Jason Stone

So, a record book - trophy hunter hunts with the same outfitter, for 10 years (2001 - 2011), spends 200.000 US$ per year for safaris, and after 10 years he wakes up, and suddenly realizes that his trophies are falsely measured? (and by profession he is investment wizard)

To me this somehow smells fishy! Something is wrong in this story.

In another news, in interview in 2015 - he said he quit hunting (2011 then, just about that time), and now after ten years he says an outfitter overcharged him on false trophy records. (?!)

qoute
  • Says he never paid 'big money' to hunt animals like many wealthy people
unqoute

Ey, boys, dont you smell some hidden agenda?

This is classic fake news spin. Dont even bother reading it.

So, a record book - trophy hunter hunts with the same outfitter, for 10 years (2001 - 2011), spends 200.000 US$ per year for safaris, and after 10 years he wakes up, and suddenly realizes that his trophies are falsely measured? (and by profession he is investment wizard)

To me this somehow smells fishy! Something is wrong in this story.

In another news, in interview in 2015 - he said he quit hunting (2011 then, just about that time), and now after ten years he says an outfitter overcharged him on false trophy records. (?!)

qoute
  • Says he never paid 'big money' to hunt animals like many wealthy people
unqoute

Ey, boys, dont you smell some hidden agenda?

This is classic fake news spin. Dont even bother reading it.
Looks like ole Agnus is a total con artist. Wonder what he was planning to do with all those rhinos he was trying to breed since he now states that hunting is wrong?

Reactions: RTG
And in other news today Jason’s brother Clinton has been flown out of Zambia to A hospital in South Africa with African Sleeping sickness. They have launched an appeal to raise funds for the medical expenses…. I’m sure Angus has made a donation!

Looks like ole Agnus is a total con artist. Wonder what he was planning to do with all those rhinos he was trying to breed since he now states that hunting is wrong?
Not to get too side tracked, but you don't have to kill the rhino to collect the horn. So farmers are raising them and periodically trimming them for sale.

So I wonder if the outfitter was an official SCI scorer? If so he is in big trouble. Plus if a trophy is top 20 SCI it must be measured by a master scorer. I am sure more will come out.
PG

Sad, but I'd say some blame goes to Murray for never having any of these animals measured by anyone but the outfitter. Anything going official should have been measured by someone unbiased and unafilliated. Personally I am curious about one animal I've taken and if the first measurement by the taxidermist went into the top ten I'd request another measurement from someone else, just to play it safe.
Top 20 has to be scored by a master measurer for SCI.

Sad, but I'd say some blame goes to Murray for never having any of these animals measured by anyone but the outfitter. Anything going official should have been measured by someone unbiased and unafilliated. Personally I am curious about one animal I've taken and if the first measurement by the taxidermist went into the top ten I'd request another measurement from someone else, just to play it safe.
Yes. I should not have trusted a Master Measurer under SCI to have integrity and to be honest. This was a mistake. I also should not trust mechanic when they fix my break pads but I sadly continue to believe that most people are honest. But you are correct. I should have checked.

The hunter in this case, one Angus Murray, lost money on a Rhino farm in partnership with his PH. That, apparently, caused his horns to shrink. You can sue anyone for just about anything. But I think that this suit may be because Angus had trouble breeding a rhino. Now he demands satisfaction. OK. If he had made tons of money rhino-ing, would his trophies still be big enough? Quite possibly. Would like to hear the PH's side of this....thanks for posting............FWB
This is completely untrue. I was wishing to breed Rhino for conversation and never to make any money from breeding Rhino. The trophies didn't change size (dramatically shrink) because of any other reason than fraud. Honesty is a quality we shouldn't have to hope for but should expect. You should get your facts correct when you write comments online. Any proceeds from this outcome of this case will be donated to charities or NGO's that help save the environment.

Yes. I should not have trusted a Master Measurer under SCI to have integrity and to be honest. This was a mistake. I also should not trust mechanic when they fix my break pads but I sadly continue to believe that most people are honest. But you are correct. I should have checked.
Angus,
I guess the question is we’re you paying extra for a certain score on these animals? I am just curious and not trying to insinuate anything.

I found this paragraph from the article really interesting:

"Stone isn’t just accused of faking the size of animals Murry bagged — the hunter also allegedly bought live animals at auction and placed “them in a canned setting for a hunter willing to pay Stone ‘crazy amounts’ of money, under the false impression that the animal is free range,” the court papers charge."

