Less than 30 days till Zim to go after Mr. Spots!!!!!!!

Yeah do these camps have wifi? I need daily reports! It should be an exciting month!

Not so sure about that, but I will do my best on updates when possible!

Thank Philip! Best of luck to you also. To prepare I am watching as many hunting shows with leopard the primary quarry as possible, I am exercising when I can, will be shooting the next few weekends, and will probably get to the doc for some malaria pills soon also.
Patience Under Pressure is one of the best leopard hunting DVD's I've seen. Fun to watch before the hunt.
Philip

Leopard hunter update: it appears most of us are headed to southern Zim, Matabeland South. They predicted major flooding last week with up to 3.5" of rain in a single day. This was upsetting news.

I have received word that the rains were mild and Sunday's rain produced a mere 1/4".

We need dry weather to reduce pools, consolidate game and make bait gathering easier! Let's hope for dry weather here on out or we'll be hunting South American Jungle instead of South African Savannah!

Thanks, Rookhawk. I'll actually be in the southern part of Masvingo. I have been watching the weather. There have been some rains, but I don't think anything terribly heavy. Good luck again to all the other leopard hunters. I picked up my script for Malarone yesterday and have been checking all of my lists, twice and thrice!

Patience Under Pressure is one of the best leopard hunting DVD's I've seen. Fun to watch before the hunt.
Philip

I'll try to find that one in the next few weeks, thanks!

@rookhawk ,

Lets all hope for mostly dry weather in the next 3-4 weeks!

Good luck to all of you chasing leopard this year! Have to admit, little jealous!

Shoot straight guys, can't wait to read the hunt reports.

Guys, I hate to post this as you'll just shoot the messenger. It looks like this could be the last year for Zim leopard.

My PH is texting me now telling me he was at a leopard meeting. Says this will likely be it. I need to bring mounds of trail cams and extra memory cards to give to a researcher that will provide photos to USFWS. I don't fully understand what is going on and I don't have the data, but the rumor mill suggests this is the last go for Zim spots.

More to come if I learn additional info.

Rookhawk, do you get the sense this is something Zim is doing or USFWS? I just read John Jackson's report on the data Conservation Force, SCI and DSC submitted in response to the proposed uplisting. If USFWS makes a determination to list leopard as endangered, it won't be based on science and facts. I know I shouldn't be surprised if they do, but damn it, my federal income tax is funding these tack heads.

I'm not sure, but I'm in Africa in a week and I'll get precise facts then and will Share next month when back home.

Hoping a Zim PH will read this and share details more than I've reported.

If true, it will have zero to do with the Zimbabwe side and all to do with the USFWS.

None the less, Zimbabwe does need to keep up its end on the science to back its CITES quota.

@BRICKBURN i don't have enough data, but I suspect it is your second clause: insufficient data collecting by Zim. My Ph is asking me to bring piles of SD cards to give to a researcher for review of the leopard images. This is then supposedly going to USFWS? Sounds like Zim lacks the science to manage a future take if I had to guess.

I imagine that, cash strapped Zimbabwe, isn't putting any dollars into research? Independents may be doing what they can on the ground?

Philip

Just watched it two weeks ago. Definitely a good video and gives you a good feel of Mr. Spots.

As far as the SD cards and cameras this is not exactly good news and makes me nervous as I was planning on Zim in a few years.

I am there in 3 1/2 weeks, so I will see what I can learn as well, and report back. Should be an interesting trip in many ways!

Wow, I leave in the morning for trip #2 for ingwe and am getting nervous, but hey its got to be better than working right? I will report back on this thread upon return

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AddieWhitt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa