Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hey crew,

I scored a .243!
A bit of backstory first...

As I've previously mentioned, IF l could own 1 more rifle... it would be a .243.
The reason being I already own a 308 Norma for big stuff and a .425 Express for REALLY big stuff - but I didn't have anything for smaller stuff like Fallow deer.
Also, my kids, my wife and some female friends (it's amazing how many women want to learn to hunt) have started accompanying me on my deer hunting trips and the smallest rifle l own is a 308 Norma shooting a 175gn pill at 2900fps.
They are happy to use it but l know better... it kicks. Especially to a novice... cue big flinch.

So I got to thinking, IF l ever bought another rifle it would be a nice, small, pleasant shooting rifle. And to me that meant a .243.
Yep, the most boring cartridge l can think of... but you know what? Sometimes boring can be good!
Ammo and components can be found anywhere, as well as load data and rifles in .243 are plentiful.
Although it's a mild cartridge it works well on Fallow with the right projectile and shoots pretty flat.
And importantly for me, it doesn't recoil that hard so with a bit of practice it can be used confidently by new deer hunters.
Plus l actually do like the little .243...

So there's the backstory.
The only problem is l have NO budget for a new rifle! But one can dream...
Well this dream started becoming a reality when l went hunting with @Bob Nelson 35Whelen and he gifted me a set of loading dies in .243!
What an incredibly kind gesture - especially when l didn't even have a rifle in .243 yet!
He also gifted me a packet of LR primers which are a precious commodity in Australia. Thank you so much Bob... it almost seemed like you knew something l didn't...
Seriously, thank you Bob. l owe you one mate.

Y1xQnSs.jpg

The next step was when a dear friend of my wife and I @Kiwifire111 heard l was after a .243... so he messaged me and said he was sending down one of his .243's (a Parker Hale) that he wasn't using for the family to use. I was speechless... he was even putting a scope on it for me...
Now, for anyone who knows Mal, will know what kind of a man he is... put simply there are none finer. I have lost count of the favours he has done for me and my family and l am truly honoured to call this man my friend.
Me writing about this on a forum doesn't fully express just how much l truly appreciate this... it's something l'll never forget.
Thank you.

G06Twhe.jpg

So as unbelievable as it sounds, I now have a rifle and dies...
I was just kinda sitting there wondering how all this was actually happening when there was a knock at the door.
It was the postman with a package addressed to me. It was from @CBH Australia and when l opened it there was 100 pieces of once-fired .243 Winchester brass, a packet of Nosler 95gn Ballistic Tips and a packet of 70gn copper hollow-point Hammer bullets!
I quickly messaged Chris thanking him and of course, he wouldn't except any payment for them.
Talk about generosity.
Wow...
Thank you mate.

IEOfA8N.jpg

So there's the story of how l came into possession of a .243!
And dies and primers!
And brass and projectiles!

All because of people's generosity and wanting to help. It really does blow your mind and I really am just so proud to call these guys mates.
And l can't wait to share a hunting camp or a nice dinner with them again soon.

So what's next?
As soon as the rifle arrives I'm going to work up a nice, accurate load with the 95gn BT and aim for 3000fps.
According to my ADI loading manual 44.5gn of 2213SC (H4831) should get me there...
My ballistic program says that if l can get 2950-3000fps with the 95gn BT it will have an almost identical trajectory as my 308 Norma with 175gn so that would be nice and and handy.
I know Bob isn't a fan of the Nosler Ballistic Tips, but I've been putting out the feelers and everyone I've asked who hunts Fallow with a .243 loves them.
Maybe they've been changed or redesigned...?
I shall let everyone know soon!

So there we go, a nice feel-good story for everyone to read.
As I said, I'm still blown away and just so, so thankful for everyone and what they did...
And really importantly, it's given me the opportunity to introduce new and inexperienced people - who want to learn, to hunting.
And with a rifle they can enjoy shooting... that is just so good.

You see... I WAS meant to have a .243!

Thanks for reading.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
This is wonderful to read. Great kindness from your friends. This is the kind of hunting support we need to provide to each other!
Makes me wonder if we each gave away one of our rifles to someone who would use it, that would make a big impact on hunting. I suspect there are a few here who could give away more than one.

That .243 is going to get some game and make some lifelong impressions on new hunters.

You’ve got some good friends there Russ!
He's a good bloke. Regardless of being a Bad Boy, he's a Bad Boy with a .243 now. Bob is going to put coal in his Christmas stocking.

Russ,
I'm glad I could help. You are already planning to pay it forward by introducing some new hunters to hunting. Surprisingly I hear there are more and people wanting to learn how to hunt to source free range meat. Not to mention you have 2 teens and a couple of little fellas that might make fine hunters one day.

Will be keen to hear about load development and your adventures.

Well Russ you just provided a great Thanksgiving story for us to enjoy.
Thank you.

Shoot straight. Post some pictures of those Fallow.

Thank you to everyone of the generous human beings who helped create this story.

It was a story that was needed today and thoroughly enjoyed.

I was gifted a gun once, a shotgun that was in the trunk of a friend's car in rear-end collision ... but that's another story. I do have a .243 Browning A-Bolt Gold Medal that I got years ago for deer and turkey. Really really nice rifle but I never got into it; now that I think of it I probably haven't shot it in 20 years, may e I should correct that. I found it lacking for larger deer but would be wonderful for prairie goats. Enjoy your new acqusison.

Correct! Man, if something goes wrong with the paperwork l'll have to delete this thread...! :ROFLMAO:
I'm really ignorant of the Australian gun laws and really curious; I mean, this is a .243 not an anti-tank rifle; how difficult can this possibly be? I was under the impression that Australia was like the American west of yesteryear. Are gun laws there really that draconian?

I'm really ignorant of the Australian gun laws and really curious; I mean, this is a .243 not an anti-tank rifle; how difficult can this possibly be? I was under the impression that Australia was like the American west of yesteryear. Are gun laws there really that draconian?

Hey mate,

Depending on the state, Australia has some atrocious gun laws... Have a google and look - but prepared to be shocked :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BookerReno

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles