is it worth 15 extra hours to fly Qatar vs Delta?

looking at next April to SA, I will have to fly out of Sioux Falls, SD on American Airlines to Fort Worth in order to fly Qatar and the flight to Joburg will be 37 hours not counting the time from SD. If I fly Delta thru Atlanta the flight will be 22 hours plus the flight time from SD. the price is only 300.00 less on Qatar than Delta (flying economy, possible to upgrade to comfort plus on both airlines), so is it worth the extra 15 hours on Qatar? The nice thing about Delta is I can get a direct flight from SD to Atlanta if I don't mind leaving at 5:30 am, for the Qatar flight I will have to fly American Airlines from SD to Fort Worth then get my bags and gun case and then get on Qatar. thoughts? thanks Jim
Not to me and I have done both. The difference is hunting time for me. Given I do not want to retire yet time matters a ton to me

What do you value your time at?

Like @mdwest i regularly fly Qatar from DFW and/or IAH due to being able to use my Executive Platinum status for extra bags/upgrades/early boarding/seat choice or being able to use reward miles for the tickets. I have a layover regardless so me this adds about 4-7 hours of additional flight time making it worth it. If I was paying for the ticket and not using reward miles/status I’d need to see about a $1000 savings to justify the extra 8-10 hours travel time.

That said, I’m presently looking at taking either Turkish Airways or Air France on one of my next trips (not bringing firearms) to intentionally take a longer layover and spend a day/night there sightseeing before flying into JNB. I’d save well over $1000 per ticket and get to spend a day plus touring another city.

You can’t go wrong with sightseeing in either place. If you take Turkish, in case you are unaware, security at IST takes a very long time and it’s a long way from the city center, plan accordingly.

First Eco is Eco. That said Qatar I think might be nicer. I say, I think as I only have B Class experience on Qatar. I do have Eco & Business on Emirates. Emirates Eco beats hand down any USA carrier on service & food and would suspect Qatar is on par with Emirates. For the $300 price difference I would prefer to fly direct. Now, if you were getting a long day-time layover in Doha and have time for a Day tour, I would take the Doha stop.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

You have several choices. Qatar, Emirates, and Delta.

The thing I HATE about Delta is twofold. 1.) You may not be able to get a redeye flight that morning swift enough to get you to ATL in time for the flight...so much for saving time. 2.) You have to reclaim your rifles in ATL and then re-check them in for the overseas route. Again, you're adding risks and uncertainties.

I've flown Emirates (37 hours in, about 27 hours home) many many times. Both coach and business. I consider it worth the trouble because the cattle class is just a smidge smaller than business class British Airways USA to London. I'm a gigantic human and I'm not uncomfortable in Emirates coach.

For Qatar, the biggest fan on this forum is @Philip Glass and he may have wisdom for you as well. I'm sure he'll say Qatar is better than the Delta approach.

Lastly, I'd like to talk about gun laws. If there is one thing a Muslim country does not tolerate, its guns circulating in their country. When you fly Emirates (I'm guessing Qatar too) they take the guns really seriously. You do your own gun permit on their website which is easy. You get a pre-approval from their Dubai security. The guns check through from USA all the way to Africa. When you get on the plane in Dubai, police and security are on their walkie talkies confirming "Mr. Smith is boarding the plane now, please put the rifles on the plane". This level of chain-of-custody is far better than any other airline I've experienced. My first hunt was half-ruined because I used a sponsor of this site to book all my airline arrangements. They assured me the guns would check through and the useless RSA flight people swore the guns were on the plane. They were not. They had to be rechecked by SAPS but nobody that knew better told me that.

Bottom line. Emirates is worth it. Qatar may be worth it too.

Been checking flights to Joburg next March. On United all the way, IAD-EWR-JNB cheap seats $1700, EWR-JNB $2200 so I'm flying the shuttle from Dulles to Newark then taking the same EWR-JNB flight for $500 more. So for $500 less, I get an extra plane ride, about five hours of layover and more time enroute. The only plus is checking in rifles at Dulles has been easier. I'm guessing the state of NJ has to get their pound of flesh.

@rookhawk I’m not following you on not being able to get a flight to Atlanta in time for the Delta flight to JNB. That flight departs in the evening so I can’t imagine not being able to get there from anywhere in North America. Am I misunderstanding something???

@rookhawk I’m not following you on not being able to get a flight to Atlanta in time for the Delta flight to JNB. That flight departs in the evening so I can’t imagine not being able to get there from anywhere in North America. Am I misunderstanding something???

I am flying from Bozeman mt to Atlanta direct and I will have 1 1/2 hour layover before the 9:55 to Johannesburg. Don’t like how tight the layover is but I really like that the trip will be very fast.
This will be my 5th time with Delta (comfort class ) and I have no complaints. YET !

Back in the olden days, I looked at this from ORD (Chicago) and the earliest Delta flight in the day left only 90 mins to catch your ATL to JHB leg. If that flight was late, or picked the wrong end of the terminal, or there was a line at check in for TSA, you could be cooked. I now live near a Delta hub so it may not be a big deal from MSP, but it was at O’Hare.

My main depart airport is IAH (Houston)
I did United 1 time in business because was best price that was 2022, and the last time I will do United. Going was ok, return was a nightmare.
Qatar done business 2 times. Both great flights and had short layovers in Doha both ways. 3 hours or less. Choose it because got great price on tickets. 2021 and 2023
Delta my other 3 trips and at current prices and now longer layover in Doha will stay with Delta. Time is worth more now than comfort in business class. Did Delta Premium this last trip. Was not worth the upgrade to me, will stay with Comfort+ from now on. I can get flights from Houston to Atlanta easy with 2-4 hour layovers. I try for 2 hours going and 4 hours on return.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

You have several choices. Qatar, Emirates, and Delta.

The thing I HATE about Delta is twofold. 1.) You may not be able to get a redeye flight that morning swift enough to get you to ATL in time for the flight...so much for saving time. 2.) You have to reclaim your rifles in ATL and then re-check them in for the overseas route. Again, you're adding risks and uncertainties.

I've flown Emirates (37 hours in, about 27 hours home) many many times. Both coach and business. I consider it worth the trouble because the cattle class is just a smidge smaller than business class British Airways USA to London. I'm a gigantic human and I'm not uncomfortable in Emirates coach.

For Qatar, the biggest fan on this forum is @Philip Glass and he may have wisdom for you as well. I'm sure he'll say Qatar is better than the Delta approach.

Lastly, I'd like to talk about gun laws. If there is one thing a Muslim country does not tolerate, its guns circulating in their country. When you fly Emirates (I'm guessing Qatar too) they take the guns really seriously. You do your own gun permit on their website which is easy. You get a pre-approval from their Dubai security. The guns check through from USA all the way to Africa. When you get on the plane in Dubai, police and security are on their walkie talkies confirming "Mr. Smith is boarding the plane now, please put the rifles on the plane". This level of chain-of-custody is far better than any other airline I've experienced. My first hunt was half-ruined because I used a sponsor of this site to book all my airline arrangements. They assured me the guns would check through and the useless RSA flight people swore the guns were on the plane. They were not. They had to be rechecked by SAPS but nobody that knew better told me that.

Bottom line. Emirates is worth it. Qatar may be worth it too.
Unless you fly a completely different itinerary to Atlanta you do not have to recheck guns at Atlanta with Delta. Nearly all flying with delta will check in with delta at their home airport. That’s last you’ll touch guns until Johannesburg. Delta from Atlanta is an evening flight too so generally lots of time to get to Atlanta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneLeung

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]