How can someone possibly think that getting multiple top 10 trophies is coming from free-range animals? I don't care how much $$$ you have i don't think there is a single outfitter, in say Alaska, who could guarantee you a top 10 moose or brown bear. That's just not how free range hunting works. Luck is a huge component in bagging such an animal. Even if you hunt with the best outfitter and in the best area. Bagging just one top 10 animal is a huge achievement and one that the vast majority of hunters will never achieve. Bagging over 20 animals that make the top 10- i am frankly surprised that anyone could think these are "free range" animals.

The fact that an outfitter is "guaranteeing" clients super high scoring trophies should already be setting off alarm bells. No credible or honest outfitter who hunts free range animals would do such a thing.

But another thing, honesty aside, if size or record book scores matter so much to someone i would think that they should familiarize themselves with scoring and be able to roughly do it themselves. Measuring horns, antlers, skulls etc... isn't rocket science.

Thanks for setting the record straight, Angus. And thanks for joining Africa Hunting. A great pro-hunting organization.
The Daily Mail and The New York Post both quote you as saying "I now realize that hunting animals is wrong". If that's accurate, then you become the first openly anti-hunter to join AH during the years that I have participated. (to my knowledge, at least.) There are always a few anti hunting trolls lurking under our bridges, pretending to be hunters. But you are, effectively, out of the closet. I had a friend that went anti. Destroyed his firearms, threw trophies in the dump, got rid of his leather shoes and belts, and went vegan. He had to. Can't use animal products without somebody killing them. If you walk the walk, then it's a must. I'm sure you would agree. To digress a bit, there was this Dentist that killed a lion. He had his picture with said lion, Cecil, posted on the net. He got a lot of shade thrown his way....ruined his practice, disrupted his family. Tragic. You are a CEO of Castlestone Mgmt, right? You also shot a lion. You had your pic put on the net. And you also started getting some real negativity. But you were saved. Flipped. A revelation or a vision, maybe. Came out as an anti, and deflected some of that negativity. And your off shore equity firm stayed strong. Some might call this disingenuous. Not me. I'm not that kind of guy. I prefer to see it as simply well timed. Convenient. ( I will give you credit for your idea to help save the rhino...that goes a long way in my book.) Still, the news articles do stipulate that the $2 million plus bucks you are suing for is the actual cost of your hunts. (you are also quoted as saying you never paid big bucks for a hunt) And that you didn't sue until AFTER your business deal with Jason Stone went south. This prompted my legitimate question of whether or not the suit would have occurred if the venture had skyrocketed. So tens and hundreds of thousands of $$ per trophy animal. And now an anti? Wow. Can you see any reason why questions may be asked? As far as pledging the money from the suit and the rhino boning operation goes, that's a pretty safe bet. Don't get the check book out just yet. Anyway, welcome to AH.
And BTW, nice lion..........................FWB

Eloquently put, flatwater bill, but I humbly doubt we will get an answer.

@angusmurray welcome to AH. How did you happen to run across this website? Random Google search I suppose.

I honestly hope you contribute in a positive way and that joining AH is not just some form of spin control for an ongoing case.

This is completely untrue. I was wishing to breed Rhino for conversation and never to make any money from breeding Rhino. The trophies didn't change size (dramatically shrink) because of any other reason than fraud. Honesty is a quality we shouldn't have to hope for but should expect. You should get your facts correct when you write comments online. Any proceeds from this outcome of this case will be donated to charities or NGO's that help save the environment.
Lol, what NGO do you plan on donating to, Angus? I'm sure you'll make your utmost best to try and undermine South Africa's sovereignty. I'm also interested in hearing your nationality, not necessarily your birthplace but where you place your allegiance other than yourself. You say that honesty is the quality you desire most, well I can assure you I'm about as honest of a person as you could get, though maybe not in a way you desire.

Last edited:
@angusmurray welcome to AH. How did you happen to run across this website? Random Google search I suppose.

I honestly hope you contribute in a positive way and that joining AH is not just some form of spin control for an ongoing case.
I also hope so, though I suspect this is very much just spin control. If I'm right then Mr. Murray is incredibly stupid. What too much money does to the mind and soul. He may have shot big animals but he was never a hunter at heart, just a bored millionaire looking for satisfaction to fill the void. I also am unsure if we'll ever hear from him again on AH. I'm glad that he and his kind are going extinct. They may be getting richer but their numbers are shrinking faster and faster.

Last edited:
Maybe he's having trouble with his gardeners again

Sadly things like this happens more than people realize. Quite often the person who was cheated does not want the publicity. This gives the crook the opportunity to repeat more frauds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimKayaw

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available