AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor / OFF / 2A / IBSA / TCGC / SCI
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, South Africa
Greetings fellow hunters,
I'm headed to South Africa on my first Plains Game hunt this June with Blue Cliff Safaris. I'm looking at Range Finding Bino's. Leica has a model, Geovid R product number 40812, the retails for $1399. Anyone using them or viewed through them??

Your guidance and suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.43.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.43.23 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.43.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.43.26 AM.png
    543.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.43.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 8.43.28 AM.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 49
I'm headed to South Africa on my first Plains Game hunt this June with Blue Cliff Safaris. I'm looking at Range Finding Bino's. Leica has a model, Geovid R product number 40812, the retails for $1399. Anyone using them or viewed through them??

Leica makes a great product, and I have used their Geovid 3200 10x42's for a while. I am confident that the R model would do everything you need. However, I do not bring them to Africa (they get extensive use in the Western hemisphere and Europe.) I have never needed range finding in Africa, and the lighter weight Ultravids have served me well there.

Thanks Red Leg! I appreciate your guidance. I am also packing my lightweight Zeiss Victory for a small lightweight alternative. I do most of my hunting out west where the Range Finder is useful. I had a previous Rangefinding Bino, Nikon LaserForce 10x42. They were awful in every way, and I ebayed them!

I’ve been using the 10x42 R for about 3 years. I really like them. Solid low light performance and good range finding. Not excessively bulky for 10x42 either. No issue in chest harness when I draw my bow.

Used the Zeiss 8x30 and 10x40 armored for many years in western US Alaska Canada and Africa. Went to Lecia Trinovid a good number of years ago for Africa and stayed with them.

Used the Leica 3200.com when we went. We did take a few a little past 300 yards. They worked well, I dial all my shots just because that's how I train. So they worked well for me.

I’ve been using the old 10x42 Geovids for a good 6 years now. Bought them from a German client that hunted here. Even though they are heavy, I’ve become incredibly attached to them. It’s really a piece of equipment I struggle to live without, and they stay in the Land Cruiser every day.

That being said, the last year I’ve hunted a fair bit with a small 10x25 Leica Ultravid that fits in my shirt pocket. As a client that is probably all you need, as your PH will have a rangefinder or RF binoculars. If the Leica will serve you well at home though, bring it over and come and enjoy it here in RSA.

I use the older model
They have been stuck on my chest for about 5 years
They are great, reliable and hardy

I’m very happy with mine not sure if it’s the same model. Mine was around $3k I shivered when I bought them but have not regretted it one day.
They have held up perfectly and I work with them 200 plus days a year in dust, Sun what should be considered “hard” conditions.
Hope it helps.
My best,
Jaco

I’m very happy with mine not sure if it’s the same model. Mine was around $3k I shivered when I bought them but have not regretted it one day.
They have held up perfectly and I work with them 200 plus days a year in dust, Sun what should be considered “hard” conditions.
Hope it helps.
My best,
Jaco
Thanks jaco!

@Hififile324 - I had an older set like those that took to Africa. They ended up staying with my PH as part of his tip. I replaced them with a set of Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 so a bit of an upgrade. I'm sold on Leica optics for hunting. Purchased the Leica Rangemaster 3500.com recently and love them for turkey hunting.

One thing I'll mention is that the ones you are looking at do not have angle compensation, so if you were shooting at an angle (up or down)...you would have to make a quick calculation to get your actual range. Not sure what it would cost to upgrade to one that does this for you. Maybe another $1K if you stayed with Leica.

EDIT - Buy once cry once. "Whew, sure glad I didn't get the ones with the angle compensation. Saved me a ton of money."...said no hunter EVER.

Last edited:
I have the blocky older ones with button on the left side and they have the angle comp on them. I believe Leica calls it “equivalent horizontal distance” or something similar. I think these may also? Disclaimer- I’m not a tech savvy guy

@Hififile324 - I had an older set like those that took to Africa. They ended up staying with my PH as part of his tip. I replaced them with a set of Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 so a bit of an upgrade. I'm sold on Leica optics for hunting. Purchased the Leica Rangemaster 3500.com recently and love them for turkey hunting.

One thing I'll mention is that the ones you are looking at do not have angle compensation, so if you were shooting at an angle (up or down)...you would have to make a quick calculation to get your actual range. Not sure what it would cost to upgrade to one that does this for you. Maybe another $1K if you stayed with Leica.

EDIT - Buy once cry once. "Whew, sure glad I didn't get the ones with the angle compensation. Saved me a ton of money."...said no hunter EVER.
Thanks BeeMa

Got it!! Geovid HD-B 3000 these are the one’s I have.
Awesome Bino’s
Best
Jaco

Thank you for all of the guidance! I placed my order for the Leica Geovid R 10x42, from EuroOptic. I'll let you know how they are once I get them and I have worked with them!
This is a great community!

JME, but I compared my Geovid R to my EL Swaros (both 10x42) along with a bud. We both thought the glass was better than the Swaros.

Thank you all for your guidance and advice. My Leica Geovid - R 10x42's arrived today. They are excellent. Optical quality is better than I expected. The Laser rangefinder is super fast and very easy to use. Thanks to all who provided advice! This is a great place.

• It appears they do have angle compenstion

• The Leica Geovid R binoculars concentrate on essentials – a high-performance optical system, reliable distance measurement and ballistic angle compensation. What’s more, the Geovid R models offer comfortable viewing for longer periods of observation, classical, ergonomic design for optimum grip and fatigue-free viewing, as well as uncompromising quality in construction and finish.

All models feature a comfortably wide field of view and are ideal for scanning broad terrain. Leica Geovid R 56 binoculars are a dependable companion in unfavourable light, the low contrast of dawn and dusk and at particularly long distances. All Leica Geovid R binoculars stand for outstanding optical performance in all viewing situations. Their high contrast and edge-to-edge image sharpness ensure identification of even the smallest details. The brightness of the LED display adjusts automatically to ambient lighting conditions and shows the measured distance values with optimum brightness and clarity in all conditions.

The Leica Geovid R displays linear distances for a measuring range of up to 1100 metres (1200 yards). All models also feature the EHR ballistics function that allows the user to display the equivalent horizontal range for angle shots for distances from 10 yds to 1.200 yds / 10 m to 1,100 m. o previous knowledge of ballistics is required when using the EHR function. The display appears at the single press of a button. Pre-setting or pre-programming is not required.

Yep, they sure do! It is called the EHR function. with the push of the right button, you can turn the EHR on or off.

Now that I have used them for about a week, I can state they are excellent in every way. I have compared the optical quality to my Zeiss Victory 8x25 (pocket size), my Tract Toric 10x42, a set of Leupold Santiam BX-5 10x42. The Leica Geovid image quality was better than all of them and edged out the Leupold BX-5 at the edges.

These are a genuine bargain when you look at the $3000 + price tags on other brands.

Thought the current model R’s had angle comp. They call it equivalent horizontal distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt