Knockabout/ utility rifles

My .375 Ruger Alaskan, it goes in my truck on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and comes out on the 10th of February. That’s our Alabama deer season. I carry it on my daily noon time walks. It’s been to Africa and I’ve taken numerous hogs and whitetail here in the states.
It has the Houge stock and the 20”barrel. I shoot 300DGX out of it and carry some DGS in case I see something that I don’t want to ruin the skin of like a bobcat or a good haired coyote.

My daughter shooting it last year off of the sled.

Attachments

• 40E77F95-5631-4794-9D0E-86542C5BD584.jpeg
    40E77F95-5631-4794-9D0E-86542C5BD584.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
My .375 Ruger Alaskan, it goes in my truck on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and comes out on the 10th of February. That’s our Alabama deer season. I carry it on my daily noon time walks. It’s been to Africa and I’ve taken numerous hogs and whitetail here in the states.
It has the Houge stock and the 20”barrel. I shoot 300DGX out of it and carry some DGS in case I see something that I don’t want to ruin the skin of like a bobcat or a good haired coyote.

My daughter shooting it last year off of the sled.
I have 20" 375 Ruger set up similar to my 416 Ruger. It was my primary moose-rifle, until I started using the 416 Ruger. I like it Lots ! The shorter barrels, stainless. and synthetics combinations are hard to beat.

I have 20" 375 Ruger set up similar to my 416 Ruger. It was my primary moose-rifle, until I started using the 416 Ruger. I like it Lots ! The shorter barrels, stainless. and synthetics combinations are hard to beat.
I hope to one day take it to Alaska and hunt a moose, black bear or a grizzly. But those hunts except the black bear have gotten out of my price range.

Forgot, mine is topped with a Leopold VX 6 fire dot 1-6.

Do you have a knockabout/ utility rifle?
I have some favorite rifles, yes. Safe queen, yes.
But all of them, are knockabout rifles!

In this dilemma at the beginning, I told my self and decided: I will use them all, I will not cry over scratches, and in the worst case, I will afford new stock and bluing after 10 years if need be.

Hard use is one thing, and on the other hand I treat my rifles fair, regular cleaning and maintenance. But superficial scratches I consider irrelevant.

I would treat Holland&Holland, Purdey, or Rigby just the same.
It has noting to do with commercial value of the rifle.

I have enjoyed this post and looking at everyone's rifles. It certainly reflects the different taste in firearms people have. The one that stands out to me as a thing of beauty is Jack Steven's grandfather sporter 30-40 Krag rifle.
Thank you!

A couple more pics of items I think make this one unique … When’s the last time you saw a checkered pistol grip with a custom grip cap on a Krag?

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Or a knurled bolt knob?

IMG_0126.jpeg

Obviously Gramps put some hard-earned Depression-era greenbacks into this one, but I’ve got no idea who did the work. I’m certain it wasn’t someone named “Bubba.”

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baconmaker

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.