Is this normal behavior by a Safari outfitter?

franzfmdavis

AH veteran
Reaction score
In April of 2024, I book a trip for April 2025 for myself and 3 other hunters. After we booked our flights, we realized that we would be in country for one additional day that we could use to hunt. I communicated this to the outfitter and they said they could accommodate the extra hunting day at a certain per day per hunter ($180). There was no indication in our correspondence that this daily rate was subject to change without notice.

I recently inquired about a different issue and the outfitter referenced our trip without the extra day. When I reminded them that we had confirmed an extra day, I was told in response that they could accommodate that but the daily had had been increased to over 120% of the previously confirmed price ($420).

Though I provided them with copies of the email correspondence through which we had confirmed and reserved the extra day, they maintained that "all prices are subject to change without prior notice." They referred me to a welcome letter they had sent which did state this at a couple places in the letter.

To me, this seems unfair and unreasonable, but perhaps it is a common expectation? I would appreciate any thoughts.

I did speak with @Ruraldoc about this since he has hunted with the same outfitter, and he also thought it was unreasonable and recommended I speak with the owner (rather than the administrator, with whom I have been communicating). I am planning to do so per his recommendation, but welcome additional input before I do so.

As I'm sure you can all imagine, if "all prices are subject to change without prior notice," I could choose to hunt a certain animal listed at a certain price and then after killing the animal be informed that the price had changed to more than double? That is not palatable to my sense of fairness.

Poor business practice in my opinion. Bigger picture, they are in the service / hospitality business and this misses the mark. It’s things like this that will have me switching to a different company regardless of industry.
This drives the question - is this the level of customer service I should expect for the trip? If this is how you are treated now, how will you be treated on the trip. Tons of great outfitters out there….

I am not sure if I understand this correctly.
Did they increase day rate only for one additional day, or they increased the rates for entire stay, all days of planned trip?

What outfitter is it? Other forum members may have experience with them if they extended their stays. I hunted the NW province in 2021, booked for 8 days and hunted 9 days, I wasn’t charged the extra day as long as I shot an animal on the last day. I shot 2. This was during the covid crap and many outfitters were striking any deals they could to make up for lost revenue.

What outfitter is it? Other forum members may have experience with them if they extended their stays. I hunted the NW province in 2021, booked for 8 days and hunted 9 days, I wasn’t charged the extra day as long as I shot an animal on the last day. I shot 2. This was during the covid crap and many outfitters were striking any deals they could to make up for lost revenue.
I don’t want to name the outfitter at this juncture because the unrealistic expectation maybe mine and I don’t want to negatively affect their future business.

Communication should be honored but is the rate being quoted a regular full daily rate? The first part is weird but so is being quoted 180 for a day rate...that's really low. Just trying to understand what happened. Also, it's wise not to name them at this point. We aren't burning bridges but trying to understand the issue.

Talk to the OWNER.

If you have a confirmation of the extra day at $180 then you should be set with any respectable Outfit.

Someone on their end screwed up, it is on them. They confirmed it.

Personally, if I can not trust your word I will not do business with you. Hanging their hat on "prices are subject to change without notice" is BS.

This is not an Elephant hunt on Communal lands in the hinterlands where you are trying to buy a second tag in the field. This is a Plains Game hunt in a country where the law requires the Outfitter to have signed agreements for any property/concession before he ever starts selling hunts. The price, if they are reputable, is set.
If the Outfitter oversold some species and then has to acquire more quota (for lack of a better word) and the price goes up for him, Who's fault is that??? The hunter headed toward Africa on a plane who believes he already has a deal! No bloody way.

I hope you get it sorted.

PS. I nearly abandoned dozens of trophies in Botswana due to additional fees being added after the fact. After a year I told the Outfitter to sort it out with the Taxidermy/Dip&Pack or every trophy for 12 hunters would be abandoned at the end of the month. I was done. I refused to be held hostage by an unethical operator.

Finally, the owner and I chatted and we resolved the "extra fees" BS. Of course not before several trophies were destroyed through rot during the wait. In the end two huge trophies of mine evaporated. Where? Who can say.

The main reason, I am reluctant to this day, to hunt in Botswana.

The assumption that caught me out: In RSA there are taxidermists around every corner and you have choices. When a taxidermist tried a surprise fee increase I had another pick up everyone's trophies the next day. Problem solved.
In Botswana there is effectively ONE taxidermist in the COUNTRY.

Lesson learned.

I am trying not to rant and lose my mind. I HATE this kind of thing. HATE IT.

