416 Rigby.

6. Details on the hunt itself, how did it go? Were you successful? Did you get the trophy you set out to kill?
It went better than my wildest dreams, I was succesful and got as old a bull as possible.

That was a prerequisite for me. While on safari I am temporarily allergic to porc, mutton, chicken, beef and lamb. Only game meats for me.

It took 1.5years, I'm likely one of the last Belgian's to have done so legally. I brought tusks, skins and then something very special (I was told 1st of a kind in taxidermy) that I'll share at a later point.

9. What are you planning for your next DG hunt?
Ele Ele Ele Ele (and some PG in between just to keep myself and the camp fed). Eland might be a good alternative too.

This out to answer most of your question on my motivation.

I remember like it was yesterday. It was the summer of 91 when I was on my first Dangerous Game hunt of my life. I was unsuccessful until late December. Thats when she was in clear focus, I married in May of 92. The fear and adrenaline run thru me. I've been addicted ever sense.

What made me want to initially hunt DG?
Reading Outdoor Life as a kid, at around 15, I got the fever.
Had I hunted Africa before?
No. When I divorced my first wife, I set a few goals, one of which was to hunt buffalo by the time I was 55. I came close… Booked at 55, hunted at 56. At the time, I thought this would be my only hunt, so I booked a 14 day hunt, so I didn’t run out of time.
How did I decide what DG to hunt first?
Buffalo is the only one that I’ve had a real desire to hunt. Maybe hippo on land. Ele looks thrilling, but not really my cup of tea. The big cats, don’t interest me at all.
How did I decide on country and outfitter?
I wanted to hunt a wild area. I contacted Jack Atcheson and he gave me an outfitter in Moz, Zim and Namibia. When I contacted references, the first guy I talked to about Moz told me about how his outfitter took him into an illegal area and he and his son spent three days in jail.
The Namibia outfitter was highly regarded by everyone I spoke with. The only thing that turned me off is that the Caprivi buffalo were more expensive.
The Zim outfitter in the BVC had great referencesl so I booked with him. About three months later, I receive an email that this guy quit hunting the BVC. However, they did have a freelance PH available to take his place: Ade Langley. I couldn’t find much info on him, but Keith Atcheson told me that he would be good and I really wanted to hunt the BVC, so I agreed.
Did I already have a DG rifle?
Yes. I had a .375 HH Sako and a .458 Lott #1. I initially wanted to take the #1 but after talking with several other outfitter in th couple of years prior to my booking advised against the #1. Then Ruger brought out the Alaskan in .416 Ruger. It sounded like just the ticket, so by the time I booked, I had three suitable rifles. I took the .416 and the .375. I took the buffalo and seven other head with the .416 and three with the .375.
Details of the hunt and was I successful?
Everything went as well or better than expected, however, I did get off to a rocky start. I hit an eland and tracked it all day until we lost it. The next, morning I missed an impala. After that everything was one shot kills. I took my buffalo on the morning of day four.
My buffalo was 38” with great boss. More than happy.
Did I eat game meat?
Yes. Supposedly the chef was the best in the conservency. I don’t think so. As it was in September and near the end of the season a second chef showed up. He didn’t help matters. However, one night we did have Shepard’s pie made with impala. It was awesome! It was so good, I had leftovers the next two days for breakfast. I then had him made another one.
Kudu was really good. I had heard eland was excellen, but it was like chewing on leather.
Did I export the trophies and what was the process like?
I had used a local guy for deer and he had been on safari. His mounts looked great. The importation process went as the taxidermist described. I had my mounts in a little over a year after the hunt. He did a decent job, but I’d only give him a C+. However, he pissed me off in that my buffalo backskin was missing. It turns out he didn’t send it to the tanner with the rest. When I went back and confronted him about it, he miraculously found the salted hide in his upstairs office. He lost all my future business.
What am I planning for my next DG hunt?
I did go on a PG hunt in ‘18 in Namibia. (A different local taxidermist was great) My next DG hunt will be in Zim. Next hunt, I’m looking for another buffalo, a nyala and a bushpig along with whatever Africa offers. Whether this comes to fruition is based on my wife’s health. I know my rifles will be the #1 in .458 Lott and a 9.2x62.

