Is the 9.3 x 62 enough gun?

I have only used my 9.3X62 on Elk here in Colo. it is an excellent round when loaded with 286 Premium bullets. I'm sure it has the power to get the job done with proper bullet placement and if a follow-up is not required on a wounded bear. In that case I'm sure the guide would have powerful back-up, but the 9.3 would be on the light side, for a follow-up.

I agree with the weather issue, a synthetic stock is almost a must in Alaska's rains. If yours is in a wood stock, I would highly recommend a second syn. stock for Alaska and even a coating like Dura-Coat, for the metal, easily applied yourself.

Also you should scope any rifle as other have recommended with a low power scope. Do consider the QD mounts and rings as others have suggested, so you can still use the peep. You can if needed use witness marks for the peep to return it to zero should it have to be slide it out of its dovetail for the scope mount.

Also the Ill. Ret is a must for me, they are great in early morning light or failing evening light.

That all being said I tend to follow Elmer Keith's advice....."Too Much Gun Beats the Alternative EVERY TIME". If it were me going on this hunt I would take my 458 Win mag with a syn stock and topped with a low power Ill Ret scope.

Good luck on the hunt.

How much energy is enough to be a bear stopper? 3000 ft lbs? 3500? 4500?

How much energy is enough to be a bear stopper? 3000 ft lbs? 3500? 4500?

Well, I can tell you from experience that a .375 H&H driving 270 gr Swift A-Frames will turn a brown bear into a bag of jelly. In that vein, I would have zero concern facing one with a 9.3x62 shooting a similar bullet.

Among my Alaskan buddies, the .375 is on the heavy end of what is typical. The .338 is pretty typical for a bear rifle.

I will say that I have known two guys who got chewed on after being surprised by an unprovoked charge while hunting something else. Both were carrying .30-06’s, both got bullets into the bears that failed to stop the charge and resulted in a good chewing. I’m not sure that you can draw a lot from this. However, after using lighter rifles, I’ve come to the point that a .325 WSM or similar is about as light as I’m going to go in grizzly country.

Well, I can tell you from experience that a .375 H&H driving 270 gr Swift A-Frames will turn a brown bear into a bag of jelly. In that vein, I would have zero concern facing one with a 9.3x62 shooting a similar bullet.

Among my Alaskan buddies, the .375 is on the heavy end of what is typical. The .338 is pretty typical for a bear rifle.

I will say that I have known two guys who got chewed on after being surprised by an unprovoked charge while hunting something else. Both were carrying .30-06’s, both got bullets into the bears that failed to stop the charge and resulted in a good chewing. I’m not sure that you can draw a lot from this. However, after using lighter rifles, I’ve come to the point that a .325 WSM or similar is about as light as I’m going to go in grizzly country.
I agree. My brother took a Kodiak with one shot from a 338, it missed B&C by half an inch. 9.3x62 is plenty of gun for whatever is in front of it in North America. I’m not clear why anyone would enter into grizzly country with anything smaller than a 338, you’re literally betting your life on it.

I think 9.3 x 62 is fine. I remember shooting a giraffe in the shoulder and it was over quickly. It’s a very powerful round with a lot of history and tradition.

He was Norwegian, had a large collection of all kinds of guns which were used often. Olympic 1912 he was in also. One large safari 1913-1914. Alaska and lot on the continent. He knew T.R, Elmer Keith, Krupp. Hunted with Krupp in Trøndelag and much more. Also ballistician work he developed and ,just slightly post ww2,helped to set up definitions for new Sniper,as he worked with Army also . Owned about 80 weapons .

loved Fallblocks, double rifles, and much more. works.https://digitaltmuseum.no/011022729721/gevaer

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.16 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.17 AM.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.19 AM.png
    293.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.23 AM.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.14.27 AM.png
    515.3 KB · Views: 72
I have always hunted my Grizzlies with a .338 Winchester Magnum. Initially, I preferred the old 300Gr Winchester Power Point factory load. In more recent years, I have come to prefer the 250Gr Nosler Partition.

To answer your question- Yes. The 9.3x62mm Mauser is an excellent choice for hunting Grizzly bears. Just use 286Gr Swift A Frames. I see that Nosler no longer offers their 286Gr Partition factory load for the 9.3x62mm Mauser. How sad.

I have always hunted my Grizzlies with a .338 Winchester Magnum. Initially, I preferred the old 300Gr Winchester Power Point factory load. In more recent years, I have come to prefer the 250Gr Nosler Partition.

To answer your question- Yes. The 9.3x62mm Mauser is an excellent choice for hunting Grizzly bears. Just use 286Gr Swift A Frames. I see that Nosler no longer offers their 286Gr Partition factory load for the 9.3x62mm Mauser. How sad.
Glad I stocked up on the partitions for mine several years ago. For non dangerous game I prefer Norma 232 grain fodder.

you do not need a stout bullet for bear including the big one. you re late on the menu for hunting one in bc seems the last place for it now is alaska. on the good bullet the oryx will have my preference not stout and not too strong.

I have been using the 62 & 64 for many years in Australia on pigs. For the 62 I have mainly used the GECO 255 grain express. It’s always been decisive.
It’s a superb cartridge and very balanced, much more than the 64 in my experience. It’s used on smaller game in Europe with the right bullet.
The 270 Speer would be a good choice on pigs,, and not to expensive.

the 9.3x62 is a sufficient cartridge, but it should not be forgotten that its origin was created to work with black powder.

if you need to buy a new rifle I prefer to do it in 338wm

Another thing is that you already have the rifle at home.

Would you consider a bolt action 9.3 x 62 an adequate cartridge to hunt the big coastal grizzly bears of BC/Alaska?
Other potential candidates in my gun safe are a .338 RUM, .458 Win Mag both bolt actions and a double rifle chambered in .500 Nitro Express.
Of these four firearms, which do you think is the best choice?
If your 9.3x 62 can't do it nothing will, I think it's more than enough!

the 9.3x62 is a sufficient cartridge, but it should not be forgotten that its origin was created to work with black powder.

The 9,3x62 was born in 1905 well into the smokeless powder age.

The 9.3×74mmR is a rimmed cartridge that evolved from the 9.3×72mmR black powder cartridge......

The 9.3x62mm had nothing to do with black powder nor was it based on any black powder cartridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudolfKirk

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]