Journey to becoming an American PH in Africa

LEOPARD HUNTING

Leopard hunting has become quite an addictive hobby. Actually, not a hobby. It’s what I live and breathe for these days. It’s a constant chess match with these smart, cunning, elusive cats. Even when not actively hunting for leopards I am constantly studying and learning as much as I can about Mr. Spots. With well over 50 Leopards that I have recorded on trail camera the past 3 years. Learning each and every cat at a bait is a necessity when it comes to being a good cat hunter. From the females, her cubs, and then the males. We have multiple years of photos of the same cats on bait and watching the young males grow into big mature Toms is a very neat experience, especially when we are able to finally harvest him. Take for instance one of the cats shot this year in 2021. In 2020 he was a big mature cat that we gladly would of killed if given the opportunity. This year we had him on bait again and could instantly tell from his body condition he had lost a ton of weight. But, that’s another story I’ll share further down the road.

The first time I was introduced to leopard hunting I was riding in a truck with 4 local Tanzanians that were all easily twice my age and had been doing this for many years. Of course none of them spoke very much English and my Kiswahili was subpar at best. So we all piled into a land cruiser with a truck full of meat and a couple gut buckets driving out into the bush, and I had no idea what to think. These areas we hunt in Tanzania are huge, roughly 1400 sq kilometers each, and we can drive all day without reaching the end of the concession. There is an endless amount of baits to be hung. So I was really just along for the ride. The first time we got to a bait tree I stood around like a lost puppy while all the guys went to work prepping and preparing the baits. I ended up getting put in charge of doing the gut drags and boy was that one of the nastiest things I have ever had to do. I swear that smell seeps into your skin and even after 3 showers still doesn’t go away! But to this day I still love the thrill and excitement of baiting. Never a dull moment when rolling up to a bait tree and seeing that something has been feeding and trying to decipher all the sign around the tree and checking the trail cameras.

And from what I’ve seen and learned, each and every cat is different. One cat may prefer to feed at last light on an impala, I’ve seen one who is crazy for zebra and would prefer to feed mornings, you just never know what you’re going to get when it comes to these amazing animals.

Every hunt I’ve been a part of in Africa has been an incredible and special experience, but there is just something about those frisky felines that I can’t get enough of!

Ive attached a few of my favorite trail camera pictures from this past season

--Sam
View attachment 449665View attachment 449666View attachment 449667View attachment 449668
You're doing it right man. Putting in the hard work for your dream. Keep at it and best of luck with your exams. Well done.

Also, hats off to Nathan for offering an opportunity like this.

Congratulations Sam and good luck on your exam!

Are you able to work the hunting season in Tanzania and then return to the States? If so, can you give some insight on that?
Thank you!

When I land in Tanzania I am able to get a 90 day Visa. I then have to get a letter from the Tanzania Wildlife Authority that gives me permission to get into the hunting area. Where I will spend most of my 90 days in the hunting camp, which gets me through about half of the hunting season.

As I get further along and after I sit the exam I will have to look into staying over there for longer periods to do a full season.

All together there is no problems jumping back and forth from the US to Tanzania

--Sam Beavers

“SCAR FACE”

The wail and giggle of a Hyena is one of the quintessential sounds associated with Africa. Not a night goes by that you don’t find these humpbacked predators lurking around a hunting camp. Coming in to the smell of a fresh meat hanging in the skinning shed.

Nathan, myself, and our 2 clients had just spent 5 days in the spike camp, on the northern boundary of the concession, in central Tanzania. And the “Chui” spike camp had paid off yet again. Taking a fantastic, old Leopard and a magnificent, hard bossed Buffalo we were all feeling good approaching the latter part of our 21-day Safari. This was the first, true Safari I had been a constant part of in my 3 years of apprenticeship. Being along on the hunting vehicle more days than not and watching everything up-close and personal.

It was a good 6-hour drive back to the main camp and we were going to hunt our way back throughout the day. Looking for another good Buffalo or maybe a Lichtenstein Hartebeest as that was something we hadn’t had an opportunity to hunt yet. About halfway through the day Nathan asked the client if hunting a Hyena was of any interest. “Well of course!”, was the instant reply. Now, anyone who has tried to hunt these nervous creatures know it can be difficult. Even more so in the daylight! In Tanzania we are not allowed to shoot anything at night per government regulations. So, trying to nab one of these guys wasn’t going to be an easy task. A lion bait we had previously hung was a known hangout of Hyenas. In particular, what appeared to be one old man, who’s right side of the face had a large pink scar that was very noticeable. For a Hyena to feed on a lion bait, he better have hops like MJ or find another way to feed. And that’s what ole Scar Face did. He would crawl up and nestle himself in the crook of the forked tree the bait was hanging in and proceed to help himself to whatever was on the menu that day. He was feeding both night and day, and was never too far away after a fresh bait was hung. According to the trail cameras he was showing up within 5 minutes of us leaving the tree. With a blind already built, all we had to do was slip in a couple hours before dark and wait to see if we could get a crack at this particular Hyena.

Settling into the blind, Nathan, the two clients, and myself got comfortable excepting that if he was going to make an appearance it would be at least a couple hours from now. Forty minutes after the truck left, with the clients playing candy crush on their phone, and Nathan who may or may not have been resting his eyes, leaving me, the ever vigilant Appy to keep an eye on things…. Out of nowhere I see a blur of movement and in the next instant there is a Hyena hanging from the bait. As quickly and quietly as I could, I alerted everyone because this was fixing to happen fast. Confirming this was indeed Scar Face all we had to do was wait for him to let go and stand broadside. Sure enough everything worked as it should. He let go and flopped to the ground, stood up broadside, and Nathan told our shooter to send it. A perfect shot was made, and that old, smelly, Hyena was heading back to the camp with a very happy group of hunters.

--Sam Beavers
@sambeavershunting on Instagram
https://bulletsafaris.com/
https://iowatrophyhunts.net/

IMG_4829.jpg
STC_0148.JPG
STC_0246.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokhibaoanhhn4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?