My first dangerous game hunt was actually booked as a standard plains game hunt in Zambia mid-season 2006. The outfitter (my PH) said he had some Buffalo in the middle of the concession we could try for at no added cost other than trophy fee. We tried two days and got on buffalo each time, but no shot opportunity. I borrowed his 458. That was primarily a cat area and the buffalo herd on it was too small to justify booking dedicated buffalo hunts there. It was a fun first experience at Buffalo but I realize now it required a dedicated effort with spike camp, but was a great add on opportunity. Later in the hunt my Dad’s PH talked me into crocodile hunting and there was an extra available on quota. We stalked the river bank and found a nice representative croc just over 12 foot. The shot was not picture perfect but I got two more into his shoulder and we luckily found him on the bottom of the river. The hunt ended on the last day with a Toyota full of villagers pulling into camp at breakfast. My PH gave me a choice one last try at buffalo or a non-exportable hippo on the community tag. I took the hippo option. We went to a section of river known to have hippo and found a large group. However walking in we saw a number of cow elephant. Getting ready for the shot was the same time all the elephant decided to cross the river. Three hours later 162 mothers and calves crossed the river. I took my shot, my hippo immediately sank, but the elephant went crazy on opposite bank and we actually had a hippo run on our bank. Once things settled, we sent the boat out and retrieved our hippo. I used my 300 H&H on both hippo and croc. We also saw several lions during that hunt. I’ve since taken several buffalo and another hippo in different countries. My next DG hunt will be bull elephant. However, there is nothing about DG hunting that really draws me back more than anything else. I primarily want to see new wild areas and get a new hunting experience than I had before. Those areas that interest me typically contain dangerous game but I’m just as happy hunting a kudu there as I am a buffalo.

My first dangerous game hunt was actually booked as a standard plains game hunt in Zambia mid-season 2006. The outfitter (my PH) said he had some Buffalo in the middle of the concession we could try for at no added cost other than trophy fee. We tried two days and got on buffalo each time, but no shot opportunity. I borrowed his 458. That was primarily a cat area and the buffalo herd on it was too small to justify booking dedicated buffalo hunts there. It was a fun first experience at Buffalo but I realize now it required a dedicated effort with spike camp, but was a great add on opportunity. Later in the hunt my Dad’s PH talked me into crocodile hunting and there was an extra available on quota. We stalked the river bank and found a nice representative croc just over 12 foot. The shot was not picture perfect but I got two more into his shoulder and we luckily found him on the bottom of the river. The hunt ended on the last day with a Toyota full of villagers pulling into camp at breakfast. My PH gave me a choice one last try at buffalo or a non-exportable hippo on the community tag. I took the hippo option. We went to a section of river known to have hippo and found a large group. However walking in we saw a number of cow elephant. Getting ready for the shot was the same time all the elephant decided to cross the river. Three hours later 162 mothers and calves crossed the river. I took my shot, my hippo immediately sank, but the elephant went crazy on opposite bank and we actually had a hippo run on our bank. Once things settled, we sent the boat out and retrieved our hippo. I used my 300 H&H on both hippo and croc. We also saw several lions during that hunt. I’ve since taken several buffalo and another hippo in different countries. My next DG hunt will be bull elephant. However, there is nothing about DG hunting that really draws me back more than anything else. I primarily want to see new wild areas and get a new hunting experience than I had before. Those areas that interest me typically contain dangerous game but I’m just as happy hunting a kudu there as I am a buffalo.
Interesting, I guess the 375 minimum didn't apply where you were hunting Hippo?

High bidder at the DSC convention auction in 2011.

No

I had thought I wanted to hunt leopard but realized I hate sitting still in a deer blind so I could not imagine sitting in a blind and being attentive for a leopard. I could't afford elephant and wanted to be on my feet moving to hunt. Thus buffalo.

Researched, researched. Met outfitters at the DSC convention. Then, when the auction occurred the price at that time was about 40% of typical. A bottle of wine, and winning bidder.

No. Bought a CZ550 375 H&H about 4 weeks later. It was at a gun shop near my brother who checked it out for me and although used, looked unfired. 3 boxes of soft and solid Federal.

Successful. Some miscommunication occurred and what I thought was a comment to go ahead and shoot, was more a comment about the situation. The buffalo was probably only six years old and a bit soft in the front middle of the boss.

We ate game meat every day. Usually from previous hunters' animals as they told me they prefer that the meat hang for a bit before serving.

Skull and salted hides. I had the hid tanned and made some belts, nothing else.

