Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No shot

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Left bull or right bull

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Unfortunately, assessing the situation from home is much easier than when standing in front of the buffalo. There are often a lot of factors that play into whether you shoot or not.

For example, on the first day of hunting it is easier to wait for a better opportunity, but on the last day you would like finally to shoot a buffalo but on the other side you are afraid of wounded it and no longer has time to take part in the search. Do you then take this risk or not, not always easy to answer.
True, all armchair quarterbacking. What would a PH say to this? More than a few on AH that may respond. I suspect all busy hunting right now! Still, I believe not worth the risk on an unwounded buffalo. Perhaps on the last day if it were a magnificent kudu, but no on a buffalo, not worth the increased risk to all involved.

This is your first shot
This is shot location only not judging trophy quality. Consider it a bull you would shoot.

Shoot or or don’t shoot and why

Left bull or right bull View attachment 620294
Not enough information to decide. What’s the range? What’s the rifle and bullet?

If very close, and if it was a bull I previously determined that I wanted, with my 458 Lott loaded with either 500 grain TTSX or A-Frame, I would shoot the old broomed bull on the right in between the red and blue dots. If the bull didn’t go down, it will at least be struggling mightily and it is wide open terrain so I will get more shots off, especially considering it is close and my CZ holds five down.

As I said, difficult to answer. You are tracking the buffalo for hours and had aimed at it several times without being able to shoot. At some point you become restless and then at a certain point there is shooting. Luckily it often works well, unfortunately not always.

When we talk about the distance, imho it does not play a too big role as always shot placement is important, but different when it comes to the cartridge used. We don't want to start a discussion about calibers, but some things that initially goes wrong went well for me thanks to the big bore used. Big wounds bleed more and ultimately lead to death.

No experience on buffalo yet. But if I had to shoot. Only looking at positions and not the buffalo itself. I would shoot the left one on the red spot with a solid. Breaking the leg and at least take one lung and possibly more vitals out.

Actually, there is a buffalo herd in the background behind these bulls and perhaps unlikely but a chance of wounding if a miss or solids being used?

Thinking about an article a read long ago by Bob Robb on alaskan grizzly hunting where he was a resident for some time. He spotted a trophy grizzly that he desired and it was walking away from him. It was out in the open I believe and range was not too far. He didn’t hesitate to shoot it in the rear, breaking a hip I believe, still getting into the vitals and he immediately followed up with more shots killing it without incident.

I also read a lot of Elmer Keith using raking shots, mostly on elk going away, knowing the large caliber bullets he was using would travel several feet into the vitals and/or breaking the off shoulder, anchoring the animal.

Personally, I don’t like a quartering away shot on buffalo like those depicted but I am confident I could place a shot exactly where my PH told me to, so if they gave me the green light maybe I would and plan on rapid follow up shots (with no buffalo herd behind them!).

No experience on buffalo yet. But if I had to shoot. Only looking at positions and not the buffalo itself. I would shoot the left one on the red spot with a solid. Breaking the leg and at least take one lung and possibly more vitals out.

I wouldn't do that and never have. You should try to get shot placements that cause as little suffering to the animal as possible. It's mentally hard enough when things don't go as planned. Aside from that, I saw buffaloes running away with a broken leg, others have surely attacked in some cases. That's why I would only try to shoot the right one, and I am no longer sure if I would do it.

Right bull, blue spot

But that big bull in the back! Where's the 11mm Creedmoor when you need one?

Shot my largest buffalo w/ Matt Hulley-Miller in Moz with a situation similar to the illustration ( 1 500 Jeff & 2 500NE) so: green on the left, blue on the right . 2 bullets exited & 1 under the skin. Lucky shooting I suppose

No shoot. If you've ever made a bad shot and lost an animal, you never want to do it again.

Do not shoot. The animal deserve greater respect than to take this angle as a first shot. Also angles can be tricky to read and your bullet may not hit exactly where you hope. I have killed scores of Cape buffalo and with a little patience and discipline you will get your good shot. These noble quarry deserve respect.

I wouldn't do that and never have. You should try to get shot placements that cause as little suffering to the animal as possible. It's mentally hard enough when things don't go as planned. Aside from that, I saw buffaloes running away with a broken leg, others have surely attacked in some cases. That's why I would only try to shoot the right one, and I am no longer sure if I would do it.
I hear you. I said if I had to take on of those shots. In reality I would not shoot on any of those positions. But if I had to take one.

If you had to choose one shot. In scenario A with a premium SP and in scenario B with a premium solid. Which one would you take? No shooting is not an option.

There are no shots presented here on either animal....certainly not a first shot.....wounded hip or spine above the tail....
Never ever take a quartering away shot on the lefthand side of a buffalo....

I'd wait for the bull on the left to give me a better shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieJess0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?