Left Hand A-Bolt .375 H&H

Never Been

AH senior member
Reaction score
1992 manufacture with desireable 26" barrel. Browning's website claims 7lbs 3oz but my scale says 7lbs 8.9oz-- either way it's a light and handy rifle! I was considering sending it to Extreme Rifle Works for a chop and custom kevlar/carbon stock to make it really handy but I'll soon have another .375 and I've finally convinced myself I don't need 2. $1300 shipped to the lower 48 in a new hard side case.

20240524_152706.jpg
20240524_152715.jpg
20240524_152722.jpg
20240524_152726.jpg
20240524_152756.jpg
20240524_152747.jpg
20240524_152751.jpg

20240524_152806.jpg
20240524_152822.jpg

I have the same in left hand--fantastic rifle with seem incredible memories!! Hope it finds a good home!

i have one in .280 rem and like it, it shoots 1-1.25" with just about every load i have tried.

Not familiar with your name on this site as your are quite new. Please pm me a pic of yourself holding the rifle. I am interested in buying it for my very left handed brother.
Please include payment options you would accept. Would ship to my ffl at zip code 84660-thx!

Great gun! I have the same model since 1992. Still going strong. GLWS!

I purchased this rifle with intention of giving it to my brother. The experience was seamless and NeverBeen was very good to work with. Would be happy to purchase from him again or just sit and visit. Great that this site brings people together the way it does.

Glad you bought it Firebird! Now I don’t have to think about buying another one. Very nice gun!

I have not owned a browning rifle before. This one will stay tucked away until Christmas and then my brother will have to find a scope for it to his liking. I have ammo and components for it tho, so am eager to see what kind of accuracy we can produce. I loved the longer barrel on it, have never understood short barrels. So am hoping he can use it for elk etc here and enjoy it in Africa at some point as well.

I have not owned a browning rifle before. This one will stay tucked away until Christmas and then my brother will have to find a scope for it to his liking. I have ammo and components for it tho, so am eager to see what kind of accuracy we can produce. I loved the longer barrel on it, have never understood short barrels. So am hoping he can use it for elk etc here and enjoy it in Africa at some point as well.
@Firebird - interested in “why” a 26” barrel for only a .375 H&H and thought the standard for that cartraige was 24” — with 24” perfect to obtain maximum velocity and better accuracy with shorter “stiffer” barrel vs 26”. I also thought (and Not sure about this) that only certain magnums perform “faster” with the 26” barrel (375 H&H Not one of them) but that the trade off was slightly less accuracy due to longer barrel not as stiff? I know my personal preference is to have only as long a barrel as “needed” and 22” to 24” is all I would want to carry unless there was a significant ballistic or accuracy advantage to carry longer.

IMG_9807.jpeg

I did some googling before I expressed interest.
My own experience is that longer barrels CAN produce higher velocity but I have not had chance to tinker with a long barrel in .375 anything. My own .375 wby mag has a shorter barrel and I am certain it “slows me down.” This doesn’t bother me for Buffalo for example where high speeds are actually a hindrance. But for longer shooting at elk or per se nilgai, I would like to have the most a casing can offer from a given rifle-or at least the chance to get the “most.”
Just because the load book says a cartridge can shoot xxxx fps doesn’t mean your load can accomplish that or certainly do it accurately. I am excited to try this rifle and see what it is capable of, both velocity and accuracy.
Not an argument, just a conversation. As
A wise old fire chief used to say “let’s go outside and find out.”

You should not have too much trouble getting 3/4 " groups if you play with loads a bit.

View attachment 610140
My own experience is that longer barrels CAN produce higher velocity but I have not had chance to tinker with a long barrel in .375 anything. My own .375 wby mag has a shorter barrel and I am certain it “slows me down.” This doesn’t bother me for Buffalo for example where high speeds are actually a hindrance. But for longer shooting at elk or per se nilgai, I would like to have the most a casing can offer from a given rifle-or at least the chance to get the “most.”
Just because the load book says a cartridge can shoot xxxx fps doesn’t mean your load can accomplish that or certainly do it accurately. I am excited to try this rifle and see what it is capable of, both velocity and accuracy.
@Firebird - thanks for the info and it is interesting. I’m not any type of expert on balistics and treat most rifles from only a “practical” standpoint, so unless something is “significantly different” I don’t bother paying attention. If a 26” barrel delivered 10% more velocity and similar accuracy - I would agree that’s “significant” and might tote around that “Pole Vault” length barrel To benefit from it. I feel the same way about plastic or composite stocks “too ugly” for my taste but agree they minimize slightly POI in certain weather conditions. As four stainless steel action & barrels - I’m more accepting and although I prefer a deeply blued barrel —-I can live with stainless…as long as it’s in a nice wood stock (and I can also accept “Laminated wood”). I certainly have my own stupid ideas and don’t wish them on others !!

Those personal touches will be up to my brother. It is easy to cerakote the stainless parts to black if he wants and lots of “stock options” available. If it was me I would send it to Accurate Innovations for a good custom walnut stock and would cerakote it. But it is set up for Alaska really well as it sits, so maybe he will keep it that way. I guess it depends on where his hunting preference takes him and how much he wants to invest.
Scoping the rifle will be another story. I have two detachable scopes on mine. His eyes aren’t as good as mine so will have to see what he chooses. He might never get to Africa for DG but he will hunt elk with it at some point, so. . . very different scope choices. The adage to spend more on a scope than you did for the rifle has served me well-but my income has spouse imposed limits!

I’ve owned a Browning A bolt in this configuration and caliber for the last 6 years. It’s accompanied me to Africa on a few trips.
I wasn’t too gone on the stainless steel finish as it does shine. I had it Duracoated in a Matt coyote tan. No shine now .
It’s an accurate rifle. It was a bit of a step up in recoil from my 275. I’m not fond of shooting it off the bench. In fact since zeroing the scope, a Zeiss 1,2-5 x36 Duralyt I just practice off the sticks.
I like the short throw on the bolt,

I’ve owned a Browning A bolt in this configuration and caliber for the last 6 years. It’s accompanied me to Africa on a few trips.
I wasn’t too gone on the stainless steel finish as it does shine. I had it Duracoated in a Matt coyote tan. No shine now .
It’s an accurate rifle. It was a bit of a step up in recoil from my 275. I’m not fond of shooting it off the bench. In fact since zeroing the scope, a Zeiss 1,2-5 x36 Duralyt I just practice off the sticks.
I like the short throw on the bolt,
@Sika98k - yeah, I also like the “short throw” on the Browning A Bolt - very fast to cycle another round and Sako also has a short rotation both that I also like. I’ve read Weatherby also has a very short rotation (58 degrees?). These are the advantages I feel a Push Feed can provide over a CRF —- although I understand the safety factor that many feel a CRF provides.

I've always loved the longer barrels on a bolt action since it allows me to rest the butt pad on the ground and hold the rifle! I think manufacturers stopped making barrels that long simply to cut down on material costs.

Optimizing powder charges for that barrel length with a chronograph would be an interesting exercise.

I love the look of the matte SS scopes on these rifles.

Great catch on the rifle. It looks very nice.

View attachment 610140

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonjaLatou

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?