Too long ago (2011) to make sense today and prefer not to share.

My second was in 2016 again for buffalo and was successful. Hope to go again in the next year to two. Both hunts and my next one were in remote, wild Africa requiring extra flights and drives to get to a remote camp and the first was 3-400,000 acres. The second over 700,000 acres.

Interesting, I guess the 375 minimum didn't apply where you were hunting Hippo?
A legal minimum is really up to the PH in most cases. The game scout is there to record your daily hunt and what you took or wounded, not verifying your cartridge. However, if there was ever an incident the PH would likely have some serious explaining to do if client was hunting with a less than legal cartridge. A hippo headshot in water is equally effective with a 300 or a 375. Something to consider as well, a 9.3 is 0.366 not 375 even though it frequently gets used in place of a 375.

What made me initially want to book a dangerous game hunt? Probably a sense of adventure. We live in a pretty digital, binary, at times mundane world. A dangerous game hunt in a truly wild area is certainly an “analog” experience. I had recently left both the Army and a combat zone and was missing that edge of an analog experience.

My first dangerous game hunt is likely an oddity, even amongst the very experienced crew here at AH.

Two friends and I booked a hunt in Mozambique with a PH we had hunted with before. This was about 25 years ago. I was pursuing a lion, one friend buffalo, and another sable. Perhaps it could work out - we had three weeks. The floods in the Zambezi were particularly bad that year so we had to reset. Ahead of departure, the hunt was changed to the Matetsi. As it turns out, it was a private game ranch bordering the Matetsi. The sable there was amazing. The buffalo was absent, and the lion chancy at best. After one friend took a sable we abandoned that hunt and chartered to the Caprivi. We were way over gross and barely limped the Cessna 210 from Vic Falls to Katima Mulillo. There was a still a broken down Russian tank and a bunker of sandbags at the end of the runway.

Our PH had recently secured an elephant concession, Salambala. The Caprivi in those days was rather desparate. There was elephant and little else. We found a handful of bone piles of previously poached elephants, and saw virtually no game. After many days following tracks and not finding a suitable bull, we returned to camp one afternoon, on the Chobe river.

In the Chobe river flood plain, and on the Namibian side of the river channel was an old bull. When their molars wear down they often spend more time near the “softer” grass and reeds of the river. We decided to take a run at this bull. I had a 416, and the PH borrowed my friend’s 458. He had traveled to Zim without a rifle, as he was licensed in Namibia. We borrowed a watu, a wooden dug out canoe from the villagers. We poled our way out most of the way. The water was about 2-3 feet deep for the most part, and infested with mosquitos. The PH was later diagnosed with a “a touch of malaria” when we returned to Windhoek. As we got closer, we pulled our way through the reeds, holding a rifle in one hand and pulling reeds with the others. We could see the elephant raise its trunk over top the reeds sniffing for us as we stood up in the watu. We played this dance for a little while, seeing the elephant‘s trunk from a distance above the reeds and pulling ourselves through them, standing up in the watu, creeping closer to the river channel and border with Botswana. The PH said “be ready” and whistled. All hell broke loose. The elephant came for us, luckily quartering in. I got the first shot and the third. The PH had the second. Spent brass flying into the river. It was an instant and the bull went head first into the flood plain with a wave rocking the watu we were standing in.

It was late. We cut the tail and headed back to shore. I recall the PH, now deceased, saying “we call this moment the present, because it‘s a gift”. He said I should write an article about this adventure for Magnum “MAN” magazine, and I did.

The next morning was chaos. The flood plain was stained with the blood of the elephant after the locals, arriving from every cardinal direction, hacked it to pieces. I still don’t know how we didn’t attract every croc in the Chobe. Amongst the locals was Prince George Mutwa, prince of the Basubians. He had something to say to the PH that amounted to “next time take one on dry land’. He shared with me that when he was a child, that flood plain was teeming with lechwe; a far cry from my experience. The head of the elephant was severed and we pulled it to shore with a powered boat. Everywhere along the shore there was palm leaves covered with elephant meat, so the meat wouldn’t get in the sand. I had no idea where all the people came from.

Did I eat some of the meat? Yes. It was grainy. The locals had more of a taste for it than me.

I look in awe at the pictures coming from hunts in the “Zambezi Region” today. What I experienced was a desperate land, with really only transient elephants. I like to think that managed hunting was an important contributor to restoring the wildlife to the Caprivi.

