Largest Hunting Concession South Africa?

I hunted with Crusader Safaris in 2013. We hunted at Umkomas camp 160,000 acres all barbwire cattle fencing on a couple different properties. Stormberg hunting area 150,000 of barbwire on several different ranches. Bavians Conservancy is 450,000 acres encompasses dozens of ranches completely barbwire cattle fencing. It is true free range hunting as if you were hunting elk, deer or antelope on BLM or forest service land in Colorado, Wyoming etc. I would highly recommend for anyone wanting East Cape and Kwazulu-Natal species that are completely free range to look at Andrew Pringle’s fine PH’s and camps.
I hunted two different put and take operations- last year 2019 - in the Northwest Province near Tosca are the reason South Africa gets a bad rap. There was some self sustaining species for sure, but the buffalo and Sable (ear tag) were trucked in for sure! Basically target practice all species hunted-shot! Ya they were big but really!!! Back to free range only for me or 20,000 plus if high fenced with plenty of thick cover.
Matt Vejar

I many a time sit and watch YouTube videos of the so called wild areas and then you see a herd of buffalo calmly looking at the hunters wondering what is happening and then BOOOM.

Where the areas we as local South Africans hunt where the hunting pressure is real, you will battle your rear end off and walk for days on a 2000 acre High Fenced Farm without being able to get close.

Yes there are operations where you shoot your buffalo off a lusern bale. But in the end you are the one pulling the trigger, so you can always say no. I hate shooting off vehicles and can't sit still for 5 minutes, so for me all I do is on the foot. And on the foot, I have never been able to push game into a fence before I could shoot....

Make sure you don't steal from yourself in terms of the hunting experience, but don't be fooled thinking any bushveld farm of more than 1000 acres will let you feel penned in on the foot....

Dox I think that hunting report you read about Tswalu must have been before the Oppenheimers bought Tswalu. I know that the previous owner allowed hunting on Tswalu but that was many years ago. Since the Oppenheimers bought Tswalu they do not hunt any more but they do live game capture to harvest the excess numbers and to manage the game reserve.

Another very large game reserve that border my own properties are Khamab game reserve.
It is 96 000 hectares (about 237 000 acres) when I last checked unless they bought another ranch recently. It is situated in Northwest province, South Africa, north of Vryburg and just west of Bray on the Botswana border.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk
Hans,

Yes, its possible that article was about a hunt a very long time back. I sent you an email yesterday about a planned Cape Buffalo bow hunt, to which you had responded quite promptly! Thanks for that and let's keep in contact. It would be a dream to walk and stalk a "dagga boy" in the Kalahari!

You have a great outfit and I do not think anybody who joins you there will not have the time of their life!

"Sterkte hoër"

kochsafaris.com in Botswana has 250000 acres of contiguous property. Literally 1000's of animals. PG no DG. Lots of leopard but Botswana currently does not allow leopard hunting. Years ago when leopard hunting was allowed it was done with dogs and shotguns, not baited with blinds. Not SA but borders Limpopo river, basically notth of Krueger.
think a small mistake here
north of kruger is zimbabwe
botswanan is nowhere near kruger at any point

you are correct, it is not due North. but more Northwest . Regardless it is 250000 contiguous acre area.

FWIW........I have several times hunted areas advertised as "over 1 million acres" only to find that it didn't matter. Road access in some cases allowed only small portions to be hunted. On "conservancies" there are many simultaneous uses that can preclude hunting much or most of it...........great question though..............FWB

kochsafaris.com in Botswana has 250000 acres of contiguous property. Literally 1000's of animals. PG no DG. Lots of leopard but Botswana currently does not allow leopard hunting. Years ago when leopard hunting was allowed it was done with dogs and shotguns, not baited with blinds. Not SA but borders Limpopo river, basically notth of Krueger.

A point of clarification, Botswana does allow leopard hunting. It reopened this year along with elephant and buffalo hunting.

Philip, that is a great question, bearing in mind that if done properly and ethically hunting in South Africa can be just as good as hunting in any other African country.
Exactly....pity even here we have members who continuesly bash hunting in RSA due to a few sharks in the game same as you would find anywhere in the world were hunting is offered.....sad but true......

Exactly....pity even here we have members who continuesly bash hunting in RSA due to a few sharks in the game same as you would find anywhere in the world were hunting is offered.....sad but true......
And we have members here who continually try and downplay put and take practices in South Africa as only a very few bad operators to avoid a discussion. The scale and general acceptance of these practices exists no where else in the world. Certain questions need to be asked and confirmed in South Africa that don’t need to be asked elsewhere.