Last edited:
In my experience the term prices subject to change applied up until an agreement is made.
I hunted with a forum sponsor last year that I booked with for 2022. Had to postpone an extra year due to covid.
He stuck to the agreed price even though I said I understood changes due to the circumstances.

Just to clarify in case it wasn’t clear in my original post, the original days were purchased as part of a package and then we were trying to add one additional day. Presently, it’s only the cost of the additional day that is an issue, but I am concerned that their position is “all prices can change without prior notice” then the package cost and animal costs are all subject to possible change.

Brickburn brings up a good point that I failed to mention...prices are subject to change with no notice...that's what a hunt contract is for. I get that in some places the trophy fees can change but daily rates and quoted prices? No way. That's locked in.

Just the one additional day that had been requested and confirmed as of May 28th.
Possible change of prices is standard clause in many hunting contracts, and you can find it on many outfitters web pages.
But changes for one additional day, is unusual.

My advice, ask clearly are there any additional costs you may be charged with?
Such as drive from and to airport, gun rental, some other services, additional drinks, etc
Clarify clearly in writing, day rates as per previous agreement will stay the same?
Ask for clarification.

In my experience the term prices subject to change applied up until an agreement is made.
I hunted with a forum sponsor last year that I booked with for 2022. Had to postpone an extra year due to covid.
He stuck to the agreed price even though I said I understood changes due to the circumstances.
That is a respectable Outfitter. (y)

I have told young PHs that you are in the customer service business...you just sell hunts instead of burgers or computers. This was done in a coaching supportive context but some need to hear it. Most get it and the good ones embrace it. Every situation is an opportunity for good service. That's what sells repeat hunts and word of mouth advertising.

That’s a bummer.

I saw who @Ruraldoc has hunted with. This is a large outfit with lots of hunters. Many happy here with them, Others not.

I guess the package price was $180 a day. But I do see on their current 24/25 price list $420 per day listed

looks like someone miss spoke - they should honor the previous conversation with you even if they “messed up” “miss spoke”
It is kinda a tough one…

I hope they just give you the extra day at the fee they said and you guys hunt it up and make it worth their while. That’s how a good outfit should handle this situation. But maybe they don’t care as they stay busy with donation hunts it seems.

Talk to the OWNER.

If you have a confirmation of the extra day at $180 then you should be set with any respectable Outfit.

Someone on their end screwed up, it is on them. They confirmed it.

Personally, if I can not trust your word I will not do business with you. Hanging their hat on "prices are subject to change without notice" is BS.

I hope you get it sorted.

PS. I nearly abandoned dozens of trophies in Botswana due to additional fees being added after the fact. After a year I told the Outfitter to sort it out with the Taxidermy/Dip&Pack or every trophy for 12 hunters would be abandoned at the end of the month. I was done. I refused to be held hostage by an unethical operator.

Finally, the owner and I chatted and we resolved the "extra fees" BS. Of course not before several trophies were destroyed through rot during the wait. In the end two huge trophies of mine evaporated. Where? Who can say.

The main reason, I am reluctant to this day, to hunt in Botswana.

The assumption that caught me out: In RSA there are taxidermists around every corner and you have choices. When a taxidermist tried a surprise fee increase I had another pick up everyone's trophies the next day. Problem solved.
In Botswana there is effectively ONE taxidermist in the COUNTRY.

Lesson learned.
Good advice
we saw a 7 day hunt on here for a set price, booked it then decided 10days was much
better plan, contacted the agent and where told the set date was the set date
i emailed the owner and his reply was no problem “ what animals would you like to add to buffalo?”
the owner calls the shots imo

Hmmm...you say a lot of donation hunts and my radar turns on quickly. If you get around the operators that do a lot of that...you will often find there is a lot of pressure to buy more than the package that was in the auction, donation, etc. Some of my brothers here like those hunts...I do not. I'm looking for relationships/friendships to grow from hunting and those don't usually come from the assembly line operators that are running volume vs quality. It's how a lot of people enter the safari experience but if you hunt long enough, you end up wanting something different. Just my .02

Hmmm...you say a lot of donation hunts and my radar turns on quickly. If you get around the operators that do a lot of that...you will often find there is a lot of pressure to buy more than the package that was in the auction, donation, etc. Some of my brothers here like those hunts...I do not. I'm looking for relationships/friendships to grow from hunting and those don't usually come from the assembly line operators that are running volume vs quality. It's how a lot of people enter the safari experience but if you hunt long enough, you end up wanting something different. Just my .02
Exactly

He said a package hunt not an auction or donated hunt or did I miss something, definitely two different animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pedro villarreal