So, yeah, dangerous game - its a departure from your predictable, digital life.
DFA9D8E2-8939-453D-A1E6-CA2208A8CC11.jpeg

I am planning my first buff hunt soon, here is what I know.

Good question.
I cannot really answer. Bear at my place is also considered dangerous game - but I dont have plan to hunt it. Bear is hunted on bait, a hunter is in the blind. Not my style of hunting.
But african DG (some) are hunted by tracking. In the same time I dont have plan to hunt cats.
So this narrows my choice.

Done PG hunt, 3 times. AFter 1st PG safari I started enviosining DG hunt and buffalo, but I also had some other priorities in PG department to collect before going for buff. And, I though, it wouldnt be proper hunt, unless I get a DG rifle. So, i needed some time to get ready for buff.

As per point one above, minus cats. Deduct from the rest the cost and budget, and you will get to buffalo. Buffalo is also iconic species the represents Africa. "And he looks at you like you own him a money."

By personals experience with same PH.

I dont exactly need a DG rifle to hunt rabbits in Europe. So, I bought DG rifle to hunt DG animals of Africa.

Going there shortly.

Yes of all plains game I got, DG meat to be tested when I get DG.

Plan is scull mount, for buffalo

Painful

Optionally croc, to get one of the aquatics
Or maybe tuksless elephant, Price and budget dictates final choice

Reading Outdoor Life as a kid, at around 15, I got the fever.
No. When I divorced my first wife, I set a few goals, one of which was to hunt buffalo by the time I was 55. I came close… Booked at 55, hunted at 56. At the time, I thought this would be my only hunt, so I booked a 14 day hunt, so I didn’t run out of time.
Buffalo is the only one that I’ve had a real desire to hunt. Maybe hippo on land. Ele looks thrilling, but not really my cup of tea. The big cats, don’t interest me at all.
I wanted to hunt a wild area. I contacted Jack Atcheson and he gave me an outfitter in Moz, Zim and Namibia. When I contacted references, the first guy I talked to about Moz told me about how his outfitter took him into an illegal area and he and his son spent three days in jail.
The Namibia outfitter was highly regarded by everyone I spoke with. The only thing that turned me off is that the Caprivi buffalo were more expensive.
The Zim outfitter in the BVC had great referencesl so I booked with him. About three months later, I receive an email that this guy quit hunting the BVC. However, they did have a freelance PH available to take his place: Ade Langley. I couldn’t find much info on him, but Keith Atcheson told me that he would be good and I really wanted to hunt the BVC, so I agreed.
Yes. I had a .375 HH Sako and a .458 Lott #1. I initially wanted to take the #1 but after talking with several other outfitter in th couple of years prior to my booking advised against the #1. Then Ruger brought out the Alaskan in .416 Ruger. It sounded like just the ticket, so by the time I booked, I had three suitable rifles. I took the .416 and the .375. I took the buffalo and seven other head with the .416 and three with the .375.
Everything went as well or better than expected, however, I did get off to a rocky start. I hit an eland and tracked it all day until we lost it. The next, morning I missed an impala. After that everything was one shot kills. I took my buffalo on the morning of day four.
My buffalo was 38” with great boss. More than happy.
Did I eat game meat?
Yes. Supposedly the chef was the best in the conservency. I don’t think so. As it was in September and near the end of the season a second chef showed up. He didn’t help matters. However, one night we did have Shepard’s pie made with impala. It was awesome! It was so good, I had leftovers the next two days for breakfast. I then had him made another one.
Kudu was really good. I had heard eland was excellen, but it was like chewing on leather.
I had used a local guy for deer and he had been on safari. His mounts looked great. The importation process went as the taxidermist described. I had my mounts in a little over a year after the hunt. He did a decent job, but I’d only give him a C+. However, he pissed me off in that my buffalo backskin was missing. It turns out he didn’t send it to the tanner with the rest. When I went back and confronted him about it, he miraculously found the salted hide in his upstairs office. He lost all my future business.
I did go on a PG hunt in ‘18 in Namibia. (A different local taxidermist was great) My next DG hunt will be in Zim. Next hunt, I’m looking for another buffalo, a nyala and a bushpig along with whatever Africa offers. Whether this comes to fruition is based on my wife’s health. I know my rifles will be the #1 in .458 Lott and a 9.2x62.
So pleased to hear you will be using the No1, for DG it is either a double or a No1, just for the nostalgia value.