And we have members here who continually try and downplay put and take practices in South Africa as only a very few bad operators to avoid a discussion. The scale and general acceptance of these practices exists no where else in the world. Certain questions need to be asked and confirmed in South Africa that don’t need to be asked elsewhere.
Get a life please....

If I wanted a 200+ deer or a 400+ elk I could book 1 in USA and shoot it in a pen......

Your consistant bashing of hunting in RSA is a pain in the arse.....most members here hunt in SA.....

You should untic the follow IvW button and tick the ignore IvW one......43....

Get a life please....

If I wanted a 200+ deer or a 400+ elk I could book 1 in USA and shoot it in a pen......

Your consistant bashing of hunting in RSA is a pain in the arse.....most members here hunt in SA.....
Your statement was an attempt to draw a response.

Yes you could find 200+ inch deer or 400+ inch elk in a pen easily, but no one would try to tell you it jumped the fence, came in from Botswana, or had never been seen before. I find the truth harder to distinguish in South Africa than anywhere else in the world because many definitions have been redefined and it likely has more high fences for hunting than anywhere in the world maybe even combined. It worth a discussion but your method is to refuse to acknowledge or deflect.

Last edited:
Your statement was an attempt to draw a response.

Yes you could find 200+ inch deer or 400+ inch elk in a pen easily, but no one would try to tell you it jumped the fence, came in from Botswana, or had never been seen before. I find the truth harder to distinguish in South Africa than anywhere else in the world because many definitions have been redefined and it likely has more high fences than anywhere in the world maybe even combined. It worth a discussion but your method is to refuse to acknowledge or deflect.
I have never said it does not exist.....you however put all hunting in RSA under the same blanket.....which is not the case....totally uninformed and obviously anti hunting RSA mentality.....
If you dont hunt RSA fine but dont bash it for others....

You tend to make up your own conclusions.....

I was in camp when an illegal leopard hunt took place, I reported the incident before the leopard was shot to authorities....nothing was done....the outfitter was arrested when he tried to smuggle the skin in to the states.....1 example of many...

I hate illegal hunting and put and take operations....it exist all over the world....

You convinced yourself I am a keypad warrior....I bet I hunted more dg before I qualified as a dg ph than what you have hunted in total....

I probably shoot more pac a year than what you have hunted dg in total....

But you want reports and photos and and and......

I am not here to boast with client trophys I guided.

You dont like what I post hit the ignore button but pls stop posting accusations about people you know nothing about.

Again if you do not agree with the RSA hunting system fine dont do it....if you have issues about certain illegal activities then name and shame or shut your trap and find somebody else to harras...

Last edited:
I have never said it does not exist.....you however put all under hunting in RSA under the same blanket.....which is not the case....titally uninformed and obviously ant hunting RSA mentality.....
If you dont hunt RSA fine but dont bash it for others....

You tend to make up your own conclusions.....

I was in camp when an illegal leopard hunt took place, I reported the incident before the leopard was shot to authorities....nithing was done....the outfitter was arrested when he tried to smuggle the skin in to the states.....1 example of many...

I hate illegal hunting and put and take operations....it exist all over the world....

You convinced yourself I am a keypad warrior....I bet I hunted more dg before I qualified as a dg ph than what you have hunted in total....

I probably shoot more pac a year than what you have hunted dg in total....

But you want reports and photos and and and......

I am not here to boast with client trophys I guided.

You dont like what I post hit the ignore button but pls stop posting accusations about people you know nothing about.

Again if you do not agree with the RSA hunting system fine dont do it....if you have issues about certain illegal activities then name and shame or shut your trap and find somebody else to harras...
You write statements in an attempt to draw a response. I’ve drawn my conclusions because you refuse to provide details why you have your opinions when asked for clarification which I would think would be very easy for a PH to do. Consider the responses to the wording of your statements when you post them if you want a different response.

You write statements in an attempt to draw a response. I’ve drawn my conclusions because you refuse to provide details why you have your opinions when asked for clarification which I would think would be very easy for a PH to do. Consider the responses to the wording of your statements when you post them if you want a different response.
Again hit the ignore button then......

Again hit the ignore button then......
I believe you are the one who doesn’t want to read my posts. I’ll continue responding when I disagree. You can do what you like.

refuse to provide details why you have your opinions when asked for clarification
What details for what opinions are you refering to that I need to clarify exactly?

An outfit called Kalahari Oryx, which is booked by Chapungu-Kambako Safaris, advertises that their hunting area is 212k acres. It’s in the Northern Cape. I know nothing about it, other than what I see on the internet. Has anyone hunted there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miisoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]