Judging Red Hartebeest

Limpopo SA with Kuche Safaries. Every animal they put me on was an amazing trophy including this Red Hartebeest

Did not get any measurements on him during the hunt so that will have to wait until the taxidermy crate arrives.

This was a long spot and stalk , my PH finally got me within 35 yards and told me to take the shot. After I patted myself down I reluctantly admitted I could not, because I had lost my release! Without a word he CRAWLED back the way we came while I kept eyes on the Hartebeest. After 10-15 minutes my PH returned with my release, handed to me. I made the shot and here he is!
View attachment 523386View attachment 523387
This was also taken in Limpopo with Kuche! They’re a great outfit! I’ll be going back at some point!

dae58594-96e2-454a-a895-bd87455f6657.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice red hartebeests posted in this thread. Yes, they can be tough to accurately judge. Best to have more than one mature male in vicinity for comparison. At a glance good ones appear to have a lot of head gear and that headgear appears at least as tall as their face is long. Yes, heavy bases and height and rear sweep- all good. Then the wide, somewhat angular appearing hourglass shape is good. All easier said than done of course under field conditions.

Here's another one for comparison. Heavy, with 24" length.

View attachment 195831
Not just nice headgear, but stunning coloration on that one. A wonderful specimen all the way around.

Here is the one I shot in the Eastern Cape. We did not measure it, but by the looks of it, I'd say it's a great animal.

RED HARTEBEEST.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heather387

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex
A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?