Issues with the Artistry of Wildlife

Shakka,
Dennis and I hardly spoke, not even a "Hello". He opened his studio door, grabbed a plastic bag the cape was in and set it on a small pile of wood next to the door. I will quote our entire conversation: "Here is your cape, with your name on the dip pack company's tag, keep it frozen". I said "no problem I brought a cooler", and with that he went back into his studio, closing the door behind him. It was neither friendly, nor confrontational. I was there maybe 4 minutes.

Your encounter with him went better then mine.
I saved every single PM, Text and Email.

It has been fascinating reading this. The part that mystifies me is the argument that once he has it you can't have it back. Unless there is a contract that says "mine forever and ever until I consent to give any part of it back" I don't see where he has a leg to stand on. He's choosing to be the bully in this, thinking people believe themselves to have no recourse (IMHO). Someone needs to give him what Hank Jr. described in his song of way back when as an "attitude adjustment" on the matter. OK, mini rant over. Sure does make me appreciate my taxidermist.
The biggest issue is that he can't "find" or won't "find" your trophies unless he wants to. Several people have only received a few of their trophies after driving hours to get them - or have received other people's trophies. Dennis doesn't care about the legal system and no longer has assets to be seized through legal means and has no thought or desire to have additional business so he really doesn't care about anything except doing a few trophies at a time (for cash only). I consider myself lucky to have received my own trophies without further drama - even years later. I just hope the rest of his customers are able to get their trophies back.

Reading entire thread, I came to conclusion it is very strange. Neither is open for business, nor is closed. Like zombie world.

@mark-hunter... Maybe a new business approach/model?

5a983d53-be39-4345-be0b-4b235f65702d-large16x9_zombiesgetty1-561x316.jpg

I'm sure most people would have picked up their trophies from Dennis if he had allowed it. I finally received my trophies after 5 years late last summer. His work quality after his heart attacks was worse than most I have seen from Africa. It is visibly different than his early work. I realize he only has the use of one hand. Finishing the skins he has in possession is his only source of income. Can't change what life has dealt you but he should be allowing people to pick up their trophies/skins and take them to someone else.

Its interesting you mention his quality of work. He posted pictures of these 2 mounts: the bighorn and the tiger about a month and a half ago (posts # 5 and 6 on this thread- he goes by the username * on that site) :

Now I'm no expert at taxidermy but those 2 mounts look pretty good. I assume they were done recently by him. Which raises the questions: has his quality improved now, compared to when he did your mounts, because he recovered more from his heart attack or do these 2 mounts represent the best work he is capable of now but he does subpar work on mounts he doesn't care about??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 6.12.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 6.12.29 AM.png
    5 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Its interesting you mention his quality of work. He posted pictures of these 2 mounts: the bighorn and the tiger about a month and a half ago (posts # 5 and 6 on this thread- he goes by the username * on that site) :

Now I'm no expert at taxidermy but those 2 mounts look pretty good. I assume they were done recently by him. Which raises the questions: has his quality improved now, compared to when he did your mounts, because he recovered more from his heart attack or do these 2 mounts represent the best work he is capable of now but he does subpar work on mounts he doesn't care about??
Fairly certain he mounted those pre-heart attack…circa 2018-19

Interesting, so then why post them in a threat titled mammals of the month (for April 2022) ? I would assume the purpose of that thread was to post mounts you had finished that month or last month (not for work from years ago)...

I’m curious if any of these issues have been brought up on that other forum?

Looks like it has
2DDFEEAA-D412-4738-A30C-148420320203.png

You are correct. I saw pictures of those mounts years ago. He no longer has the use of one arm - permanently.

Hoogmoed kom tot n val… aka A mans pride will bring him low

The biggest issue is that he can't "find" or won't "find" your trophies unless he wants to. Several people have only received a few of their trophies after driving hours to get them - or have received other people's trophies. Dennis doesn't care about the legal system and no longer has assets to be seized through legal means and has no thought or desire to have additional business so he really doesn't care about anything except doing a few trophies at a time (for cash only). I consider myself lucky to have received my own trophies without further drama - even years later. I just hope the rest of his customers are able to get their trophies back.

So why won't he return customer's trophies to them?? What benefit does he get from having these capes sit in his freezer's or in storage at his studio ? If anything keeping all those freezers running just adds to his electrical bill... He has no financial benefit from keeping them. Not to mention the stress from having people calling you, being after you etc... To mention nothing of the ethical issues of doing this to your customers. I assume clearing up this mess would be a huge weight off his shoulders. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't wish what happened to him on anyone, but damn why not clear up this mess??

Also, not really my business, but it maybe relevant to people who have trophies still with him; you mentioned he has no assets but I think he is still in possession of the property where his home and shop is located? Would that not be an asset the legal system could seize ?

Another interesting thing, i read somewhere on that taxidermy forum that he was at the latest World Taxidermy championships that were held a few weeks back... And he is also posting pictures of years old mounts on a thread for the latest ones. Its quite strange what he is up to. I guess things in the world of zombie taxidermy run different

I've followed and read through all this crap from the beginning. I researched and kept up with the Harris postings on this forum. At one time I was thinking of using him for some work. But even the posts of a few years ago had an "edge" to them I didn't care for. Luckily, I never used him. Even before his physical issues, he was showing odd behavior traits. At some point I usually give up trying to understand why certain people do things that defy simple logic or who exhibit irrational behavior. I believe there is and has been more to this story than can be explained by his most recent physical issues and impairment. I hope those who have missing items get it sorted out, but it doesn't look good. :( Unfortunately, taxidermy seems to attract some odd practitioners. This story of a taxidermist gone wacky/MIA is by no means unique. I lost a cape and head to one a long time ago. Again, lucky in that it was not a particularly great or meaningful trophy and IIRC my deposit at that time was fairly small. Looking back, I consider that a very inexpensive education.

Reviving a dead horse :S Beat Dead Horse: Anyone with any recent contact ? I tried email last week- no response.

If the pics he's been posting elsewhere are recent, then I'd say he's gotten his mojo back. Please don't skewer me as I clearly do not have a dog in the race.
1150C219-4518-4DB9-9341-504C77DA4907.jpeg

Dennis may be mounting the next greatest piece as I type this; however, in my opinion, for him to really go out on top, he needs to be calling the next torch bearer with an offer such as, “I can send you X number of heads per year. Might I get 15% of said referrals?” However, for this to work, pride might have to be swallowed and the absolute best must be called. Of course, the rate could be negotiated. 15% was just an arbitrary starting point.
Dennis, by his own account, is also working "quite often" with Daniel Meng who would certainly satisfy the parameters of the above.

Dennis, by his own account, is also working "quite often" with Daniel Meng who would certainly satisfy the parameters of the above.

I have very good info that Daniel helping Dennis is very dated info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have very good info that Daniel helping Dennis is very dated info
Understand. The only info I have is what he posted Monday and why I prefaced with, "by his own account." Nevertheless, if you've got Daniel's ear, please tell him to reserve a leopard spot for me as I hope to need him in a couple months.

1687988236506.png

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesireeBet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?