July Safari is almost here! Last min tips please!

Don't be hung up on a precise list of animals, have some in mind obviously but take what comes your way, relax and enjoy the experience.
Hunting to a list can spoil the enjoyment if you miss out on something so if you don't get a particular animal this time, there is an excuse to go back and try again.
Don't put pressure on the PH or yourself. Just take in the whole adventure.
Take photos of everything. Delete any you don't want but never miss the opportunity to take photos.
Lip balm and cold remedies are something I will never neglect to take again.
I forgot both last time and picked up my only cold of the year on the plane and my lips were bleeding constantly due to cracking. Take plenty even if you don't need them.

Enjoy and have fun. Write in a journal each days events.

Most of the prep is done and my gun paperwork is already cleared in South Africa.

Just a thought, if you are flying through another country don't forget the paperwork for transiting with firearms.

Otherwise, I think the biggest challenge will be enduring the month of June. Have fun and report!

No advice, but good luck. Make sure to give us a report afterward.

Those pack and dip prices are outrageous. I paid $100 per animal and $100 crate fee, which included transposition cost to the freight broker at JNB.

Those pack and dip prices are outrageous. I paid $100 per animal and $100 crate fee, which included transposition cost to the freight broker at JNB.

Seven Animals
Pack and Dip + crate $800
Shipping RSA to Chicago $761
Coppersmith $737

ALL IN Total from RSA to USA $2298

Est. Taxidermy: $6365 plus shipping to Texas.

Less clothes, more money.
Shoot that animal "you arent sure about".
Take a couple Wilbur Smith books (Assegai is a good start)
Lots of pics and video.
Eat everything (at least try it all)
Comfy clothes for fireside in evening
Take the animals Africa gives you, not what you want.
Dont mount everything, you will be back.

Savor every moment of the hunt and keep a journal. Five years after the hunt names and places start to fade from memory. But with pictures and good notes the trip will last your lifetime and can be passed down to the next generation!

Seven Animals
Pack and Dip + crate $800
Shipping RSA to Chicago $761
Coppersmith $737

ALL IN Total from RSA to USA $2298

Est. Taxidermy: $6365 plus shipping to Texas.
@wesheltonj can I ask you who you used for dip & pack and Taxidermy?

Just looked again. I can use a different taxi if I want. Here's the caveat provided if I choose a different taxi.

If you choose to use a Taxidermist other than Taxidermy Africa our storage of your Trophies will cost $ 500 which is payable to Richard Holmes Safaris at the end of your safari, and is refundable if other taxidermist picks up your trophys with in a week of your departure. As we have a permanent long term relationship with Taxidermy Africa they are punctual about picking up your Trophies from us. The hunter must also supply enough tags from the other taxidermist for PH here to write on the details of each animal eg. hunters name, species, skull & horns, cape etc.( supply 3 tags per animal )

That timeline and charge is a little sad really.

I agree those dip pack fees are high! My other advice is as the others have said if the PH says holy crap that's a huge whatever shoot it. And I think you should have some idea of what big is thus I recommend you look at SCI record book and lots of pictures.
I heard one PH tell another once to try and get me to shoot lesser quality animals but the main PH said no way he is a SCI measurer and will know and wont ever do that to my hunter ! So thus have a rough idea of what you are shooting at some Ph aren't so honest.

Going to the range is helpful. Better is to make sure and practice off shooting sticks. I will suggest having a set at home and dry firing 10-20 times a day or more. My first trip it was awkward using shooting sticks. Especially at first. I have taken my trigger sticks the last 3 times I've gone. Its what I have practiced with and can use pretty well. If you can shoot well it makes your PH happier. Nothing worse than losing an animal and still having to pay for it.
Candy is nice to share around. Some PH's have a sweet tooth. You can always ask. I also ask if their is something I can bring from the states that may be less $$ or more available. At one point Patsy considered asking me to bring over her wedding dress for her marriage to Bluey.
Go through your meds and be sure to take everything you need. Sunscreen and insect repellent are good to have. Bring something for your bowels. Something may not agree and you'd hate to lose part of a day sitting on a toilet. My 2nd trip they served some blood sausage that had something wrong with it. I didn't eat it. All who did were sick the next day including the PH's. One of my hunting buddies lost 1 1/2 days to that..... Bandaids and super glue for cuts and blisters. A needle and if you need it magnification to get out slivers and thorns.
Make sure that your shoes/boots are well broken in. Have good quality socks. I sometimes bring extra socks and change them at lunch. Being able to walk can help your success.
Bring a warm windproof jacket. First thing in the AM can be darn cold on the back of the truck. Layers are important so you can be comfortable at any temp. I take a small daypack with me. I can use it to store clothes in as I take them off. I also bring candy for everyone in it. Bring a good hat. Make sure and take good sunglasses if your eyes have any sensitivity to sun... Light gloves can be helpful on a brisk AM ride in the back of a truck.
Make sure that you have a decent quality of camera and know how to use it. I had one of my settings moved twice on my last trip. Screwed up the photos some so I was not impressed..... Bring spare batteries. Make sure you have enough memory cards. My last trip to africa I hunted w/ 3 different companies and had a different card for each.
Be sure you have a lens cleaning kit. I clean my scope 2 times a day as well as my bino's and camera lens. Doesn't have to be a big kit, just has to have what you need. If you can't see the animal the you can't shoot it. Clean lenses are really helpful.
If you have a spouse or buddy going with you then I'd suggest sending half of your ammo with them. That way if your bag gets lost or delayed a couple of days you can get started with some. If you reload be sure and try every shell in your rifle to make sure that it chambers. Use premium bullets. If your shooting at a trophy eland and your bullet doesn't preform then you pay a trophy fee with no animal to show for it. In the grand scheme of safari costs a couple hundred bucks for the best available bullets is a small price to pay. You'll sleep better if do.
Thats all I can think of right off hand. Best of luck and please write a report on your return. Bruce

don't forget the bug dope!!! nobody wants tick fever. i did get it when i was in SA, so...... bring bug dope and check yourself well when you get out of the bush daily.

Practice off the sticks...

don't forget the bug dope!!! nobody wants tick fever. i did get it when i was in SA, so...... bring bug dope and check yourself well when you get out of the bush daily.
On the bug dope get yourself some Permethrin and treat your clothing at home before you leave. Walmart has it in the camping section of the store. It will keep the ticks and no-see-ums at bay, that along with a heavy application of a insect spray with DEET will make your trek more enjoyable

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Premium-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B01M4KFZME

On the shooting sticks it will all depends on how your hunting areas are. On my hunt I only had to take two standing shots, the rest were while I was sitting and the PH's sticks were very easy to use. Standing on the other hand took a little getting used to and I was glad that I had practiced at home with a Bog Pod. I found it a little bit funny that when I got over into the field in Africa that all the PH's in our group were packing Bog Pods.

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 4.01.10 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profnjuki

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?