Kenya Airways

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
I've never heard of Kenya Airways, but they just popped up on Expedia as a very affordable flight. ORD to JFK to NBO to JNB.

I'll be traveling with a rifle.

Thoughts?

I've never heard of Kenya Airways, but they just popped up on Expedia as a very affordable flight. ORD to JFK to NBO to JNB.

I'll be traveling with a rifle.

Thoughts?
Country doesn’t allow hunting - I Imagine they don’t allow firearms if I had to bet

Not a bad airline… I’ve flown with them many times… the airport in Nairobi leaves a bit to be desired.. but it’s not the worst place I’ve flown in or out of…

Never flown them with firearms before though.. so can’t help you there…

Personally I'd stick with direct routes such as Delta directly to Joberg from Atlanta.

I would also suggest a travel agent for the flights. What little you pay them is well worth it by the time that you figure out just what you are spending on the whole trip.

Plus you have someone to take care of any problems if they occur, and they do occur.

Not a bad airline… I’ve flown with them many times… the airport in Nairobi leaves a bit to be desired.. but it’s not the worst place I’ve flown in or out of…

Never flown them with firearms before though.. so can’t help you there…
I was on a Kigali-Nairobi-Brussels flight the day after the Nairobi terminal burned. It was still smoldering. Haven't been back to Nairobi since. Is the new terminal the one you are talking about or the old terminal?

I was on a Kigali-Nairobi-Brussels flight the day after the Nairobi terminal burned. It was still smoldering. Haven't been back to Nairobi since. Is the new terminal the one you are talking about or the old terminal?

Both lol…

The old terminal that burned in 2013 I thought was ok for arrivals… not super efficient, but they kept things maintained and it was pretty easy to deal with customs and immigration, etc… I thought departures were pretty substandard though… not much in the way of decent places to eat or good seating anywhere.. the AC never could keep up with the heat, etc…

The “new” terminal was intentionally built to be a “temporary” facility.. so they didn’t put a whole lot into it… there’s nothing wrong with it per se so much as there is also nothing particularly nice about it either… it’s definitely way behind something like the airports in Joberg or Cape Town for example in terms of amenities, comfort, etc… and it’s at the absolute end of its shelf life now… they opened it in 2015 intending on it only being used for 10 years..

My understanding is they’re getting ready to break ground on a new airport now that should be on par with something like joberg..but it’s going to be a 2.5 year project (which really means 3-3.5)… which will put the “temporary” terminal well past its designed life cycle by the time the new airport opens…

Both lol…

The old terminal that burned in 2013 I thought was ok for arrivals… not super efficient, but they kept things maintained and it was pretty easy to deal with customs and immigration, etc… I thought departures were pretty substandard though… not much in the way of decent places to eat or good seating anywhere.. the AC never could keep up with the heat, etc…

The “new” terminal was intentionally built to be a “temporary” facility.. so they didn’t put a whole lot into it… there’s nothing wrong with it per se so much as there is also nothing particularly nice about it either… it’s definitely way behind something like the airports in Joberg or Cape Town for example in terms of amenities, comfort, etc… and it’s at the absolute end of its shelf life now… they opened it in 2015 intending on it only being used for 10 years..

My understanding is they’re getting ready to break ground on a new airport now that should be on par with something like joberg..but it’s going to be a 2.5 year project (which really means 3-3.5)… which will put the “temporary” terminal well past its designed life cycle by the time the new airport opens…

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize the new terminal was meant to be temporary. Word at the time of the fire they were going to put up a couple of circus tents temporarily but I don't know if that ever happened.

Do you know where they are planning to put the new airport. I can't picture a good location with flat ground and room for multidirectional runways without being way out of town or without dealing with a lot of eminent domain other than the National Park.

Both lol…

This here about covers it for the airport and airline. My experience is also as above. For transit of firearms I would give them a call and ask them to send you an email of there customs procedures.

Delta - Atlanta to Johannesburg. Easy peezy…

Both lol…

My son was actually in Nairobi scheduled to depart the day of the fire. What a cluster! We finally got him out three days later.

Kenya is a decent airline, I’ve flown them many times. However, I wouldn’t try them or the route the OP has indicated with a rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielHoido

Latest profile posts

rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,