Krieghoff Classic - system milling

vladi

Reaction score
Website
www.farhunt.co.uk
Member of
Croatian Hunting Association
Hunted
Namibia, Croatia, England, Spain, Portugal, Finland, Canada, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary
Hi guys.
I came into possession of a Krieghoff Classic "project rifle" in 8x75RS calibre.
The rifle has installed sideplates, but not in the way it is done in the factory, but the rifle head is milled to fit the plates. I took the rifle to my gunsmith and he assures me that this is not a significant issue for rifle safety. On the one hand, I'm not worried because when I look at some much larger calibre rifles with real sidelocks, which have literally a hollow sidewall (example picture 3), I think that this situation of mine can't be too much of a problem. But on the other hand, the fact is that the rifle is weakened so it bothers me a bit. I was thinking of sending an inquiry to Krieghoff, but clearly, they would say it was inadmissible etc, if not for gunsmith reasons, then for legal reasons.
Any gunsmiths here? Clearly, I don’t expect anyone to say this is better than the original, but I’m hoping for some realistic discussion. Thank you.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 11.26.32 (1).jpeg
260077533_435569914843646_8775397783052259808_n.png
sidelock-18-980x551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Vladi, I am not a gunsmith, but I am an engineer. There is so little wood removed there that it will not make any significant reduction in strength. In fact the side plates add a little reinforcing. Especially in that mild calibre I wouldn't worry at all. It looks to be quite a nice job by the way, maybe get a nice game scene lazer engraved to set it off?

Thanks Kevin for the encouraging words. Yes, my plan is to finish that rifle by the end of the year. I had already arranged a hand engraving in Suhl, Germany, but before such an investment, I was a little bothered by this "milling problem".

Hi Vladi, I am not a gunsmith, but I am an engineer. There is so little wood removed there that it will not make any significant reduction in strength. In fact the side plates add a little reinforcing. Especially in that mild calibre I wouldn't worry at all. It looks to be quite a nice job by the way, maybe get a nice game scene lazer engraved to set it off?
Just so there is no confusion - I'm not worried about the milled wooden part, but the milled metal part of the rifle head :X3:

That small amount of milling should be no problems, the sideplates will add some strength back into the system. On a small caliber like the 8x57 things should be no problem. Might worry if it was a 500-600NE.

To my eyes it looks like most of the strength in the action has been milled away and I wouldn't trust it. Remember the breechface is connected to the action pivot and the locking mechanism via the action walls. The action in picture 3 still has much of the raised reinforced section intact. In your action that is mostly missing. ps The screw on sideplates don't add any significant mechanical strength to the action and won't stop stretching or flexing, they are largely decorative.

It shouldn't need saying, but getting internet adivice on a critical safety/engineering issue isn't the optimal solution. I'd seriously go to either Krieghoff or at least an experienced double rifle smith and get an expert opinion, even if they tell you something you don't want to hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhoebeRade

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with