I read an article in the Man magazine many years ago about a fellow's first Buffalo hunt, how nervous he was, but how it just had to be. That was me too.

Yes I had hunted a little, but really just dived straight into DG.

It just had to be buff, I am not into the cats or ele, although a last year ele will come later.

Living in Zimbabwe that was the natural choice. We drove down to the Save in Carruthers, one of the very forest trips, what a great experience!

No, selecting the rifle was part of the adventure. I settled upon a Ruger No1 in 375H&H which I bought from a first owner in the Cape and imported it into Zimbabwe. It wasn't that difficult. I decided upon a Leica Magnus 1-6.3 x 25. Great choice on the quality front, but a Swarovski EE scope would have been better, I didn't know at the time.

It had to be a non-trophy, sub 36", so we searched many herds in the Save and on the second last day we found him. Couldn't get closer than about 130 meters, I made a poor shot, too far back. We followed up next day, and a bataleur eagle seemed to mark the buff along the way.

Oh yes! Bertie asked what I wanted and I said the tongue, the tripe and the balls. She said "it shall be so", and it was delicious.

I got a shoulder mount done by Bromley Game Skins and it was so good Tess had no complaints about it hanging in the safari lounge.

With the mount about US$8k
IMG_3442.jpeg

1. What made you want to initially hunt dangerous game?
Watching Stewart Granger drop a charging bull elephant with a Holland & Holland 8 gauge hammer double rifle in the 1950 version of "King Solomon's Mines" as a child. Later, as a teenager... I saw Stewart Granger's "The Last Safari" and John Wayne's "Hatari". Also reading "The Man Eaters Of Tsavo".

Straight dived for a mixed bag hunt

I wanted elephant & lion, but Kenya was no longer issuing licenses for elephant hunting at the time. So I opted for Cape buffalo & lion

I saw an ad on an issue of Outdoor life about a Mr. Cheffings offering safaris in the Rift Valley of Kenya.

5. Did you already have a rifle appropriate for this hunt or did you buy a new rifle/cartridge
At the time (1974), the only firearm which I personally owned was my old wartime service pistol (a Webley & Scott Model 1921 in .32 ACP). So all of the firearms used on the safari belonged to my white hunter- A .375 Holland & Holland Magnum BRNO ZKK602, a .30-06 Springfield BRNO ZKK600 and a 12 gauge 3" Magnum BSA Wildfowler boxlock ejector side by side. Over the years, I accumulated a serviceable battery for all my sporting purposes.

Currently, I own:
A) 12 gauge 3" Magnum Beretta Model 626E
B) .22 LR BRNO Model 2
C) 7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe
D) .32 ACP Webley & Scott Model 1921
E) .375 Holland & Holland Magnum Remington Model 700 Kevlar Stock Custom (on my son-in-law's license)

I succeeded with the Cape buffalo, but failed with the lion (Mr. Cheffings had to spoor him and finish him off).

Yes, I always strive to dine on the wild game meats harvested from my hunts. As a matter of fact, you could say that it's more important to me than a trophy. I still have fond memories of that juicy eland steak grilled over the charcoals.

Cape buffalo head mount. I still have it. Photo can be seen on my media page. Otherwise, I can take another photo of it when I return home today.

My commanding officer Brigadier General Mahmudul Hassan paid for this hunt, but rates were far more reasonable compared to today.

I'd love to hunt a rhinoceros someday, since it's the only member of the African Big Five which I've never even once been able to successfully hunt (till now). If I can't manage that by 2025, then I will go for another wild lion in Zambia or Tanzania.

Last edited:
A group of us drew a lot to hunt a National Park and as they wanted the buffalo herd on there culled (at a trophy fee) due to corridor disease, so I decided to try.
Yes, I'm from SA.
Buffalo has always facinated me from the stories I read as a kid, through the articles in Man Magazine.
Luck! We got drawn.
Yes. I had a .375 HH Winchester Mod 70.
The area was extremely mountainous and we climbed mountains and scanned river valleys for 4 days. I found buffalo each day, but only cows and calves. My friend, hunting separately from us, took a good buff on day 2 after waiting 8 hours for the bull to get up out of the shade. The next day we found a herd in a valley and had to hike around to the opposite side to get above them. I got a shot with about 2 hours daylight left. The shot was a frontal one, but was good. We followed up relatively fast as we were afraid of losing light. A second shot through the hart finnished him. Then the work started.... we had to skin and chop him up and carry the meat out of the valley. We finished that job the next morning.
Did I eat game meat?
Yes. I hunt for meat. The nyala from there taste a little better than buff, but I did take quite a bit of buff meat. The rest went to the anti poaching unit.
Not applicable
I'm previleged to go back there this August, but this time I will be the back up for my the friend who backed me up of that hunt.

