Kudu Only Hunt

Warbird you are racking them up for sure! When I get the elephant this year and a big kudu steps put I'm going to roll him.

I have only been on two hunts to Africa and taken 23 animals/15 species. The kudu still ranks on top for pg species. I think even a split trip between the Limpopo and Cape might be in order. If in the Limpopo I would have to add a bushbuck to go with my cape bushbucks. The kudu is an all around great hunt.

@UKHunter wait until you see one in person! If a nice one steps out it is very hard to not pull the trigger. Good luck with that!

Dave

Dave,

That's the thing, I saw a lot of them while I was hunting, including some big ones. Dont get me wrong I think they are a stunning creature and I can see why people pursue them but I dont know, they just dont quite make me think; "Man I cant go to Africa and not shoot one".

You do need serious counseling.

With regard to multiple kudu, make sure you have an outfitter who truly will support your goal. Big mature bulls are a bit like big elk - even free range areas will only have so many and those on high- fenced properties are absolutely finite. Your PH has others hunters coming out who will also dream of those spiral horns. Also, a lot of areas have been really hit by the rabies epidemic - particularly in Namibia. A lot of outfitters are self-limiting their quotas to help the herds bounce back.
You are dead right and the drought in Namibia is not helping either .

Who hasn't thought about a kudu only hunt? I think 10days with 5-7 kudu sounds about right.

Who hasn't thought about a kudu only hunt? I think 10days with 5-7 kudu sounds about right.

Sounds great but you can only shoot 2 of any species in Namibia unless it is a cull animal .

I have an outfitter in the Eastern Cape that will let me shoot as many as I want. But I would be amenable to Warbird's suggested Limpopo, Eastern Cape split :-)!

Dave, will be more than happy to organize a Kudu only hunt for you. We have some free range areas for Kudu as well, so could split the hunt between our regular concessions and the free range area. Doing it over the right time of the year would help a lot in your quest.
Please let me know if you need any further info, and I would be happy to run some ideas past you.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

That would confirm the multiple concession concept to accommodate this idea.

I am so going to do this at some point.

My son is after a kudu this year, I have to say after he gets his if we see another it will be hard for me not to blast it. I'm going with the intention of taking a big bushbuck after my lion and buff are down but I know myself well enough to know there is no way I could let a 50+ inch kudu walk.

Warbird782, I would highly recommend a only Kudu Hunt. Even if you keep to one province you can hunt in very different typography and vegetation. If you choose to hunt in the Eastern Cape you can hunt Kudu in the following six totally different converging biomes:

(a) The Savannah Biome which includes the valley bushveld flora of the summer rainfall area
(b) The Fynbos Biome characteristic of a winter rainfall
(c) The Grassland Biome which includes Flora of higher altitudes
(d) The Succulent-Karoo Biome with its Flora which flourishes under arid and semi-arid conditions
(e) The Thornfelt-Karoo Biome
(f) Indigenous Forest Biome

They are all relatively close to each other. If your looking for monster sized Kudu its probably better to go up North (In the Eastern Cape Average bull size is between 44-47” , with a really big bull being 50-55) Being a son of the Eastern Cape I am biased to hunting hunting there.

Kudu hunting and getting that old mature bull is no doubt awesome!!!

Not really dressed up for hunting, I was on my way to the house and I saw this old bull. Its not everyday you come across a beauty like this going into his third turn. I jumped off the van, followed him for around 300m down a hill and got a perfect box shot on him with a .243

IMG_5157.JPG

I reckon that's pretty ambitious... Especially under fair hunting conditions (on foot) on large areas... I like were your heads at though!

Mountains, Bino's and kudu's! They also have great bulls in Limpopo boys!

My best always

I think a kudu only hunt is great idea....it's been on the dream list for years. I'm okay waiting a few years to do it yet, there are other animals I would like to take first.

I just couldn't hunt Kudu only. Someone mentioned kid in a candy shop!
Got this big guy in 2013 and he measured 54 1/4 inches. Now while I'm there this August if one bigger presents himself I'm not sure I could resist!
These things are just majestic creatures.
image.jpg

Kudu seem to be one of those critters that are much like a "fish story", in that they grow in the telling. I was a little disappointed in my first kudu from Botswana as he didn't make 50, close but not 50. My second kudu I saw measured in front of me, was over 50 and turned out to be a mere 47. How you ask? Not sure but the PH showed me a picture of a tape that was seen around camp that had its first 3 or so inches lopped off and the little edge catcher riveted back on. It should have been thrown away of course. When this was discovered I asked for and received a full refund on the trophy fee as I had stipulated that I would not drop the hammer on a kudu under 50. I would have been more forgiving for an honest field mistake in guessing but this was more than that. My 3rd bull, my avatar bull is an honest 51 on one side and just 50 on the other. He isn't the handsomest bull, but the biggest of my 3. I will probably take more kudu, but an all kudu hunt would not be for me. It will also have to be a pretty big one. I passed on a couple over 52 in Zim in 2011 as I was primarily hunting eland. Didn't get one of those either! Ahh, hunting!

...When this was discovered I asked for and received a full refund on the trophy fee as I had stipulated that I would not drop the hammer on a kudu under 50. I would have been more forgiving for an honest field mistake in guessing but this was more than that.... ...3 or so inches lopped off and the little edge catcher riveted back... ...

Good for you. Honest mistakes are one thing, dishonesty is quite another. I see no gray area on the intent to deceive here.

It seems like I will probably only hunt kudu on my next journey to the EC. I will be bringing my daughter on her first safari and her trophy list is growing by the day. Most of the critters we hunt will be with her behind the gun. She said that she would let me hunt a kudu or two but everything else would be for her.

Where in the EC are you planning to hunt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shrec2000

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.