Issues with the Artistry of Wildlife

Then roll up at his shop and start making demands. That is ridiculous.
Believe me, we have considered it. His shop is 9 hours away, so it is not a quick trip. I keep hoping he will call and say he has them done, like he has some others. Maybe not.

Believe me, we have considered it. His shop is 9 hours away, so it is not a quick trip. I keep hoping he will call and say he has them done, like he has some others. Maybe not.

I know the way there if you need repo help.....it was a 12 hour drive from our house.

Then roll up at his shop and start making demands. That is ridiculous.
Agreed but people from this forum have tried that and it hasn't gone well. Suddenly he can't find the trophies, or he has given out the wrong ones. Not a great outcome for anyone. I am open to other ideas.

Agreed but people from this forum have tried that and it hasn't gone well. Suddenly he can't find the trophies, or he has given out the wrong ones. Not a great outcome for anyone. I am open to other ideas.

Or....he threatens to call the local PD

It there any update on this situation?? A good friend of mine has a grizzly with Dennis based on on my recommendation. Dennis has had it for 2 years already. Dennis has NOT responded to him in over 6 months after countless messages, phone calls etc..... My friend just wants the hide back at this point so he can move on. Doe anyone have any way at all to contact Dennis? Better yet suggestion on how to get his one in a lifetime trophy back? Thanks, 163BC

Well, Sunday was interesting. Got an email from Dennis early Sunday explaining that he had three of my pieces done, and would bring them to me the first week of May. Late in the evening, he sent pictures of the finished pieces, and prices. I was shocked for sure, but glad to be getting some of my stuff.

Well, Sunday was interesting. Got an email from Dennis early Sunday explaining that he had three of my pieces done, and would bring them to me the first week of May. Late in the evening, he sent pictures of the finished pieces, and prices. I was shocked for sure, but glad to be getting some of my stuff.
Prices go up did they?

Before Dennis had his health problems he was quite personable, I know that he responded to my questions quite quickly either by email or PM.

But when his life was turned upside down and came closer to death than most of us ever want to things have changed.

I believe that most if not all of his workers have moved on to other shops, but Dennis I'd doing his best to keep his comments that he had before his problems

He has stated that he was not taking on any new work and that his existing clients would be all that he was going to have.

His organization might not be the best but he keeps on putting out work. He was never the fastest taxidermist but he is one of the best at what he does.

I always like when a guy gives you a price quote than takes years to do the job. We he finally gets done he bills you todays prices. As hunters get older and hunting gets less popular these guys will develop a different attitude.

Why do you all use this person knowing it will end badly?

I dont have a dog in this fight.
But Dennis had excellent reputation, and rapport with clients, till his medical emergency came up. Then business as usall, stopped.

Now, he is catching up with old orders.
I understand both sides. It is unwanted situation, that just happened.

No matter the situation communication is the most important part of any business....ignoring customers for months on end never works out well....

I agree that communication should be number one in a business priority, but if the business wasn't good doing it in the beginning they aren't going to change. And not knowing just what Dennis has to complete and how long he can
can work each day complicates matters as far as coming up with a time that he can return phone calls and or emails. Depending on his circumstances doing that could take up time that he could be working on mounts.

No matter the situation communication is the most important part of any business....ignoring customers for months on end never works out well....
I agree with you!
Lets put it this way, after what all has happened, this is salvage operation, with communication issues and some positive signs... clients finally started getting their orders.
However, this is not ordirnary - business - as - usual - situation.

Why do you all use this person knowing it will end badly?
I used him and had zero problems. Of course, this was before, his nearly fatal heart attack. His reputation was one of the best taxidermist is the USA. I know other had issues before that, but like most things your are two versions to each story. On my order, he kept me informed my email on receipt of the hide and horns at the fur dressing company, his receipt of the hide in his shop and an email when he was ready to start and to set up a call time to discuss how I wanted each item. He had them ready 2 years to the day that I left South Africa. He personally delivered them to my home in Texas from his shop in Michigan, with other folks to split his driving costs.

I am sure, that he has more then enough work to keep him busy. I am glad to hear that folks are still getting there work, just very late. I understand that no one like to wait, but for me the quality of work that I received was worth the wait. All the work was excellent and the Waterbuck and Gemsbok are outstanding.

If someone is working at rebuilding from an unfortunate situation, as seems to be the case here, then they deserve praise and encouragement. I didnt realise old Dennis had been through so much. I wish him well, but he should communicate better as others have said. Like all of us oldies he needs some young blood to take the reins.

I'm amazed by how inconsistent experiences are with Dennis.

I had Dennis do our first safari, and I can assure everyone that these issues, although exasperated by his recent medical issues, were still present in my experience. Communication and organization were lacking; however, quality was very good.

The quality was so good that it would nearly tempt me to send another safari--that is until I recall the wrong poses, misplaced invoices, failed recollection of verbal agreements, and downright dishonesty.

Quality is certainly critical to me when selecting a taxidermist, but so is organization and cataloguing. In the event of death, foreclosure, bankruptcy, divorce, etc., I want to be able to recover my capes and horns no matter the stage of production. Unfortunately, these stories and my own experience do nothing to regain my confidence in this particular operation.

I currently have safaris at two only studios. Upon receiving work, I will complete an honest and complete review with pictures. Perhaps we should start Taxidermist reviews on this forum.

I’ve never used this particular artist but I do have a close friend who has three separate safaris of stuff laying in the pile somewhere Gods best to all involved

I've used Dennis for 2 full safaris, a brown bear, and some repair work in the last several years. I have other friends who have done that much with him if not more. He always came thru for me and others. I have quite a bit of taxidermy and Dennis work is as good as any i have ever seen. I'm hoping he can get his current troubles under control and get his clients their animals. If not completed yet hopefully he give his clients the option to pick up any unfinished work and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ibet68m4com

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]