Good questions. I had similar ones and subsequently processed and answered them here ;)

As a prospective Dangerous Game hunter, I'd love to hear about your first dangerous game hunt.

Everything from the early planning stages to the execution of the hunt, to the kill shot and the taxidermy and trophy export.

So a few questions:

On May 25th I returned from my 8th trip to Blaauwkrantz. All previous trips I hunted plains game. This was my first DG safari. I have no desire to hunt elephant, hippo, lion, leopand, croc or rhino. It was always an old dagga boy I sought.
We spotted several bulls but none met the criteria of an old bull that had been kicked out of the herd by the young bulls. Size of horns or boss was of no importance. One late afternoon we saw the perfect buffalo. He never got close enough and it was getting too dark.
For the next 5 days we tried to locate the bull. Finally at 5:45 PM he was was walking towards us. My PH Philip was whispering , “wait, wait, wait.” He was now 90 yards away but behind a bush. More, “wait, wait, wait” and “let him turn”. Then, “Alan, when you are ready.” Fortunately, it was a perfect shot through the heart. He ran about 40 yards and dropped. One more insurance shot.
My rifle is a Blaser R8 chambered in 375 H&H. Barnes bullets performed as expected.
I plan on returning for trip #9 next May. No more DG for me, though.

Might as well ask why I wanna hunt anything. Just a compulsion to chase. And I discovered capstick at 13 years old and the desire has been there since then.

I had been on 2 previous plains game safaris to South Africa.

Elephant have been my bucket list for a LONG time. They are special. Part of it is the hunt and what I knew it would be like. Part of it was wanting to possess an elephant. The largest land species.

I got lucky and was the winner of the SCI foundation $100,000 sweepstakes. I contacted Corey Knowlton and Greg Brownlee. The goal, the biggest and best experience for an importable trophy bull elephant. They were both pretty adamant, Mike Murray and Clive Eaton in Botswana. African Field Sports and Tholo safaris.

I did not. The dream was to use a double rifle. Which was out of my means. First trip I used a California Rigby in 577. Never shot it in anger. Went back a couple months later and used a PHs Merkel on 500 NE. Shot my bull with this rifle.

I went in April of 2023 for leopard and elephant combo. Things happened. Weather and late rains scattered game. I hunted 13 days and never got to shoot. I got to experience a lot though. I sat blinds for leopard multiple times. Spent the night in a blind at one point. Elephant was amazing. We ran from cows. We were bluff charged by a young bull in musth. We walked 12 miles on a track one day to find 14 bulls without a trophy with them and then had to walk 6 miles to the car. Walked 100+ miles in 13 days tracking elephants. Sorted bulls out of cow herds. Adrenaline. Amazing. It just never came together.

Went back in July and hunted 12 days. Killed my elephant on day two then got my leopard over dogs on day 6. Then went to Tholo ranch and hunted plains game. That place is aptly named. Never seen so many kudu

Oh yes. I don’t think we ate game at the elephant fly camp. But we definitely ate game at Tholo ranch.

Still working on this. CITES is approved for leopard. Elephant going to take a while I think. But conservation force is confident we’ll get the bull in eventually

The leopard/elephant combo was $100,000. Two trips plane tickets was about $8,000. Two trips tips was close to $11,000 (wish I could have done more). Stopovers in Johannesburg was another $500ish. I don’t know what the import is gonna cost yet

I can’t afford to go back. I just dream. I want another elephant. I want to feel that fear and adrenaline again. It was the most amazing feeling. Fear/dread/elation/joy all wrapped up in this weird combo that left me wanting more and more. The bulls weren’t bad. Anytime we were close to cows on foot it was there. And these cows were calm.

Fly camp the cow herds walked 15 yards from my tent every night to water. I’d lay in bed and listen to them walk by.

The only thing is next time I want to be in a lion area. I wanna hear lions roar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainbet0346

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.